Who should join iRacing and why (straight dope from my 3 years.. LONG)

• Thread starter WedgeX
  • 21 comments
Canada
Canada
WedgeAB
So I've been playing this game since December 2010, and man has it been a ride.

I started because everything i read or heard about the game was positive for so long... but for about a year or so that pretty much went in one ear and out the other. But looking back I would have joined Day 1 of 2008 if I had known this was going to be my new hobby going on years now.

Probably the worst thing about iRacing is they don't let you try or test-drive anything before you buy, luckily its not that expensive to at least give it a try. Its about 9-12 dollars to try a month, some promotions offer a free month for 12 dollars which is how I started. Different packages promote different cars, but generally most of the (included) content is the same.... Start with the intention of spending as little as possible to wet your feet, if you don't know in the first few weeks than make sure not to let them auto-renew anything on your CC... I honestly think you can change this yourself in your account settings but I can't remember.... I knew within a few days just by the level of challenge that I was getting hooked but that might not happen for everyone.

at first you don't or at least shouldn't be spending much money as you adjust to the rookie racing series available to you with the initial included content... its something like 6 cars and 8 tracks.....if your not even a week in to this thing and already looking to buy more cars you need to reassess your priorities... because once you have spend a ton of money buying everything it will be clear how hard it is to stay competitive in even a few cars or even just one depending on your amount of free time. iRacing is so much more about the experience of racing than which particular car your driving anyway. Do yourself a favor and learn to heel toe with a clutch if you can, it will aid you in many ways down the line and its more fun, I would absolutely still play this 2 pedaled with a DFGT if I had no choice but clutch is the best way.

Now the racing as a rookie is tough, mainly because even if you manage to be a safe driver there are plenty of people who aren't willing to be safe or don't know how. I would say about 1/4th of the drivers are good enough in the rookie series (this is being generous) to the point you can pass them or race them without incident... that's just a guess but this ratio gets better as your rank improves and you are placed with better drivers... but this ratio is NEVER going to be everyone on the track... just one out of 24 bad drivers can cause a lot of carnage. The accidents have huge consequences compared to what GT players or even players of just about any other game are used to. Its probably the best and worst thing about iRacing... my personal worst streak is something like 13 DNF's ... It can be frustrating but its also what makes iRacing what it is. Without the consequences the intensity of racing just isn't there.... so what I'm getting at is you really need to take a safety first approach and don't expect to be able to race every driver in the same fashion. Here is where you first start to see how different iRacing is than everything else and how you can start to see the different personalities of the drivers by how they race. You can tell when drivers are confident and resolved, or nervous and intimidated... its brilliant. But the point is, you have to take the other drivers skill level into account when you race them and especially when you decide to pass them... its sometimes harder to safely pass a bad driver than a fast driver. It really seems like you have to adapt to the other drivers and the interaction while racing is what makes iRacing feel completely unlike any other game. Some battles are over quickly with one driver conceding the corner, while others seem to escalate and it becomes a matter of who is willing to risk more ...some drivers are slower than you and 'because of stubborn ego' will never let you by willing.. while others are quite easily intimidated to the point you can scare them into a mistake by racing them hard... its all punctuated by the ever present possibility of death (or at least a broke ass barely drivable car)... this hurts because unless you jump between a bunch of different series you can't race constantly. The races are at scheduled times, you wait... you join, get all worked up and can crash out at any moment. I assumed all of the times I got wrecked it was intentional but more often than not people are just bad drivers so don't go off the handle at everyone as if they did it on purpose (which is rare)

So the rookie series basically stick to those 8 tracks that come with your initial subscription... its a limited schedule that general repeats a few tracks every 4 weeks - but once you move up in skill and plan on running different series (different cars) be prepared for the fact that you need the tracks they race on. This is probably the biggest kick in the nuts once you move past the rookie series the intermediate series run a 12 week season, meaning a different track every week for each series (car).... so unless your willing to shell out for all those tracks or at least some of them your going to be spending some lonely weeks sitting out... YES its worth it and there can be many series that overlap and often use the same tracks but its also clear where iRacing's pricing strategy comes into play to make those dollars....

