• 29 comments

RikkiGT-R

GT: IamValhalla
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rikki_GTR
IamValhalla
New member on this forum, and apologies for what may be a long first post.

I'm currently using a controller, but I know I'm suffering because of it. I've made it into the top 1% of plenty of leaderboards, but so many corners are literally being zigzagged round because I just can't hold the little stick steady enough (can anyone?), so I'm nudging the car continually, and don't even ask me about super speedways :ouch:
I know (or I'm pretty sure) my lap times would vastly improve if I had a good steering wheel set-up.

I did recently buy that XBOX speed wheel(?) controller, but found it basically impossible to use as the car seemed to have a mind of it's own irrespective of which settings I used (in the 'advanced controller settings' menu).

I'm prepared to pay for a good wheel and pedal set-up, but which one?
My worry is if I can't use the XBOX speed wheel controller, then will I also struggle with a proper steering wheel, or is it genuinely a world of difference?
I've noticed that good set-ups are hundreds of pounds, so don't want it to be a waste of money.

and fwiw?...

I'm 31yrs old, fully licensed driver and have been driving manual transmission cars for 14 years. Does a good steering wheel mimic the feel of a real car?

tl;dr - As title, which steering wheel and pedal set-up would you recommend?

New member on this forum, and apologies for what may be a long first post.

I'm currently using a controller, but I know I'm suffering because of it. I've made it into the top 1% of plenty of leaderboards, but so many corners are literally being zigzagged round because I just can't hold the little stick steady enough (can anyone?), so I'm nudging the car continually, and don't even ask me about super speedways :ouch:
I know (or I'm pretty sure) my lap times would vastly improve if I had a good steering wheel set-up.

I did recently buy that XBOX speed wheel(?) controller, but found it basically impossible to use as the car seemed to have a mind of it's own irrespective of which settings I used (in the 'advanced controller settings' menu).

I'm prepared to pay for a good wheel and pedal set-up, but which one?
My worry is if I can't use the XBOX speed wheel controller, then will I also struggle with a proper steering wheel, or is it genuinely a world of difference?
I've noticed that good set-ups are hundreds of pounds, so don't want it to be a waste of money.

and fwiw?...

I'm 31yrs old, fully licensed driver and have been driving manual transmission cars for 14 years. Does a good steering wheel mimic the feel of a real car?

The nice thing of some Fanatec wheels is their cross-platform functionality. You can then move between the PC, PS3, or Xbox depending on the latest and greatest or between certain racing disciplines that may only be on one or the other platforms.
I was using the DFGT until recently now a Fanatec CSR and CSR Elite pedals. I have been very satisfied and the feel of the car in Forza is fantastic.

Insidesimracing has recently done a review of all wheels and pedals available for the Xbox - http://www.insidesimracing.tv/videos/view/587/0/Inside-Sim-Racing-Episodes

I can also recommend the Fanatec wheels. They are the top for all sim racers.
Check out that review Fuzzy linked to and you'll be won over.

...and yes a good wheel can go along way to mimic the feel of a real car. My first wheel was some Logitec that I used with Grand Prix Legends at least 10 yrs ago. By today's standards, it would be poor indeed, but the FF worked well and made all the difference. Without it, the sim would've been unplayable. Any sim you play will transform itself with a good wheel.

Happy Motoring!

I was using the DFGT until recently now a Fanatec CSR and CSR Elite pedals. I have been very satisfied and the feel of the car in Forza is fantastic.

Yeah I've looked those up, and they look the business. I like the flappy paddle shifting as well. Would be about £500 for both plus the Rennsport wheel stand V2 which is what I would need.

I know I need this to take my driving to the next level. I hate feeling handicapped by the controller.

Fanatec wheels are great, can't go wrong with any of them.

Though, if you get the Clubsport pedals be wary of the exposed wiring; it can get slightly unplugged and cause all manner of input issues.

Also Fanatec wheel mounts are very poorly designed. The one the wheel comes with sucks, the special metal one also sucks (slides around due to only having one point of contact with your desk) and the shifters always wobble around because they're only held in place by two rods, not three like they should.

Fanatec wheels are great, can't go wrong with any of them.

Though, if you get the Clubsport pedals be wary of the exposed wiring; it can get slightly unplugged and cause all manner of input issues.

Also Fanatec wheel mounts are very poorly designed. The one the wheel comes with sucks, the special metal one also sucks (slides around due to only having one point of contact with your desk) and the shifters always wobble around because they're only held in place by two rods, not three like they should.

I used to have a Logitech G27 for GT5. That was a great wheel. I wish logitech would make a similar one with xbox support. It was very reliable and I had zero issues with it. I've heard a lot of stuff about Fanatec wheels breaking. Also I heard that you aren't supposed to use them over 1 hour at a time or you void your warranty. Is that true?

Also I heard that you aren't supposed to use them over 1 hour at a time or you void your warranty. Is that true?

It is the last line in the warranty.

This gaming device is designed to withstand approximately one hour of use per day during the course of the warranty period of two years.

