Who prefers GT to GT2?

• Thread starter Resident0
  • 25 comments
Personally i think GT was better than GT2, plus the cars don't have that weird plasticine kinda glaze to them, makes the cars look really fake, plus Gran Turismo didn't have 'rubberband' catch up on the game, it's irritating to be miles ahead in GT2 then crash once and have the entire pack fly off into the distance never to be seen again.

Even GT3 removed the 'rubberband' catchup AI because it was so frustrating, it practically forced you to drive every track perfectly. Annoying!

Resident0
Personally i think GT was better than GT2, plus the cars don't have that weird plasticine kinda glaze to them, makes the cars look really fake, plus Gran Turismo didn't have 'rubberband' catch up on the game, it's irritating to be miles ahead in GT2 then crash once and have the entire pack fly off into the distance never to be seen again.

Even GT3 removed the 'rubberband' catchup AI because it was so frustrating, it practically forced you to drive every track perfectly. Annoying!

Well, I'll have to agree with you about the plastic effect. In GT2, the worst is the Aston Martin Vantage... it looks like it's wrapped up in Saran Wrap. Plus, the car wash function barely does anything since the cars don't get dirty like they did in GT1.
One of my fave things about the first game was taking a car, racing it about 10x, and then watching it slowly lose it's shine!

I don't mind the rubberband effect of GT2, it's better than having the AI wait for you if you crash. If you race the Sunday Cup and a few other series, the ai actually DOES wait up for you, probly cause they figured the Sunday Cup is for beginners. I find that in most GT2 races, you actually DON'T have to race perfectly! GT2 is so darn easy, dude. I made an entire webpage devoted to making the game more challenging, actually.

Last edited:
It is a draw for me betweem the orginal and GT2. True GT1 was more entertaining and GT2 was stupid easy but both was excellent for their own reasons.

I agree with all the post's above. GT also has better gameplay as well, you can progress through the game in a linear way, although you can also enter high powered cars in the lowest of races.

Here's the best way to put it: GT is more of a serious game. You can spend hours just trying for a decent qualifying run. The car graphix are better and more consistent. GT2 is more about fun & variety (like 75% fun / 25% serious) but some of the car's graphix suffer. It's still got realistic elements to it, but it's definitely more arcadeish.

Parnelli Bone
Well, i'll have to agree with you about the plastic effect. In GT2, the worst is the ASton Martin Vantage... it looks like it's wrapped up in Saran Wrap. Plus, the car wash function barely does anything since the cars don't get ‘dirty’ like they did in GT1.
One of my fave things about the first game was taking a car, racing it about 10x, and then watching it slowly lose it's shine!

I don't mind the ‘rubberband’ effect of GT2, it's better than having the AI wait for you if you crash. If you race the Sunday Cup and a few other series, the ai actually DOES wait up for you, probly cuz they figured the Sunday Cup is 4 beginners. I find that in most GT2 races, you actually DONT have to race perfectly! GT2 is so darn easy, dude. I made an entire webpage devoted to making the game more challenging, actually.

I officially do NOT prefer GT to GT2...
GT:GT2::GT3:GT4. If you're playing GT, that's pretty sad.
GT2 has...
-WAY more cars/manufacturers, including everyone's favorites. Well, almost. P/L/F.
-WAY more tracks. Admittedly some of them suck imo, read: Tahiti.
-WAY more events, also more streamlined interface, including license tests.
-RIMS. For me, this is a big plus. I can't stand the fugly wheel-covering things in GT1 anymore... besides, everyone loves BBS! Or they should...
-MUSIC that is admittedly worse.... hmmm.
-GRAPHICS that are arguebly worse.... hmm.