Judging from my 3 years (overall) I never really felt slighted beyond the (having to buy tracks) realization, just by the amount of improvements they've made over the years mainly the the physics model, but also the sounds, graphics etc. and the free content from time to time. Plus it always seems like they are trying to promote or offer discounts quite often... so if anything I've spent less and less as time goes on. Discounts like 2 years for the price of 1.... and recently I get 25% off all content for being a long time customer.... so all in all my experience has been positive. The only gripe I have is a lot of recent website outages... frequent unannounced downtime or website maintenance comes at a surprise right when I've been waiting all day to get online and bam... the website is down. Other than this recent hiccup its been outstanding.

Getting back to the racing....

Its outstanding! its continued to surprise and keep me interested for the last 3 years...

Road racing for me is where its at, the fun comes from the intensity of the racing. But the racing isn't intense if you can't hold your own and your getting passed by everyone or getting left in the dust. It does take quite a bit of investment in learning the tracks and getting your lap times down. Time trials suck but they are the best way to improve because your trying to minimize incidents while improving your speeds... its also a good idea to practice driving off-line because one of the first things you'll notice when racing real people is how much time you spend on parts of the track you never used when your alone and trying to put in a good time. Its extremely awkward to be suddenly squeezed or forced to the unfamiliar side of the track while taking it at full speed.

Oval VS Road.... unless you are already a NASCAR fan, please stay out of oval racing because its addicting has hell, the most fun you'll have with iRacing and worst of all... you gotta buy a bunch of circles to compete... some of the tracks are practically identical but you still gotta buy them.... but
It is without a doubt the most fun racing on the service. Is it the most challenging? No. Is it the most intense? No. But it is difficult, way more difficult than any NASCAR hater could imagine... and definitely your average uninitiated person is going to put a lot of cars into the wall or just generally be too slow to keep up until they get it right. It might even be more difficult to actually win an oval race than a road race, but in general participating is easier as there is less to get up to speed with than a road course. You race the other drivers more-so than the track and usually has a more social atmosphere than road racing.... in the heat of competition people tend to get quiet..whereas road racing they're almost always quite unless something bad happens - but there are many breaks in the action in Ovals and pace laps to mop up after accidents so there is tons of time to be social and its so much fun its hard to really care if you win or not... if you get top 5 its quite satisfying finish all those laps, survive accidents and get the car safely to the finish line. I didn't get into iRacing for the NASCAR nor am I a fan, I never liked it... for me its a guilty pleasure... its all the fun of racing people without the misery of time and work road courses take to learn.... you start to really get the oval bug and its so easy to leave road racing behind.

SO.....

if you want realistic competitive multiplayer racing this isn't the best, its really is honestly ALL THERE IS... and so far, even other games on PC that are starting to get the message and incorporate laser scanned tracks and realism don't have anywhere near the player base... you'll find great offline or single player track lapping in those games and some laggy-ass multiplayer but nothing like iRacing which offers about 2500-4000 players on average online daily... some of the series are less popular, meaning there are a few un-loved cars in iRacing that you should probably be aware of that are hard to get races in.... but there are also incredibly popular series that get hundreds of people for a each race....

I honestly would buy a computer to play this... I'll keep my old ass computer going as long as I can to keep playing it.

But in the end who should play this?....If you play video games more for competition than entertainment GET THIS - if you want the (in the moment) adrenaline rush of competition and to learn genuine racing skills.... if your not easily discouraged, and poor race results only motivate your more to be driving on track. This is the only game for you period.

but if your into gaming more for entertainment than competition than stick to games that offer better presentation, graphics and aren't this focused. Say what you will about Gran Turismo or Forza .. or even NFS... they offer the graphics arms race ... the hundreds of cars to test and try...and alot of laid back social online play and entertainment. GT5 and GT6 have Karting, Rally driving, drifting, time trials, online play, driving on the moon, etc... if you were stuck on an island with NO INTERNET you'd want GT6.... not iRacing...

but for ONLINE - iRacing only offers racing.... the best racing and nothing more or less.