I didn't know that until just now, but I assume everyone who has one uses it way more than an hour a day. Maybe they mean it only has so many hours of gameplay in it and that averages out to one hour every day for two years.

I believe that is about continuous use. Such as the FF going non-stop for an hour.

The fact that I can play for 4 hours on a weekend strait and considering the time in between races, or on long strait, etc. it has plenty of time to keep cool.

Dont worry.

I just got a fanatec CSR with CSR elite pedals along with the CSR shifter set. Ran me right at $500. I LOVE IT!!! Nothing else out there is better for the xbox unless you get the Fanatec CSR Elite wheel, which hasn't been released yet. Also, that wheel stand will work to start off with, but you'll probably want to build something or buy a nice cockpit. I sit in a beach chair and built my rig out of about $20 worth of wood. Here's a pic: http://i.imgur.com/NOtwb.jpg Not the prettiest thing in the world, but gets the job done! I have to have my pedals pushed up against my tv stand because the brake on the CSR can require a heaving foot sometimes...

Edit: Also, the reason I have it in two separate pieces is because it makes it compact enough to easily fit in a closet.

http://www.computer-bud.com/2011/03...re-showdown-fanatec-vs-logitech-vs-microsoft/

Have a look there for a bit of a review between some of the wheels.

Personally I have just bought a Microsoft Wheel - £135 on ebay (with a couple of games with it) and I purchased due to using one of my friends and its absolutely incredible I had no idea it could be so good playing with a wheel as I have used a Logitech G27 with GT5P before and I prefer the microsoft wheel (no clutch on the pedals mind you).

Just another comment that mirrors most of the rest. If you can afford the price, a Fanatec setup is easily the best option. Multi-system compatibilty (if that's of any import to you), pedals that feel like the real things, clutch, gated shifter, etc. There's currently not really any middle ground Xbox wheel options, unless you can find a MS Force Feedback wheel used or still in old stock somewhere. MadCatz's version of that wheel is due out soon at $250, but if you can manage the cost of the Fanatec you'll be getting more than twice the quality of gear for about twice the cost. :)

If you've got a few tools and/or are somewhat handy, you can slap together a stand or cockpit for very little cost. I'm sure that this board will eventually get its own version in the hardware forum (where this question would have probably been better posted - and where it's already been answered. ;) ) but until then, there's a good thread on cheap builds over at GTPlanet.

Really? Was the G27 broken & non-functional? Cuz that's about the only way I can see that happening. :)

Not really. I know this is the "un cool" thing to say but the G27 is just not an impressive wheel "feel" wise to me. It just isn't a "smooth" wheel. It's like you can feel the gears in side. Even the microsoft wheel felt belt-driven compared to the G27. I wish I could sell mine off without taking a hit. Only a few hours on it, basically testing, and it's sitting in the same box it's been in since I bought it. I give it credit for inspiring me to get a Fanatec as soon as possible. If I could get 175-200 for it it's be out my house.

Rather than going mental for my first wheel and spending £500+ at Fanatec, I bought the Microsoft wireless wheel off eBay for £106.
I figured it'd be senseless spending over 10x the value of the game on a wheel if I ended up not liking it from the start (I've used controllers for driving games since the original Gran Turismo, and I'm pretty handy with it, pardon the pun).
Anyway it arrived this morning and I have to admit it is HARD.
I've managed to get a couple of clean laps albeit a bit slower than my previous times (set with controllers), but I can certainly see the difference when taking long sweeping bends smoothly rather than zigzagging around them. And ovals are finally a breeze.

Rather than going mental for my first wheel and spending £500+ at Fanatec, I bought the Microsoft wireless wheel off eBay for £106.
I figured it'd be senseless spending over 10x the value of the game on a wheel if I ended up not liking it from the start (I've used controllers for driving games since the original Gran Turismo, and I'm pretty handy with it, pardon the pun).
Anyway it arrived this morning and I have to admit it is HARD.
I've managed to get a couple of clean laps albeit a bit slower than my previous times (set with controllers), but I can certainly see the difference when taking long sweeping bends smoothly rather than zigzagging around them. And ovals are finally a breeze.

Oh oh, sounds very similar. Once you get a taste of driving a sim with a force-feedback wheel you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. While I had a wheel for the PS3/PC platforms (DFGT) I too started with the Microsoft wheel on Xbox for Forza. Then the next step was a cross-platform Fanatec (CSR), and pedals (CSR Elite), and triple-screen, and .... I have crossed over into the dark side of sim racing - watch your step :)

BTW, the MS wheel is decent - I am sure you will enjoy.

Elite is smoother and more precise IIRC, uses a different/better mechanism. Also costs a lot more.

Thanks. I don't really know what to do as the CSR has very good reviews and feedback from players. It is a lot of money to spend, so would it be wise to hang on and get the 'Elite' version? Also depends on when it will be released....any idea when that will be?

Thanks. I don't really know what to do as the CSR has very good reviews and feedback from players. It is a lot of money to spend, so would it be wise to hang on and get the 'Elite' version? Also depends on when it will be released....any idea when that will be?