Yeah, the Vantage does look quite bad. In GT3 it's not so bad (did I mention that GT3 kicks @$$??)
I haven't noticed any rubberband. In fact, I don't think any exists. Although at times it does feel like the opponents are just bending that corner in the rear-view mirror....
I would also be forced to disagree that GT2 is more "arcadish" than GT1. If anything, it would have to be the other way around. GT2 is very serious (well, Arcade mode excluded, but honestly who plays that?), and is perhaps more so. Just because a game has a clunky interface and less stuff, but insignificantly better gameplay doesn't mean it's a better sim. :grumpy:

flamingwonky
I officially do NOT prefer GT to GT2...
GT:GT2::GT3:GT4. If you're playing GT, that's pretty sad.
GT2 has...
-WAY more cars/manufacturers, including everyone's favorites. Well, almost. P/L/F.
-WAY more tracks. Admittedly some of them suck imo, read: Tahiti.
-WAY more events, also more streamlined interface, including license tests.
-RIMS. For me, this is a big plus. I can't stand the fugly wheel-covering things in GT1 anymore... besides, everyone loves BBS! Or they should...
-MUSIC that is admittedly worse.... hmmm.
-GRAPHICS that are arguebly worse.... hmm.

Yeah, the Vantage does look quite bad. In GT3 it's not so bad (did I mention that GT3 kicks @$$??)
I haven't noticed any rubberband. In fact, I don't think any exists. Although at times it does feel like the opponents are just bending that corner in the rear-view mirror....
I would also be forced to disagree that GT2 is more "arcadish" than GT1. If anything, it would have to be the other way around. GT2 is very serious (well, Arcade mode excluded, but honestly who plays that?), and is perhaps more so. Just because a game has a clunky interface and less stuff, but insignificantly better gameplay doesn't mean it's a better sim. :grumpy:

Why are you grumpy faced?!? ::That's odd::

What I meant by arcadish is in GT2 there's no qualifying. No matter what, you always start in last place just like you would in Cruisin' USA or something.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Why are you grumpy faced?!? ::That's odd::

What i meant by arcadish is in GT2 there's no qualifying. No matter what, you always start in last place just like you would in Cruisin' USA or something.

This is somewhat true, but I think it's a conscious effort to streamline the process. In GT1, the Qualify menu came before the race menu and was a drag... Well, qualifying in back in GT3, and I don't use it much. With tougher opposition, you'll be stuck in 6th, so might as well try to win by *cheap* methods. with easier races they're no point. The only thing I use qualifying for in to Test Run the track so that I'm familiar with it.

This is a bit off topic, but anyone still playing GT1 or GT2 should get out from under their rock and get GT3. The qualm about less cars is immaterial when it's compared to the enormous progress in the third game. GT4 will have all your cars very soon. ;-). Yet for now, GT3 is seriously good.

flamingwonky
This is somewhat true, but I think it's a conscious effort to streamline the process. In GT1, the Qualify menu came before the race menu and was a drag... Well, qualifying in back in GT3, and I don't use it much. With tougher opposition, you'll be stuck in 6th, so might as well try to win by *cheap* methods. with easier races they're no point. This is a bit off topic, but anyone still playing GT1 or GT2 should get out from under their rock and get GT3. The qualm about less cars is immaterial when it's compared to the enormous progress in the third game. GT4 will have all your cars very soon. ;-). Yet for now, GT3 is seriously good.

In real life racing, you're allowed to qualify to get pole position, so the fact that GT2 doesn't have it is cheap and ridiculous. When I first started GT2 last year I remember I kept going thru the menus again and again trying to look for a qualifying run. It's supposed to be a Real Racing Simulator, after all. BTW, what does that mean..to win by cheap methods?

I have no qualms about less cars in GT3 myself. It'll just make it quicker for me to get thru and there will be less time spent between the third game and GT4, which by then will have come down in price! See, I got it all figured out.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
In real life racing, you're allowed to qualify to get pole position, so the fact that GT2 doesn't have it is cheap and ridiculous. When i first started GT2 last year i remember i kept going thru the menus again and again trying to look for a qualifying run. It's supposed to be a Real Racing Simulator, after all. BTW, what does that mean..to win by cheap methods?

I have no qualms about less cars in GT3 myself. It'll just make it quicker for me to get thru and there will be less time spent between the third game and GT4, which by then will have come down in price! See, i got it all figured out.

Ah, no. GT3 is much harder to pick up. No longer is a 500k prize car awarded after a meager 5 laps. It's really hard to start up; I spent nearly 100 days (500+ miles) upgrading and racing my Trueno (which sucks! :yuck:, and saving up for an NSX... 5000 Crominum at a time...