Practice, Qualify, Race ... nothing else.

Last edited:
Kinda preaching to the choir here, but I guess if you post this elsewhere you'll be a hunted man :lol:

But in the end who should play this?....If you play video games more for competition than entertainment GET THIS - if you want the (in the moment) adrenaline rush of competition and to learn genuine racing skills.... if your not easily discouraged, and poor race results only motivate you more to be driving on track. This is the only game for you period.

Sums it up nicely 👍 I guess this is why we are all here and what keeps us coming back.

Yep, agree on most parts.

I'm 6 months into it, took a break around Christmas for 5-6 weeks but played it every week and nothing comes close to the feeling I get when I've had a great race.

I'm still D Class but that's because I encountered what many good drivers probably will, that I was winning races early on which sky rocketed my SR and iRating but then got put into higher splits and I wasn't ready so lost a ton due to making silly mistakes.

Which is probably my only issue with iRacing. So annoying to build up a good Safety Rating and iRating then lose it all after a couple of disastrous races. I did peak at about SR 4.00 and an iRating of 1800 within the first couple of months but I now focus on clean races over dashing for the win.

I've just purchased some new content, I didn't really need to but the thing with iRacing is you need to prepare for the higher classes so even though I'm enjoying the Mazda cup and Mazda MC series, I'm getting some practice in with the RUF, Z4, Ford GT etc so when I get to C class I'm not just jumping in blind. I don't see iRacing as a game, it's a participation thing where I need to plan and prepare and I enjoy it. Yes it's annoying that all the content is behind a pay wall and it's not the shiniest looking game out there but who cares if the racing is this good and if you manage to find a split that has equally committed drivers then the flaws vanish and it becomes a magical feeling. Except for ovals lol. Man, are they tougher than you ever imagined them to be!

So annoying to build up a good Safety Rating and iRating then lose it all after a couple of disastrous races.
Pro-tip (ok, I'm not a pro, but I think I can help a bit), consider your SR/iR as a savings account you spend when the time comes. You will have bad races from time to time and you need to be prepared so it doesn't cost you more than it should. That's just life, plan for it, accumulate SR/iR in order to have a safety margin later. If a bad race drops your IR so that you're no longer in the split you want to be in at your regular timeslots, you need to save more IR. Try racing in other times with a bit lower participation, try to improve your qualifying etc.

it's not the shiniest looking game out there
Honestly, I don't get this. Graphics in iRacing are excellent on max settings. Some other games I've tried look good too, with some gimmicks not present in iRacing, but I'm not sure those add anything to the realism.

Good post in OP.
iRacing is basically a hobby that will easily eat 100% of one's leisure time and then some (as in taking time off work to run a race during euro-friendly times etc). If someone already spends a lot of their leisure doing spec races with GT/Forza etc, they are better off with iRacing, IMO.

A fair assessment. Love what iRacing is about with consequences of your actions.
hob·by1
ˈhäbē/
noun
  1. 1.
    an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    "her hobbies are reading and gardening"
    synonyms:pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit;
    This does not describe me or should it be the majority if you're on the iRacing service. I make time for iRacing or any race SIM. This is a somewhat costly service for casual use, and by that I mean just stay a Rookie if you aren't going to put some time in practicing/testing and stay Rookie. I actually don't race that much, but I spend about 90% of the time, at least 6 hrs every night, in practice or TT (No Mustang this week, 4 GT3 races this week [8-10-12-2 MST races] it's a BMW Smash Derby). My 2 or 3 DNF's didn't happen til I moved to GT3 from the Mustang Challenge, but it's still exciting! And passing slow erratic GT3 drivers is very hard when they're just about as fast as you on the straight and slow as 🤬 in a turn!

Pro-tip: consider your SR/iR as a savings account you spend when the time comes... Try racing in other times with a bit lower participation, try to improve your qualifying etc

Yeah that's good advice, thanks. I'm kind of doing that now, instead of falling off the track in high split races and going for wins I'm taking it steady to get my SR and CPI better.