Honestly, I would grab the CSR wheel. From what I have heard its perfect for Forza4. From using the GT2 personally, the feel FF is outstanding, and they share the same base pretty much.

You on Live now Zee?

Hey Zee, good to see you over here!

To me it comes down to value. There may be a significant "noticable" difference between say a Madcatz x and Fanatec x or a Logitech x and a Thrustmaster x, or a DFGT and a G27, etc. Then there is the splitting-hair differences. That is where I am seeing the comparison between the CSR and CSR Elite. I am only going off pre-release information but the extra cost would be hard to justify (for me!). The CSR is configurable, smooth, quiet, and has good FF sensitivity and strength. The CSR Elite may trump the CSR but by what margin - that is the question on "value". I was planning on waiting for the CSR Elite wheel but am very happy with the CSR and Elite pedals.
Coming from a DFGT, the biggest difference between my Fanatec setup and the Logitech is the CSR Elite pedals. The CSR wheel beats the DFGT in every category but it's the CSR Elite pedals that beats the DFGT pedals by a long shot. The load sensing brake is great!
Then the decision will be between the CSP and CSR Elite pedals. The CSP's was always considered the top of the line but either IMO are about the same "value" depending on your preferences. To me, the CSR Elite's have most the the CSP advantages but not a huge "value" over the CSP's. One feature I wanted was the mounting options/flexibility of the new Elite's - but that's my preference, and I saved $50.
There will be those that will buy nothing but the most expensive regardless of "value". I am not hurting for cash but I still buy value.

Also, IMHO, save the cash (CSR vs CSR Elite) and put the money towards triple-screen. Now there is a "huge noticable" difference in the virtual racing experience :crazy: But I will admit the "value" of triple-screen will be very hard to get the significant other to see :scared:

Zee, when does the Forza Legends series begin :)

The easiest car to drive so far, I've found, is the Lotus Elise 111S; with no driving aids whatsoever I managed a couple of clean laps of the Top Gear track, something I simply couldn't do with the control pad.
But on the whole, I'm struggling with it. Am I right in assuming that it'll take me quite some time to get to grips with using a steering wheel seeing as I have no experience in using them for Racing Sims?
What I'm finding is I'm losing control so often (for no apparent reason); the car just goes too far left, then too far right, then the steering locks up and I spin out helplessly. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing to trigger this (I think a member here referred to it as "Squirreling"?) So don't know how to correct it.

If someone could just reassure me that what I'm experiencing is normal for a first-time wheel user and that I will improve :(

The easiest car to drive so far, I've found, is the Lotus Elise 111S; with no driving aids whatsoever I managed a couple of clean laps of the Top Gear track, something I simply couldn't do with the control pad.
But on the whole, I'm struggling with it. Am I right in assuming that it'll take me quite some time to get to grips with using a steering wheel seeing as I have no experience in using them for Racing Sims?
What I'm finding is I'm losing control so often (for no apparent reason); the car just goes too far left, then too far right, then the steering locks up and I spin out helplessly. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing to trigger this (I think a member here referred to it as "Squirreling"?) So don't know how to correct it.

If someone could just reassure me that what I'm experiencing is normal for a first-time wheel user and that I will improve :(

Took me about a week to get used to a wheel. Once you do, you wont go back.

Well I think I'm definitely getting the hang of it already in the past couple of hours.
I just managed to drive a few laps of Le Mans (with chicanes) in my beloved Toyota GT-One TS020, with no driving aids (again, something which would've been utterly impossible with the control pad).
The fastest lap was 3:55.xxx so hardly spectacular but still decent.

I think the problem is my not being used to the FFB, and not paying attention to how it's changing depending on traction/grip etc but I'm certainly getting to grips with it.

For some reason I've also found that bonnet cam is easiest when using the wheel, which is a view I've always hated :confused:

Yeah, bonnet cam is ideal when using a wheel.

One thing I wish one of these developers would do is have the option while in cockpit to make the digital steering wheel disappear. It would not work for everyone but my setup has my monitor low enough to allow my real wheel to be positioned relative to the actual position in the cockpit view, which does add that much more immersion to the game.

I really don't know why I never bought a wheel before now, for both GT and Forza.
I am absolutely loving it. Last night I got into the top 2% of the Leaderboards for Fujimi Kaido stage A, 'S class cars' at my first attempt. I was using an RUF RGT-8, again with no driving aids. I could barely drive that 'RR' animal WITH driving aids when I was using a control pad.
The difference is just staggering. I'm madly in love with the game now. :D

Fanatec is the only real choice on the 360. Steer way clear of the MS wireless wheel, I've had 4 of them and I stand by my claim that it's the worst AC powered wheel ever made. Very weak FFB, small rim, only 270 degree and cheapo plastic paddle shifters that break off and more than half of them won't even centre properly.

I would pre-order the Fanatec CSR value pack IMO. I just did and can't wait for December 7th.

Back