Who needs a long-term leaderboard for WRS?

• Thread starter steven
  • 12 comments

Who needs a long-term leaderboard for WRS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Netherlands
driehuis (nl)
GTP_Steven
In WRS, a long-term leaderboard has been maintained for a long time. This has been a painstaking job but it was felt necessary to give insight how contenders performed over a longer period of time. Especially Tedehur/Cyril and MisterWeary/Colby have been investing quite some time in publishing this. The most recent version of that board can be viewed here.

What we'd like to know is how the WRS community feels about this leaderboard. Please be aware that the subject of this thread is NOT the LUXY leaderboard that only publishes the one-week WRS combo standings including the posted t's.

Please react to the poll which'll give us insight in how you racing lot feels about maintaining a long(er) term leaderboard for WRS.

Thanks!

steven/bigracer

I was just thinking about this while riding my bike home this afternoon, oddly enough. My only 'complaint' would be that it's not updated frequently.

EDIT: Nevermind my comment. I didn't see the poll first and had only seen the leaderboard once or twice and didn't understand that it was in 8 week intervals.

I would like too see a long-term leaderboard. I just love statistics ;)

If you're thinking about setting up a new one, or too take the old one back in business, I would be glad to help where I can!

While it is nice to have a long-term leaderboard, I don't find it essential. In such a long competition, the most important for me is the result I get in each race separately. But I approve the idea of keeping that leaderboard if most guys like it and if it doesn't take a lot of time. 👍

I like the long term board and actually voted to make it over a longer term.

I know it takes a lot of time and effort to keep it up to date. Jake has taken it on recently, but I know he has barely had time to race lately, let alone update the long term board. I would be happy to pitch in and help with that sort of thing as well.

I think it encourages consistent participation and shows how you stack up against all racers, in and out of your division.

Just my own opinion, and I will still be here racing, whatever might be decided.

Kevin

Thanks for all the swift replies flowing in so quickly 👍👍👍
As the thread starter I must & will refrain from voting untill the close of the poll.

We'll i think its a great idea 💡 but will take up alot of time in setting up and sorting it out each week, but again maybe not essential but a step always forward in my book, things can only get better...

I Voted for (Shorter 4 weeks)

Cobra

First, I want to thank Jake for all the time he spent on the leaderboard. I'm sure it wasn't an easy job. Cheers, Jake. 👍👍

My opinion:

Now, as we can see, the last time anyone posted to the leaderbaord thread was way back on Feb 20, so I ask, did anyone really miss it all that much?

I've always felt bad whenever the leaderboard was updated because it never really generated very much interest to make all the effort that was put into it worth while.

Another point that has always nagged at me is how it actually contradicts what we perceive the WRS to be about. Allow me to explain;

One of the main principals of the WRS is the ability for any WRS member to come and go as he pleases, forget about this recent "cherrypicker" stuff, it's got nothing to do with the WRS. However, regardless of this important principal that has been in the WRS since day one, we have a leaderboard that actually punishes those who adopt this important principal.

I've never been known to race week in, week out at the WRS and therefore it simply doesn't interest me personally.

Many people like the WRS because it allows people to race whenever they fancy the combo, while most racing series usually require people to be committed to race all events.
On the other hand, many regular WRS-ers like to see how they perform week after week and appreciate a structured ranking system.

All this had already been discussed several times since I posted the first structured leaderboard back in 2004 (see the original discussion there : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47620)

As it appears, there is no better solution than letting some people dedicate a lot of time to admin a ranking system that will be praised by some racers and ignored by others.

I like the longer term leaderboard, and don't mind it staying as it is at 8weeks long. Granted, I'm here less and less, but I liked checking in.

That being said, the crowd's not too huge anymore and there are less people racing every week...

I know that people don't necessarily post in there often, but I've been thinking about it lately in the back of my mind, to tell ya the truth. I got a couple decent results in and wanted to see myself move up a few spots.

It's not going to hurt me for it to fall into the past though.

I opted out if the long-term board due to the fact that there's not enough interest in it. Given the amount of time it takes to maintain the board it just doesn't seem worth it. I enjoyed learning the system and I do like the fact that a racer can see how they stack up over the long run. It gives an extra perspective to the WRS but is more of a side project and does not define what the WRS is all about.

This is to draw some sort of conclusion from the poll.
14 reactions, 5 negative, 9 positive.
The biggest number is from the part of the WRS community that did not reply to the poll. I'd say that part is indifferent or negative about the long-term leaderboard for WRS.
For now, the conclusion can be drawn that such a leaderboard is not appreciated by a larger part of this group of racers.

Any thoughts?

Back