Don't get me wrong, it's great that the game is more challenging and you actually have to decide where your money goes.

I was just kidding. The Trueno is a great old school car, just not much of a racer! Without TCS and ESM it's a real pain to drive though (too much drifting and wheelspin), and with the aids its acceleration is lacking. This is especially difficult on tight city tracks like 11 ( :yuck: ) in the Beginner Turbo Cup: Race 3.

I'm having trouble with the B-8 license. It's rather difficult. Thus my lack of an S2000 from the get-go ;).

I have an NSX type R now, and it's great ;). To be honest though, I put down GT3 and I'm cheating on Gran Turismo with some other games: FFX, Silent Hill 3, MGS2...

Sorry that this is all rather off topic. :sly:

i'd say GT2 is a more rewarding game. there are more affordable cars so you can get a varied garage pretty quickly, and i like the physics engine alot better, it's more realistic, or at least less like the other crappy playstation driving games

and let's face it, nothing is better than the Daishin Silvia :)

flamingwonky
Ah, no. GT3 is much harder to pick up. No longer is a 500k prize car awarded after a meager 5 laps. It's really hard to start up; I spent nearly 100 days (500+ miles) upgrading and racing my Trueno (which sucks! :yuck:, and saving up for an NSX... 5000 Crominum at a time...

Don't get me wrong, it's great that the game is more challenging and you actually have to decide where your money goes.

I was just kidding. Sorry that this is all rather off topic. :sly:

Hey who cares if it's off-topic? I sure don't.

You know what? I'm glad GT3 is tougher to earn money! Hell yeah! It sounds like it's more realistic in this way and that puts a grin on my face. :) kinda like that except that I have hair and I'm not yellow. Nor is my face perfectly round, but other than that....

Last edited:
Super Jamie
i'd say GT2 is a more rewarding game. there are more affordable cars so you can get a varied garage pretty quickly, and i like the physics engine alot better, it's more realistic, or at least less like the other crappy playstation driving games

and let's face it, nothing is better than the Daishin Silvia :)

That Silvia rules! I just did the GT300 last week in a fully-modified BMW 328 Ci with the maximum horsepower and the Daisin Silvia was mostly the main competition I had. I lost to it at Grand Valley East and Midfield, but won the other 3 races.

One shining moment was at Deep Forest...I managed to take the last turn at the bottom of that hill at 123 mph! I did it perfectly without hitting any grass, and for 4 seconds afterwards I caught a draft from the Daisin Silvia without smacking into it, tho I did get awfully close. The replay looked just like something out of JTGC (however you spell it...) racing.

Last edited:
flamingwonky
This is somewhat true, but I think it's a conscious effort to streamline the process. In GT1, the Qualify menu came before the race menu and was a drag... Well, qualifying in back in GT3, and I don't use it much. With tougher opposition, you'll be stuck in 6th, so might as well try to win by *cheap* methods. with easier races they're no point. The only thing I use qualifying for in to Test Run the track so that I'm familiar with it.

I just want to point out that getting pole position in GT meant getting extra Credits. It was another incentive to do a qualify lap and I for one think it was a good idea. I hated GT2 for losing the qualify lap and I'm glad GT3 put it back in, but it would be nice to get something for getting there as well. The rims were a nice added feature to GT2 but the game was supposed to be about racing, not making your car look pretty. It was supposed to be a follow on from GT, so of course they would add more cars and tracks, otherwise it wouldn't have developed any further.

flamingwonky
This is a bit off topic, but anyone still playing GT1 or GT2 should get out from under their rock and get GT3. The qualm about less cars is immaterial when it's compared to the enormous progress in the third game. GT4 will have all your cars very soon. ;-). Yet for now, GT3 is seriously good.

I enjoy playing GT and I'm not going to stop because you think I should. I own a copy of GT3, it's not as good as GT. Yes the graphics are better but the gameplay isn't and I don't think the handling of the cars is either.

Resident0
plus Gran Turismo didn't have 'rubberband' catch up on the game, it's irritating to be miles ahead in GT2 then crash once and have the entire pack fly off into the distance never to be seen again.

Learn to drive then, instead of relying on power to whomp your competition. It's not that hard.

