Which Porsche's are the RUF's?

• Thread starter Tigra
  • 12 comments
Couldn't find this anywhere else, so can someone who knows this for CERTAIN please answer: Which Porsche models are these RUF's based on?

Answered so far :) :

RUF 3400s - Porsche Boxter
RUF BTR TypeII - Porsche 993
RUF CTR Yellow Bird - Porsche 911
RUF CTR2 - Porsche 993
RUF RGT - Porsche 996

Edit: Thats all, thanks! :)

Tigra
Couldn't find this anywhere else, so can someone who knows this for CERTAIN please answer: Which Porsche models are these RUF's based on?

Answered so far:

RUF 3400s - ?
RUF BTR TypeII - ?
RUF CTR Yellow Bird - ?
RUF CTR2 - ?
RUF RGT - ?
The 3400s is based off the Boxter
Ruf BTR Type II is based off the 993 chassis
Yellow Bird was built on a 1987 911 chassis
The CTR2 is based off the 993 chassis
The RGT is based off the 996 chassis

AO

Der Alta

AO
For those of you that are confused by all the numbers.
The Yellow bird and BTR are based on a mid-'80's 911
TheCTR is based on the mid-90's AWD 911 chassis
The RGT is based on the mid-90's RR 911 chassis.

AS an aside...
Tigra, are you somewhere you don't see too many Porsches?
In this part of KS (Doctor and Professional Athlete ville) I've gotten to where I sort of take them for granted.

See if you can find any articles that talk about Alois Ruf he is the mastermind responsible for RUF automobiles.

Der Alta

AO

1987 911 chassis - 968 isn't it, or have got that confused with the 986?

Gil
For those of you that are confused by all the numbers.
The Yellow bird is on a mid-'80's 911
The BTR and CTR are on the mid-90's AWD 911 chassis

And for those that want more numbers... Here are the Porsche model codes also...

Yellowbird is based on a 930 911
BTR and CTR are 993 911
RGT is the 996 911

And for historical interest, this is the order of the chassis codes upto the one before the present - which I cannot recall.

901 - 930 - 964 - 993 - 996 and possibly the new one is a 997 I believe...

:)

Gil
The BTR and CTR are on the mid-90's AWD 911 chassis

Actually....

The BTR is from the early 80s. It's a model that has been based on numerous 911s since 1983. I've seen 911 Carrera based, 964 and 993 based "BTRs (Big Turbo Ruf)".

The Ruf BTR was also the "first' distinct Ruf in 1983 (built from the ground up by Ruf, not jsut a tuned Porsche)

The BTR and CTR are RR based. I know the CTR has always been RR, though I think I've seen pictures of AWD BTRs....

The CTR2 is AWD 993 turbo based

The "R-turbo" replaced the BTR with the 996 chassis RR or AWD (depending on what the buyer wants) car.

The RGT is the NA engine 996 based RR or AWD (depending on what the buyer wants) car.

The 3400s (boxster based) was the first water-cooled Ruf....

Check the link in my signature for more info.

RenesisEvo
1987 911 chassis - 968 isn't it, or have got that confused with the 986?

The 968 was one of the FR Porsches. Ruf, that I know of, never did anything with the FR Porsches....

Gil
AS an aside...
Tigra, are you somewhere you don't see too many Porsches?
In this part of KS (Doctor and Professional Athlete ville) I've gotten to where I sort of take them for granted.

Well as a matter of fact, here in Norway we have extremely high auto-taxes (unofficially, the worlds highest)! The bigger the volume of the engine, the more you'll have to pay, so super sportscars are rare sights around here 👎

kensei
Actually....

The BTR is from the early 80s. It's a model that has been based on numerous 911s since 1983. I've seen 911 Carrera based, 964 and 993 based "BTRs (Big Turbo Ruf)".

The Ruf BTR was also the "first' distinct Ruf in 1983 (built from the ground up by Ruf, not jsut a tuned Porsche)

The BTR and CTR are RR based. I know the CTR has always been RR, though I think I've seen pictures of AWD BTRs....
I realized that a bit after I posted.
Changes in original post to reflect that.👍

Tigra,
Much suckage that.👎

AWD is optional on 964 and 993-bodied BTRs. Naturally, really, as the coresponding Porsche models also have AWD option.
A curious addition to the lineup is the RCT, which in 964-bodied, and
was sold alongside the 964-body BTR, even though the spec was
almost identical and also with optional AWD...
Main difference between BTR (930-guise)
and CTR is that the CTR has twin turbos where all the BTRs have a single turbo.

The CTR2 is AWD 993 turbo based

Again, AWD was optional BUT, nearly all CTR2s were specced as AWD.

The "R-turbo" replaced the BTR with the 996 chassis RR or AWD (depending on what the buyer wants) car.

It also replaced the 993-bodied Turbo R... (Had 490 hp and Turbo bodyshell,
power-wise it's the closer match to the newer R-Turbo, hence the name too)

The RGT is the NA engine 996 based RR or AWD (depending on what the buyer wants) car.

This is practically a RUF version of 996 GT3 RS, in fact it uses some of the RS's body panels fitted to a GT3 bodyshell - the GT3's bodyshell is stiffer than Carrera's.

No offence intended - you probably already knew all this stuff... Why I posted this is just because I'm a huge Porsche and RUF fan.

Slightly off topic but the missing Porsche in the PAL game, available in the Japanese or NTSC games, is that the 911 GT3? And which of the RUF bodies is best to use to keep as near as possible to the original body shape?

The first, I don't know...

But the second, well, I'd say the Boxter-based 3400S is the closest.
The RGT obviously is also quite close tho the GT3... Anyway, the differences are small style-wise. For a little 'spot the difference' fun, try the pictures at www.supercars.net

Yes the Porsche is a 911 GT3 (996) in GT3....it's pretty sweet actually and faster than the RGT, though it accepts no mods and only normal tires. It is slightly less glued to the track like the RGT is and has a nice engine noise.

You second question...I have no clue what you are asking. Sorry.

Back