As for the graphics, I must confess that I'm currently playing it on a 2009 MacBook Pro so it's very basic to get the optimum FPS. I have got the funds for a new PC which I'll put together once all the parts have arrive. I have run iRacing on my friends PC which is a GTX 770 Sli set up and it did look very good but Assetto Corsa has the edge IMHO. But that's not taking anything away from iRacing, it's fantastic for what it does and glad I subscribed.

Pro-tip (ok, I'm not a pro, but I think I can help a bit), consider your SR/iR as a savings account you spend when the time comes. You will have bad races from time to time and you need to be prepared so it doesn't cost you more than it should. That's just life, plan for it, accumulate SR/iR in order to have a safety margin later. If a bad race drops your IR so that you're no longer in the split you want to be in at your regular timeslots, you need to save more IR. Try racing in other times with a bit lower participation, try to improve your qualifying etc.

Or you can just ignore them, drive as well as you can, and let the system sort you out.

Your iRating will put you in the splits you're supposed to be in, even if you don't like it.

Your Safety Rating will eventually stop you racing if you're being too aggressive, and you'll have to time trial (aka. practise) or drop down to a lower series (aka. practise) in order to race again.

That's somewhat true if one's IR has roughly stabilized. For someone new/learning/rising IR, it's not.

Except that in that situation you're not saving iR for that one bad race anyway, you're trying to get up to your natural level. Again, just ignoring the rating and driving how you would normally drive will get you there, you don't need to take any special steps and arguably there's nothing you can really do to speed it up anyway (other than drive safe, which you should probably be doing anyway).

Except that in that situation you're not saving iR for that one bad race anyway, you're trying to get up to your natural level.
I disagree. Both in the case of a growing IR and in general. IR is not some kind of universal measure of quality, unless we're talking about aliens. IR significantly depends on what races one's doing in what series and how often, so it's not something that's somehow reflects proper skill/pace. A reasonably skilled driver can do lots of Skippy/SRF and other D-class races and pick-up lots of IR. If one starts off doing GT3 or, say, V8SC, one's gonna be stuck with lower IR either because driving standards suck and one's gonna be taken out of the race often, or because the car is hard to drive and most US timezone-friendly splits going official are gonna be populated by high-IR Aussie people with races happening on Aussie servers as well. So, no, IR is not some mythical measure of one's ability that somehow puts you in correct split all the time. It's certainly correlated with one's ability, but to a large degree it's just a statistic one should totally manage within a certain range to maximize one's enjoyment of the service.

It's certainly correlated with one's ability, but to a large degree it's just a statistic one should totally manage within a certain range to maximize one's enjoyment of the service.

And how does one manage their iRating in this fashion, and how does it give better results than just driving whatever you want the best you can?

My point is not that iRating is perfect. It isn't, and no ELO based system is. But the benefit from worrying about it and trying to game the system as far as I can tell is SFA.

If I'm wrong, please tell me how I should be managing my iRating, because I just let it ride.

Read the post you first replied to, recommendations were there.

"Save more iR." Very helpful. It's not something anyone ever intentionally loses, apart from those tools who tank their iR at the end of a season to get into easy divisions.

"Race at times with lower participation." How does that help you build iR? If your iR is lower than it should be, you want to get into the highest SOF races possible.

A low participation race doesn't split, so there's only a limited amount of people to finish ahead of, and there's still going to be the random alien at the front.

A high participation race does split, so you're in a group with lots of people close to your iRating, but you're much better than that would indicate. There's a reasonable chance you can just walk the field and gain a huge amount of iRating.

Remember that you get iRating for each person that you finish ahead of based on their relative iRating, and lose iRating for each person you finish behind based on their relative iRating. You're better off finishing really well in a split close to your current (misassigned) iRating than finishing midpack in a race with a range of iRatings.

But then, racing is always a gamble. You don't know which races are going to be full of crashers, you don't know which other racers also have misassigned iRatings, or are racing outside of their normal class, or whatever. Realistically, you can try and optimise but the amount of other effects mean that the variance is huge anyway. Why stress about it for a minimal optimisation in the speed of getting to your correct iRating?

