Which of these is better graphically. PS3 or..

• Thread starter poe64
  • 8 comments
..my PC.

I have Athlon 11 x 4 640 3.0 ghz cpu
Geforce GTX 460 SE
Monitor is 1080 hd.

I've set up Nvidia AA X 16 and AF etc.

Is the PS3 more powerful than my average PC?

If so, what should I upgrade first to get to the same quality or better than the PS3? Will I need to upgrade my Motherboard?

It's just that even Project cars on my PC doesn't quite look or play as realistic as GT5 on my PS3. The 66 Cobra is brilliant in GT5 but nothing on my PC from any sim is even close.
Do I need more resolution or is it just the way the games are made?

Feel free to move this post if I'm in the wrong section. Can't figure out where to post sometimes.

Cheers for any advice from any graphics experts.

Last edited:
basically the PS3 uses 2 Quad Cores while one is lock so its using 7 cores, graphic card is above from what I heard, Monitor well if your tv is also 1080 then those are the same.

I think you have to play with the settings to get what you want some games settings are based weak to handle on weaker systems but not always change for the current settings.

How much RAM does your PC have? At the moment I'd say that the PS3 would beat it hands down.

basically the PS3 uses 2 Quad Cores while one is lock so its using 7 cores, graphic card is above from what I heard, Monitor well if your tv is also 1080 then those are the same.

I think you have to play with the settings to get what you want some games settings are based weak to handle on weaker systems but not always change for the current settings.

Wow..I didn't realise PS3 had 2 Quads.
Thanks for all the info.

The PS3 does not have 2 quad core processors, it's one processor with 8 "cores", 6 cores are available for games/software to use, one core is dedicated to XMB and underlying OS operations, and the last core is unused.

The PS3 only has 256mb of system and 256mb of video RAM

The graphics chipset is based on the NVidia NV47, GeForce 7 Series.

#1 pCARS is still in Alpha stage and really shouldn't serve as a graphical / performance benchmark; it is anything BUT optimized at this point.

#2 I don't know what kind of motherboard you have... Or what your financial capability in upgrading is. Post this and we can help you further.

#3 What kind of RAM do you currently have?

#4 What kind of power supply?

#5 What kind of case and airflow?

Graphically? A 460 can walk circles around the RSX day and night, simple as that.

Comparing your CPU to the CBE is, well, pointless as they were fabbed with different intents and computational loads in mind; if you placed the CBE as it were now it'd struggle, nay, it'd fall flat on it's face compared to any modern desktop CPU. Alternatively, if you took any modern day CPU and placed any of them in an environment where CBE was built to excel they'd fall flat on their faces.

Last edited:
It's just that I was driving the 66 AC cobra and it is stunning....

Just had a look at GT5 again and I think it's just because the game designers and artists of GT5 are just really good.
Wish they would make a PC version.

Thanks for the input anyway.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back