Which regional food would you miss when going abroad for an extensive period?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sn00pie
  • 58 comments
  • 2,685 views
There are two keys to my diet:

jelly%20p%20035.jpg


url


...Thats why I'm afraid to leave America without 'em...
 
My aunt (tante) from Holland visits us every year. And, every year she takes back two large Jiff twin packs. Jiff have got to start marketing their peanut butter in Europe.

Jiff was definitely a food item I missed when I lived in Holland.

Good call. 👍
 
I would miss my mom's cooking.

Everything else sucks.
 
I thought of something else that I missed quite a bit, pastys! I was happy to find that they had a couple places that sold them when I was in England but they weren't the same as a Michigan pasty. I realise it was diffused here to America but still there is nothing like a big hearty Michigan pasty on a cold winter's day.

===

Also one thing I found when I was staying with family friends in Maidenhead was that they loved Shakin' Bake for some reason. I even took them several boxed in my luggage and you would have thought I brought them the best thing in the world.

I guess you get a taste for somethings when you go abroad and wish they had them back were you lived. Honestly I wish my area had a decent kabob and I really wish America got Orange Coke.
 
A New York slice of pizza made by real New Yorkers.

I know, Gainesville had one decent pizzeria, and it was Chicago-style (although damn good). But not a New York slice to be had for 250 miles.
 
I miss bami loempias. :indiff:

I would miss these... In-N-Out Double Double and Animal Fries...

innout.JPG

Dear god. I had 2 of those one day. I thought I was going to die.


I would also miss IN-N-OUT dearly.
 
I've never even been to an In-N-Out, and I miss it after looking at that burger.
 
I've never even been to an In-N-Out, and I miss it after looking at that burger.

It's been my experience that Easterners don't like it as much as the rest of us. Don't really know why that is, but I guess it's related to the 'sliders' or 'belly bombers' you guys are use to eating. Most say it's all that sauce and veggies that's on it.

Again, In-N-Out created and perfected the typical 'California Cheeseburger.' If you love the concept, you'll absolutely love this cheeseburger.

I wonder if the Famine Family got to partake during their recent visit? They have In-N-Out in Vegas. One is about to open in Utah, for Pete's sake.

Soon they will take over the World, and wars will cease to exist. :)
 
The food from "Peters Drive In"
Best burgers I have ever tasted and apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so:

"I also learned quickly Calgary has the best Hamburgers in the world. My driver took me to Peters' Drive-In one day. After that I'd find any excuse I could to go back there."

-Hugh Jackman (Wolverine from X-Men)
 
vegemite.jpg

A life without Vegemite would just be un-Australian.

A BIG DITTO TO THAT!!! :D:D:D I couldn't live with myself if I couldn't raise my son on Vegemite, I'd look at him as a foreigner in my own house!! :lol: He had 2 slices of Vegemite on toast this morning. :D I'm so proud. :sly:

But Marmite.......BLEEECHH!! :yuck::sick: My stomach just turns thinking of that garbage, that and PROMITE!! *shudders*

With the fish & chips being turned into seafood abortions, it's not limited to the UK, there are some absolute shockers here in Australia, usually perpetrated by the local charcoal chicken places trying to be fish shops. I can't be honest in giving you assessments of how to avoid the bad ones without violating the AUP, there's no getting around it. Let's just say it's a cultural thing and I'll leave it at that. :)

As for things I couldn't live without:
bondi.jpg

Striproll.jpg


Sydney's own Oporto Bondi Burger & Strip Roll. Yuuuuuuuuuuum. :D

The sauce with irresistable force > Any other takeaway in Australia. :cool: People in New Zealand will find this out for themselves too soon enough.

Also, Hungry Jack's (Burger King to everyone else) Stunner deals (Whopper/Bacon Deluxe or Cheeseburger) would be missed if I left Australia for good. For the price there isn't a better deal for dinner. :lol:
 
As for things I couldn't live without:
bondi.jpg

Actually now that you mention it, yes, Oporto is so brilliant. The best fast food I know.
 