And if you are at your correct iRating, none of this really helps you at all. If you want to luck into an iRating higher than your actual skill, your best shot is to get into a series with a really hard to drive car like the V8, or a deadly track like Bathurst. Go slow and finish the race, you've got a reasonable chance of gaining iRating, even well above what you should technically be at by racing skill.

Then again, you could argue that superior race strategy has put you at exactly the correct iRating, because iRating is about where you finish, not how fast you are.

"Improve qualifying." Already covered under simply racing the best you can, part of that is qualifying the best you can.

None of these suggestions help a player conserve iRating over simply driving to get the best finish possible. I'm still not convinced it's necessary to pay any attention at all to managing your iRating.

I'm still not convinced it's necessary to pay any attention at all to managing your iRating.
That's okay, I don't aim to please everyone.
There are plenty of people in the lower-class series working on repairing the IR hits they took in the Z4 series, to avoid being in the lower splits in that Z4 series, which will mean a lot more damage to IR. But you're free to ignore your IR and do as you please.

There are plenty of people in the lower-class series working on repairing the IR hits they took in the Z4 series, to avoid being in the lower splits in that Z4 series, which will mean a lot more damage to IR. But you're free to ignore your IR and do as you please.

Ignoring the fact that if they took big hits in GT3, perhaps their iR was higher than it should have been or they simply hadn't practised enough. One can take an iR hit in one or two races by being unlucky and getting crashed out. If it's happening consistently, then it's probably one's own driving, but most people tend to ignore that and blame everything else. Even in GT3. There's more dangerous series than GT3 out there (Proto/GT for one).

Everyone seems to think that their highest ever iR is their true iR. It probably isn't. There's also a fairly large variance in iR just because of the way it works, even if you've stabilised at around about the correct number, you'll probably bounce around +/- ~200 iR of your "correct" iR.

You seem to have done a good job of ignoring the points I raised against your strategy of farming iR as well.

So I've been playing this game since December 2010, and man has it been a ride.

I started because everything i read or heard about the game was positive for so long... but for about a year or so that pretty much went in one ear and out the other. But looking back I would have joined Day 1 of 2008 if I had known this was going to be my new hobby going on years now.

Probably the worst thing about iRacing is they don't let you try or test-drive anything before you buy, luckily its not that expensive to at least give it a try. Its about 9-12 dollars to try a month, some promotions offer a free month for 12 dollars which is how I started. Different packages promote different cars, but generally most of the (included) content is the same.... Start with the intention of spending as little as possible to wet your feet, if you don't know in the first few weeks than make sure not to let them auto-renew anything on your CC... I honestly think you can change this yourself in your account settings but I can't remember.... I knew within a few days just by the level of challenge that I was getting hooked but that might not happen for everyone.

at first you don't or at least shouldn't be spending much money as you adjust to the rookie racing series available to you with the initial included content... its something like 6 cars and 8 tracks.....if your not even a week in to this thing and already looking to buy more cars you need to reassess your priorities... because once you have spend a ton of money buying everything it will be clear how hard it is to stay competitive in even a few cars or even just one depending on your amount of free time. iRacing is so much more about the experience of racing than which particular car your driving anyway. Do yourself a favor and learn to heel toe with a clutch if you can, it will aid you in many ways down the line and its more fun, I would absolutely still play this 2 pedaled with a DFGT if I had no choice but clutch is the best way.

