Which PS4 wheel..

• Thread starter DriveSpark
  • 10 comments

Which wheel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hope this is okay here, if not please remove mods...

I'm an occasional player, have project cars but don't play because it really needs a wheel. Have been playing GTS Beta recently too.
The wheels are within £10 / $15 of each other, not intending to spend any more.

From what I read it seems a bit subjective as to if either wheel are better than the other. Which doesn't help me make my mind up.
I have a DFGT, I've discounted GIMX because its going to be hassle to connect everything up and configure each time, I'll just end up not bothering. CronusMax would mean getting another controller, at which point I'm spending almost as much as a new wheel...

So, pros & cons:

G29
+ I think it looks better and the 'leather' wrap will be better. Better pedals?
- Logitech, who are profiteering
- The experts (like inside sim racing) don't like the gear drive (never bothered me on my old DFGT, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing?)

T150
+ Partial belt drive (the gears in my old DFGT never really bothered me though)
- Pedals a bit naff it seems
- I don't really like the look of it

Reliability wise it seems the G29 can have an issue with breaking wires due to repeated stress. T150 seems to have an issue with cutting out - overheating?
Both seem to have issues with paddles occasionally packing up.

Hope this is okay here, if not please remove mods...

I'm an occasional player, have project cars but don't play because it really needs a wheel. Have been playing GTS Beta recently too.
The wheels are within £10 / $15 of each other, not intending to spend any more.

From what I read it seems a bit subjective as to if either wheel are better than the other. Which doesn't help me make my mind up.
I have a DFGT, I've discounted GIMX because its going to be hassle to connect everything up and configure each time, I'll just end up not bothering. CronusMax would mean getting another controller, at which point I'm spending almost as much as a new wheel...

So, pros & cons:

G29
+ I think it looks better and the 'leather' wrap will be better. Better pedals?
- Logitech, who are profiteering
- The experts (like inside sim racing) don't like the gear drive (never bothered me on my old DFGT, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing?)

T150
+ Partial belt drive (the gears in my old DFGT never really bothered me though)
- Pedals a bit naff it seems
- I don't really like the look of it

Reliability wise it seems the G29 can have an issue with breaking wires due to repeated stress. T150 seems to have an issue with cutting out - overheating?
Both seem to have issues with paddles occasionally packing up.

I had a G27, loved it and used it a lot and with no problems.
Then came PS4 so it was G29 for me, then i got the chance of a TS300, wow the difference is huge and now it can only be Thrustmaster from now on.
The Thrustmaster T300 RS wheel is fantastic and makes the G 29 feel a bit like a toy.
So there you are that is my opinion.

Did have a T 150 once, broke within 2 weeks , nuff said.

The T300 rs is a great wheel but the pedals are rubbish but you can use the G27 pedals with the converter available

from Thrustmaster.

G27 pedals, look at auction sites etc and the wheel i would get new only.

Hope this helps more money but worth it in the end.

hmm, thanks for the info.. T300 is twice what I'm looking at spending and then pedals on top, if I was going to play often it might be worth it, as it is I don't think I'm going to see the benefit, unless I can find a good used one..

If you're upgrading from a DFGT then I would go for the G29 as it's a significant upgrade. It does have some reliability issues, but what wheel doesn't, & you get a 2 year warrenty so you can sort them quickly. Within the first year take it back to the shop & they give you a new one. Year 2, contact Logitech online & send you a replacement (usually letting you keep the faulty one).Thrustmaster make you jump through loads of hoops including making video of the fault, Logitech just take you on your word. I am assuming you intend to buy a new on of course?

The pedals are 10 times better than the DFGT's, & are worth the upgrade just for that. The G29 wheel will be more familiar, as it shares similarities with the DFGT. You can always mod it with a NIXIM V2 Brake mod for more realism for a few extra quid. I have a G29, not used it a whole lot, but have had no trouble with it so far, 1 year & counting.

Yeah I've been reading the fanatec thread, but it seems it'll be high end stuff ? seems like it will support existing bits (rims etc) so probably a wheel base, which I guess isn't going to worry the cheaper end of the market ?

Still can't really get my head around these things are half the price of the PS4, and a decent stand is nearly £100! I guess I'm getting old :indiff:

VBR
If you're upgrading from a DFGT then I would go for the G29 as it's a significant upgrade. It does have some reliability issues, but what wheel doesn't, & you get a 2 year warrenty so you can sort them quickly. Within the first year take it back to the shop & they give you a new one. Year 2, contact Logitech online & send you a replacement (usually letting you keep the faulty one).Thrustmaster make you jump through loads of hoops including making video of the fault, Logitech just take you on your word. I am assuming you intend to buy a new on of course?

The pedals are 10 times better than the DFGT's, & are worth the upgrade just for that. The G29 wheel will be more familiar, as it shares similarities with the DFGT. You can always mod it with a NIXIM V2 Brake mod for more realism for a few extra quid. I have a G29, not used it a whole lot, but have had no trouble with it so far, 1 year & counting.
Good read VBR :cheers:, I am on my third G29 wheel now, I had this wheel over 12 months now and I use it every day since I got it and no problems as yet with it. I have had looked at other wheels out there but I always seem to go back to the G29.

Third ? do they pack up that often ? :eek:

I've ordered one anyhow, with a wheelstand pro to go with it.
I had 2 G29 wheels in 12 months, but this G29 I got now is over well over 12 months old and going strong, as long as you keep the receipt you be fine for the warranty. I use my G29 every day perhaps I am a bit to hard on the wheel and that is why I might be having issues with the wheel but I don't really know.

Just to mention on quality.. I got T300 integral ferrari alcantara and I barely use it, compered to g27 i had for countless years and sold it still fully working! T300 in other hand already broke down 2 times in 1,5 years! First time it was some electronic problem where wheel stopped calibrating and started to hit itself, got a replacement half year back, tested it, then it stayed in the box for some time, got connected about 10 times, now month ago I got Dirt 4.. played it 2 hours and the wheel just stopped working, weirdly enough it started to smell burn plastic.. so I unplug it and sent to warranty again.... :( still waiting....

while on my way home I figured, I must get and try G29 (hoping it was like g27), found it for a good price, got it, guess what.. L1 and R1 (gear changes, not working at all)... so that was some unlucky package, I got it replaced in 2 days..

I always turn down force feedback since I use these wheels and know how they are made, while I dont counter steer fast or use brutal force, I try to be gentle as I can... still they ALL are made really cheap with plastic and other weird materials... wheels itself are made good, from leather and everything... but everything else seems to be too simple...

I cant wait when Logitech or Thrustmaster will make a proper size wheel, with strong and high quality motor, pedals and gear stick done well... and most important handbrake.. its time for it, dont forget no one in real world uses a handbrake on a rotating steering wheel!

Back