If you want to sample the fish'n'chips of which I speak, get to Sheffield. You'll want to go to Marishell's Fish Bar in Ecclesfield. There is NO finer fish'n'chips in the world. Buttered breadcake as a side is also a must.

Northern Sole in Broomhill is better :p

...never heard of parmo though :odd:
 
Northern Sole in Broomhill is better :p

Harry Hill
But which is better? Marishell's or Northern Sole? There's only one way to settle this - FIGHT!

Marishell's FTW. Even if you can't park outside it without getting nailed by a bus.

...never heard of parmo though :odd:

Try it. Your tongue will love you, even if your cardiologist won't.
 

Try it. Your tongue will love you, even if your cardiologist won't.

As a cheese hater, my cardiologist need not worry. ;)
 
Scones. And Fish & Chips.
 
Staffordshire Oatcakes, used to eat them all the time when I was a kid and went to stay with my Gran...

oatcakes.jpg

http://www.staffordshireoatcakes.com/pages/oatcakes.html

...great things as you can has them just with butter , or fill them with loads of stuff. My favourite would have to be loads of really mature Stilton; they used to be impossible to get outside of North Staffordshire (so I used to buy loads and freeze them), but they are a bit easier to get in the rest of the country now.

And from my own local area....

lardy.jpg

http://freespace.virgin.net/lf.mackelden/Castle_Combe/lardy_cake.html

...Lardy Cake (that's basically a cake made from lard - honest its much better than it sounds), which is more than a little bad for you, but so yummy.


Regards

Scaff
 
Also, Hungry Jack's (Burger King to everyone else) Stunner deals (Whopper/Bacon Deluxe or Cheeseburger) would be missed if I left Australia for good. For the price there isn't a better deal for dinner. :lol:

True, I quite like bacon Delexe although if I were moving to the US I woundn't miss it for a second, they have the craziest burgers over there.
 
True, I quite like bacon Delexe although if I were moving to the US I woundn't miss it for a second, they have the craziest burgers over there.

You're telling me!! :eek::eek::eek:

100_4017_000.JPG


:drool::drool::drool:

That's enough for 1/2 of Sudan!! :lol:
 
Thai raw prawn salad with garlic and chillies on ice...

goong-chae-nam-pla.jpg


...I bet I can't find this back in England! :(
 
Eww...
And I'm Vietnamese.
Well, I eat Pho (pronounced fuh? literally. As if it were a question.), and Goi Cuon.
 
Seriously, it's the best thing I've ever tasted (apart from pizza). Shame I couldn't find a better picture on the interweb as the one featured doesn't look too appetizing.
 
Jiff twin packs. Jiff have got to start marketing their peanut butter in Europe.

Srsly, its the best food, ever. All of the necessary stuff is in it, and no matter what is made and how much you hate it, I always give the option of Jiff... And people will take it.

G.W. Carver gets my nod as being the best inventor ever just for the PB. I'd say half of my meals a week are of the PB variety.
 
All of the necessary stuff is in it, and no matter what is made and how much you hate it, I always give the option of Jiff... And people will take it.
IMG_7678_JIF_small.jpg


....

jif_lemon.JPG


:confused:
 
Rue
Thai raw prawn salad with garlic and chillies on ice...

goong-chae-nam-pla.jpg


...I bet I can't find this back in England! :(

That actually looks really good, but I love Thai food. I wonder if I can find it at one of the more upscale Thai joints here in America. What is it called?
 
Rue
Thai raw prawn salad with garlic and chillies on ice...

Hehe...raw prawn
How does that taste like? I have never eaten raw seafood.

Since everyone said Jif, I'll take Skippy

skippy_peanutbutter_creamy.jpg
 
Parmo looks delicious!! Never heard of it until now even though I am in England!:dopey:

Anybody know any good ones in London?
 
That actually looks really good, but I love Thai food. I wonder if I can find it at one of the more upscale Thai joints here in America. What is it called?

Gung Chae Nam-Pla

And I have never heard of parmo until now either... weird :confused:
 
Back