who put the engine back there?? (unofficial RUF tuning challenge)

• Thread starter nomis3613
  • 16 comments

nomis3613

Premium
Hi folks,
Is it ok for me to create a little RUF tuning challenge?

The drivetrain in the RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" makes great sense- if you drive it in reverse!!! So I've been trying to tame the rear-engined beast, thought I'd share the results and set up a little challenge for other tuners (using the same parts). Here goes:

PARTS
Stage 3 lightweight, chassis stiffen and refresh
Sport brakes and brake balance controller
Racing medium tyres
Stage 3 turbo (no intercooler), total power 584 kW
Racing Suspension
Full custom gearbox and LSD
Triple plate clutch, racing flywheel
No aerodynamics (not possible, anyway)

SETTINGS
brakes 6 / 3
springs 8.6 / 9.3
dampers bound 8 / 4
dampers rebound 4 / 8
camber 0.5 / 0
toe -4 / -1
stabilisers 1 / 7
gears 2.39 / 1.61 / 1.31 / 1.07 / 0.84 / 0.68, final drive 4.50
LSD 30 / 5 / 10

Apricot Hill lap time: 1:19.5 (I'm also happy to compare times and setups for other tracks if you like)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks for joining in. Wow, that is some incredible driving in your BTR thread.!

Yeah, this time you don't have aero or 4WD to play with so it's quite a challenge...

Let's see, it's a Yellowbird, and it's on Apricot Hill. I might have to start up GT4 and try this.

Hmmm ... maybe you have bitten off more than you can chew with that challenge.

MFT have released two of these cars, and I'd bet my left testicle that no tuner can beat them.

I'm giving this a try.

I had to win another Yellowbird because the one I had had an oil change and the power didn't come out right. I built it up with 584kw. (oddly enough I switched the units back to HP and the car makes 584HP. :confused: Doesn't seem right.

I ran a couple laps on the default settings (except for transmission settings) and made a best lap of 1:19.524.

The R3 tires tame this car quite a bit.

:sly: Storm warning incoming.. MFT's official tame racing driver did just some warm-up laps with the Yellowbird, after applying Blackbird Evo's setup on it. Let's just say that a scary video is on it's way.:scared:

Wow, that is some incredible driving in your BTR thread.!

Even if I say so myself, yes that was. It was me behind the wheel.

And it's me behind the wheel this time too. As noted above, the car is the Yellowbird with the specified parts but running the full Blackbird Evo suspension, brake and LSD setup. The transmission is based on it as closely as possible but using a final ratio of 4.500. What I got after six laps:

Any chance you could post another vid with the Yellowbird as a regular replay? Just curious.

Sure. It seems I got the view slightly off in both clips as the lower edges are missing, sorry for that.

I had to win another Yellowbird because the one I had had an oil change and the power didn't come out right. I built it up with 584kw. (oddly enough I switched the units back to HP and the car makes 584HP. :confused:
:confused: indeed. And sorry if I've made it harder to get a car with the same power figure, I didn't think about oil changes etc. Oh, yeah I have a PAL version by the way, if that matters.

the car is the Yellowbird with the specified parts but running the full Blackbird Evo suspension, brake and LSD setup. The transmission is based on it as closely as possible but using a final ratio of 4.500
Nice! So do you think there's far to go to tweak the tune to suit the yellowbird?

I actually found the BTR (also without aero though) to be nicer in stock form, but the Yellowbird becomes the less cranky car of the 2 when you're right at the limit trying to extract the last inches of grip.

:confused: indeed. And sorry if I've made it harder to get a car with the same power figure, I didn't think about oil changes etc. Oh, yeah I have a PAL version by the way, if that matters.

I actually found the BTR (also without aero though) to be nicer in stock form, but the Yellowbird becomes the less cranky car of the 2 when you're right at the limit trying to extract the last inches of grip.

I got the NTSC version.

Winning a new Yellowbird was no problem. I easily got it with my tuned CTR2. (Boxer Spirit in Professional Hall, if anyone else needs one)

I was more confused about the conflicting power figures in the game. It always gives different power numbers for each car depending on what screen you look at but with this car it is way off.

Also, the game gives the same number for horsepower as it does kilowatts.

:sly: Storm warning incoming.. MFT's official tame racing driver did just some warm-up laps with the Yellowbird, after applying Blackbird Evo's setup on it. Let's just say that a scary video is on it's way.:scared:

Hi, how's it going with the dedicated tune for the Yellowbird?

Mind if I take your Blackbird settings out for a spin in the Yellowbird and post some comments? I don't wanna come across as criticising your tune (and I realise it's not finished yet), just thought it could be interesting to discuss how the car is working with the tune.

Cheers,
Simon

That's exactly what Greycap drove. He used my Blackbird Evo's settings on the Yellowbird, with the exception of the gear ratios. That's our team effort.. And then there's the little fact that I made Blackbird Evo slightly vicious to drive. While it suits Greycaps driving like a driving glove, I myself have difficulties getting a clean-ish lap..

Hi, how's it going with the dedicated tune for the Yellowbird?

Not at all. A dedicated tune isn't in the works and I don't think it was ever announced to be...? The only real problem with the Blackbird setup is understeer at low speeds and that's a feature of the RR layout that can never be cured once and for all without completely destroying the balance at high speeds.

The reason for the feel difference between the RUF twins seems to come from the grip available, the BTR sticks to the road much better which explains both the better stock handling and the less forgiving tuned handling as it gets snappier when the pace increases. The Yellowbird lacks front end grip compared to its more sane brother and this leads to more controllability at high speeds as the tail won't begin flying so easily. And it's not a small difference we're talking about - with both cars lightened to the maximum, running on the same tyres, no downforce and the exact same suspension setup the BTR went through corner X without lifting at 200 km/h while the CTR kept understeering to the sand at barely over 170 km/h, even with weight shift applied. No idea what causes this but the difference definitely exists.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back