Stinky Chicken
Learn to drive then, instead of relying on power to whomp your competition. It's not that hard.

Yeah but nobody drives perfectly all the time. Even the great god Schumaker makes mistakes in his red Ferrari Chariot. It is very frustrating to be out in front, crash once and have the whole pack over take you, including the little blue mini running at the back with 62 HP. The pack seem to run the whole race virtually together fighting for the remaining places, at least in GT the really slow cars got left behind!!!!

TMM
I enjoy playing GT and I'm not going to stop because you think I should. I own a copy of GT3, it's not as good as GT. Yes the graphics are better but the gameplay isn't and I don't think the handling of the cars is either.

Sorry, but if you are saying that the handling in GT is more realistic that the handling in GT3 then in my opinion you are very wide of the mark (if you are just saying you prefer it - then ignore the following).

From a handling prespective GT and GT2 were very very good at the time of launch (with GT completely re-inventing the Playstation racing genre), but from an accuracy point of view its no match for GT3.

I checked out your profile and it says that you race, so your comments do surprise me. I work as a trainer in the Motor Industry and have managed and trained on a large number of car launches and have spent many, many years working in product testing. Including a huge number of hours of track and proving ground time.

In both GT and GT2 the car (all of them) were far to bias towards oversteer, with understeer characteristics very poorly represented. The ability to catch a car from a massive oversteer frequently ignored the laws of physics. Was it fun, damn right it was, but accurate and realistic? No.

GT3 is a massive improvement on this, with oversteer and particularly understeer much better represented. Progressive throttle and brake action was also a major boost to the levels of accuracy, thanks to the new hardware and pressure sesitive buttons or better still using a wheel.

Now GT3 is still far from perfect, understeer characteristics are still in need of work, particularly in regard to simulating 'lift-off oversteer' and the ease of catching a slide.

GT4 Prologue and the BMW 1-series demos are both much more acurate in regard to all these factors and I'm certainly looking forward to GT4.

To bring this into focus, I would never have used GT or GT2 in a training situation (and not because of the graphics), but I have used GT3, GT:C and the BMW demo on training courses to great effect.

My single major gripe with the entire GT series (and I hope its gone for GT4) is the existance of steering assist, it murders the game for realism at low speeds, making handbrake turns and donuts almost totaly unrealistic.

Scaff
Sorry, but if you are saying that the handling in GT is more realistic that the handling in GT3 then in my opinion you are very wide of the mark (if you are just saying you prefer it - then ignore the following).

From a handling prespective GT and GT2 were very very good at the time of launch (with GT completely re-inventing the Playstation racing genre), but from an accuracy point of view its no match for GT3.

I checked out your profile and it says that you race, so your comments do surprise me. I work as a trainer in the Motor Industry and have managed and trained on a large number of car launches and have spent many, many years working in product testing. Including a huge number of hours of track and proving ground time.

In both GT and GT2 the car (all of them) were far to bias towards oversteer, with understeer characteristics very poorly represented. The ability to catch a car from a massive oversteer frequently ignored the laws of physics. Was it fun, damn right it was, but accurate and realistic? No.

GT3 is a massive improvement on this, with oversteer and particularly understeer much better represented. Progressive throttle and brake action was also a major boost to the levels of accuracy, thanks to the new hardware and pressure sesitive buttons or better still using a wheel.

Now GT3 is still far from perfect, understeer characteristics are still in need of work, particularly in regard to simulating 'lift-off oversteer' and the ease of catching a slide.

GT4 Prologue and the BMW 1-series demos are both much more acurate in regard to all these factors and I'm certainly looking forward to GT4.

To bring this into focus, I would never have used GT or GT2 in a training situation (and not because of the graphics), but I have used GT3, GT:C and the BMW demo on training courses to great effect.

My single major gripe with the entire GT series (and I hope its gone for GT4) is the existance of steering assist, it murders the game for realism at low speeds, making handbrake turns and donuts almost totaly unrealistic.

I apologise I haven't been able to read all your comments due to lack of time. I will read them again tomorrow, however I will explain that I don't race other than in the virtual sense.