Now the racing as a rookie is tough, mainly because even if you manage to be a safe driver there are plenty of people who aren't willing to be safe or don't know how. I would say about 1/4th of the drivers are good enough in the rookie series (this is being generous) to the point you can pass them or race them without incident... that's just a guess but this ratio gets better as your rank improves and you are placed with better drivers... but this ratio is NEVER going to be everyone on the track... just one out of 24 bad drivers can cause a lot of carnage. The accidents have huge consequences compared to what GT players or even players of just about any other game are used to. Its probably the best and worst thing about iRacing... my personal worst streak is something like 13 DNF's ... It can be frustrating but its also what makes iRacing what it is. Without the consequences the intensity of racing just isn't there.... so what I'm getting at is you really need to take a safety first approach and don't expect to be able to race every driver in the same fashion. Here is where you first start to see how different iRacing is than everything else and how you can start to see the different personalities of the drivers by how they race. You can tell when drivers are confident and resolved, or nervous and intimidated... its brilliant. But the point is, you have to take the other drivers skill level into account when you race them and especially when you decide to pass them... its sometimes harder to safely pass a bad driver than a fast driver. It really seems like you have to adapt to the other drivers and the interaction while racing is what makes iRacing feel completely unlike any other game. Some battles are over quickly with one driver conceding the corner, while others seem to escalate and it becomes a matter of who is willing to risk more ...some drivers are slower than you and 'because of stubborn ego' will never let you by willing.. while others are quite easily intimidated to the point you can scare them into a mistake by racing them hard... its all punctuated by the ever present possibility of death (or at least a broke ass barely drivable car)... this hurts because unless you jump between a bunch of different series you can't race constantly. The races are at scheduled times, you wait... you join, get all worked up and can crash out at any moment. I assumed all of the times I got wrecked it was intentional but more often than not people are just bad drivers so don't go off the handle at everyone as if they did it on purpose (which is rare)

So the rookie series basically stick to those 8 tracks that come with your initial subscription... its a limited schedule that general repeats a few tracks every 4 weeks - but once you move up in skill and plan on running different series (different cars) be prepared for the fact that you need the tracks they race on. This is probably the biggest kick in the nuts once you move past the rookie series the intermediate series run a 12 week season, meaning a different track every week for each series (car).... so unless your willing to shell out for all those tracks or at least some of them your going to be spending some lonely weeks sitting out... YES its worth it and there can be many series that overlap and often use the same tracks but its also clear where iRacing's pricing strategy comes into play to make those dollars....

Judging from my 3 years (overall) I never really felt slighted beyond the (having to buy tracks) realization, just by the amount of improvements they've made over the years mainly the the physics model, but also the sounds, graphics etc. and the free content from time to time. Plus it always seems like they are trying to promote or offer discounts quite often... so if anything I've spent less and less as time goes on. Discounts like 2 years for the price of 1.... and recently I get 25% off all content for being a long time customer.... so all in all my experience has been positive. The only gripe I have is a lot of recent website outages... frequent unannounced downtime or website maintenance comes at a surprise right when I've been waiting all day to get online and bam... the website is down. Other than this recent hiccup its been outstanding.

Getting back to the racing....

Its outstanding! its continued to surprise and keep me interested for the last 3 years...

Road racing for me is where its at, the fun comes from the intensity of the racing. But the racing isn't intense if you can't hold your own and your getting passed by everyone or getting left in the dust. It does take quite a bit of investment in learning the tracks and getting your lap times down. Time trials suck but they are the best way to improve because your trying to minimize incidents while improving your speeds... its also a good idea to practice driving off-line because one of the first things you'll notice when racing real people is how much time you spend on parts of the track you never used when your alone and trying to put in a good time. Its extremely awkward to be suddenly squeezed or forced to the unfamiliar side of the track while taking it at full speed.

Oval VS Road.... unless you are already a NASCAR fan, please stay out of oval racing because its addicting has hell, the most fun you'll have with iRacing and worst of all... you gotta buy a bunch of circles to compete... some of the tracks are practically identical but you still gotta buy them.... but
It is without a doubt the most fun racing on the service. Is it the most challenging? No. Is it the most intense? No. But it is difficult, way more difficult than any NASCAR hater could imagine... and definitely your average uninitiated person is going to put a lot of cars into the wall or just generally be too slow to keep up until they get it right. It might even be more difficult to actually win an oval race than a road race, but in general participating is easier as there is less to get up to speed with than a road course. You race the other drivers more-so than the track and usually has a more social atmosphere than road racing.... in the heat of competition people tend to get quiet..whereas road racing they're almost always quite unless something bad happens - but there are many breaks in the action in Ovals and pace laps to mop up after accidents so there is tons of time to be social and its so much fun its hard to really care if you win or not... if you get top 5 its quite satisfying finish all those laps, survive accidents and get the car safely to the finish line. I didn't get into iRacing for the NASCAR nor am I a fan, I never liked it... for me its a guilty pleasure... its all the fun of racing people without the misery of time and work road courses take to learn.... you start to really get the oval bug and its so easy to leave road racing behind.

