Which is better, dedicated button box or multi-func. wheel hub?

• Thread starter AussieStig
  • 3 comments

Dedicated Button Boxes VS Wheel Hub / Button Box

• Dedicated Button Box:

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Multi-Func. Wheel Hub:

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Australia
The Netherlands
Hey guys, last time I asked you all about dedicated button boxes. I am in two minds on what might be best, a dedicated button box, or a multi-functional wheel hub with enough controls on it to replace said button box? Look forward to seeing what you guys think. Cheers, Mark

Q. If you choose a multi-functional wheel hub like in the pic here below, what would be your perfect amount and type of control layout?
Q. Would you want a wheel hub to have adjustable pods to accommodate multiple rim types?
Q. Would an integrated screen be a pre or an add-on?
Q. What do you think a reasonable price would be?
Q. Would the wheel hub need to be cross-platform compatible?

SSRG-Comp_300_2018_01-min.jpg

Cross platform a big one for for me but I don't see any wheel hub replacing button boxes - some sims just need sooooo many controls and if you play multiple sims the problem magnifies.

For Project Cars 2 for example I use all 9 buttons, the rotary encoder, and the directional pad on my wheel PLUS the 23 keys on my USB number pad that I mount like a button box. And to be honest, that is still not enough.

Cross platform a big one for for me but I don't see any wheel hub replacing button boxes - some sims just need sooooo many controls and if you play multiple sims the problem magnifies.

For Project Cars 2 for example I use all 9 buttons, the rotary encoder, and the directional pad on my wheel PLUS the 23 keys on my USB number pad that I mount like a button box. And to be honest, that is still not enough.
I have to agree. The combo is the best option. Some things you aren't going to use constantly, but you will use, can go on a button box. Immediate controls like DRS, ERS, Pit Limiter, etc. should stay on the wheel. I use that setup myself with my G920. I have a button box mounted right above my shifter, so while resting my hand on the knob I can easily access buttons like lights, wipers, call for pit, etc.

Using both is so ingrained into me at this point, I can't imagine just having to use one or the other.

I switch out wheels often depending on what car I’m driving for personal enjoyment/preference. A button box would offer more consistency in the multitude of variables.

Latest Posts

Back