It's all about endurance, whether it be in game or not. You have to concentrate for a long period and then some and the slightest break can stuff you over. When driving it's truly a mental thing.

I mean you can improve physical fitness and all. Like once I drove this high powered kart and I had a stiff neck for the next week or so. Wasn't fun. But I had to have my full concentration for what seemed a lengthy period of time.

i couldn't agree more with scaff. gt1 and gt2 were fun for me because they were just games - they looked crappy and were pretty much nothing like driving a real car. gt3 is a simulation, it's far more realistic and personally i can get into it more because of that

i have friends who own some gt3 cars (wrx, fto) and they say the game is almost exactly how their own car handles. learning more about balance and car physics from gt3, i've also learnt to drive my own car better. my next race meet is in march, i can't wait!

gt4p is realistic to the point of frustration, it taught me to be a much better driver, and i could go back to gt3 and improve alot of things (ie: gold licenses). i also am champing at the bit for gt4 on march 10 :D

TMM
Yeah but nobody drives perfectly all the time. Even the great god Schumaker makes mistakes in his red Ferrari Chariot. It is very frustrating to be out in front, crash once and have the whole pack over take you, including the little blue mini running at the back with 62 HP. The pack seem to run the whole race virtually together fighting for the remaining places, at least in GT the really slow cars got left behind!!!!

GT2 is so easy...I find that very few races in the game require 100% perfect driving, unless you race underpowered cars like I do. A lot of folks probably look at the horsepower limit...go "hey, I can run a 590 hp car in this 591 limit race? Great!" and never truly learn the art of racing...which is actually more rewarding than just relying on power.

The Trial Mountain World Cup race, 2nd Historic race @ Rome (with the GT40), and a few others I'm forgetting are really tough....the rest of them are frickin' EZ. I for one spend way too much time drifting & powersliding around in GT2, which is unrealistic racing, but I only do it cuz there are many opportunities to do so. In most any given 3 lap sprint race, I find that I'll spend the first 1 or 2 laps fighting to get ahead in my car (which is purposely underpowered) and spending the last 1 or 2 laps having ‘fun’. Sometimes I'll f#ck up and have to fight back to 1st place, tho.

you're right about the AI, though...they pack together like a herd of wildebeests!

Last edited:
I generally used something that was around 10 - 20% less of the horsepower limit. For example if the HP limit was 590 I'd use something around the 480 mark.

Well I feel suitably squashed. There's something with GT3 that it just doesn't have that GT did. I can't put my finger on it, maybe they have made it to realistic for me and I just can't handle it. I completed the Beginers League and started the Amatuer but I haven't progressed any further, I stopped wanting to play the game. I am concentrating on racing every winnable car in GT in every legal race thay can enter, and to do it I have had to buy some cars that you don't win. All I can say is that I express my opinion and put forward what I have felt is the truth regarding the subject matter at hand. GT is King, long live the King!!!

TMM
Well I feel suitably squashed. There's something with GT3 that it just doesn't have that GT did. I can't put my finger on it, maybe they have made it to realistic for me and I just can't handle it. I completed the Beginers League and started the Amatuer but I haven't progressed any further, I stopped wanting to play the game. I am concentrating on racing every winnable car in GT in every legal race thay can enter, and to do it I have had to buy some cars that you don't win. All I can say is that I express my opinion and put forward what I have felt is the truth regarding the subject matter at hand. GT is King, long live the King!!!

Nothing wrong with that.

As I said in my first post, if you prefer the handling of GT and/or GT2 to that of GT3 on a personally level then in no way am I going to critisise that. Everyone of us has our own preferences.

The only people I did take issue with are the few who claim that GT and GT2 have more realistic handling than GT3 (or later). Mainly because thats obviously not even remotely correct, however most making these type of claims appear to be people to young to actually drive!

TMM, the added accuracy of the handling model in GT3 is not your preference, and that I can respect. What you dislike about GT3 is exactly what I love about it.

One word of advice however, try GT4 before you buy, because if GT3 feels 'too real' the GT4 could well be a step to much (and for god sake go nowhere near Richard Burns Rally).

P.S. don't feel squashed, the first few lines of my initial post did cover the preference thing.

Scaff

Back