SO.....

if you want realistic competitive multiplayer racing this isn't the best, its really is honestly ALL THERE IS... and so far, even other games on PC that are starting to get the message and incorporate laser scanned tracks and realism don't have anywhere near the player base... you'll find great offline or single player track lapping in those games and some laggy-ass multiplayer but nothing like iRacing which offers about 2500-4000 players on average online daily... some of the series are less popular, meaning there are a few un-loved cars in iRacing that you should probably be aware of that are hard to get races in.... but there are also incredibly popular series that get hundreds of people for a each race....

I honestly would buy a computer to play this... I'll keep my old ass computer going as long as I can to keep playing it.

But in the end who should play this?....If you play video games more for competition than entertainment GET THIS - if you want the (in the moment) adrenaline rush of competition and to learn genuine racing skills.... if your not easily discouraged, and poor race results only motivate your more to be driving on track. This is the only game for you period.

but if your into gaming more for entertainment than competition than stick to games that offer better presentation, graphics and aren't this focused. Say what you will about Gran Turismo or Forza .. or even NFS... they offer the graphics arms race ... the hundreds of cars to test and try...and alot of laid back social online play and entertainment. GT5 and GT6 have Karting, Rally driving, drifting, time trials, online play, driving on the moon, etc... if you were stuck on an island with NO INTERNET you'd want GT6.... not iRacing...

but for ONLINE - iRacing only offers racing.... the best racing and nothing more or less.

Practice, Qualify, Race ... nothing else.
Interesting, you know that if you change a couple words like buying tracks to upgrading your car, and change iracing to racing, your pretty much describing real racing? And doing a very fine job of it! Racing schools all over the country don't spend any time on the phycology of racing, one of the biggest factors, and you do get total ass-hats on track. People are constantly surprised when I explain how people on a racetrack and 405 freeway have the same percentage of ignorance to their surroundings.

But I will say, real racing is much easier than iracing... I'm newer to iracing but I can't seem to figure out how to "hook" into the slip angle yet... I just sorta get luck :/

I love IRacing! I'll have to subscribe again when I get another wheel, hopefully the wife will be nice on my birthday in 9 days!:):confused:👍👍👍 Anyways when I first started out, I remember 1 race were I ended up passing a guy "in the rookie mazda cup car" on the corner as clean as possible, put me in first place on the last lap and he decided he was going to take his anger out on me and rammed me off the track. Now I know rubbin is racing but this guy did it outta spite. You see yes it is a gamble going into a race and you hope for the best, but there were only 2 races were I was taken out deliberately. You can report them and I'm pretty sure the mods go over the footage and stuff. I still love the racing, it gets your adrenalin going and it feels like no other. Plus you get to meet some really cool people who will help you and give you great advise.:cheers:

I Anyways when I first started out, I remember 1 race were I ended up passing a guy "in the rookie mazda cup car" on the corner as clean as possible, put me in first place on the last lap and he decided he was going to take his anger out on me and rammed me off the track. Now I know rubbin is racing but this guy did it outta spite. You see yes it is a gamble going into a race and you hope for the best, but there were only 2 races were I was taken out deliberately. You can report them and I'm pretty sure the mods go over the footage and stuff. I still love the racing, it gets your adrenalin going and it feels like no other. Plus you get to meet some really cool people who will help you and give you great advise.:cheers:
By my experiences, "expect to be put off the track" this type of racing behavior is what the Road side is. On the Oval side it's more incidental contact, but still other's swear by it that you intentionally got into their quarter, doored them, hooked their rear bumper, etc, etc.

Back