Who Writes Their Own Music?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter kennythebomb
  • 11 comments
  • 826 views
Messages
4,394
Who here on GTP writes their own songs, whether by yourself, or in a band setting?

Do you record them? Make money off them? Just for fun?

What style(s) ?

Right now I'm writing/recording a song I wrote called 'State of Mind', and it's going to clock in at somewhere around 9 minutes or so. The song keeps changing, as I like to throw in different styles and such.
 
I've written a few songs (acoustic guitar and vocals/harmony vocals) but never got round to recording them on anything more advanced than my trusty tape recorder (except for one session with my friends 8 track) -

Actually, the quality was quite good at times - what I did was record one track (guitar and main vocal) on my tape recorder, then take the tape out and play it through my stereo - I would then play another guitar track and do the harmony vocals, and record the whole lot 'live' on the tape recorder... worked quite well, although still pretty dodge quality overall.

I used to be in a band playing keyboard (but was not the songwriter), but had to leave to pursue my studies - but after some 8 years of practicing and touring bars and clubs in Edinburgh and Glasgow, it looks like they are now making it :D http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onemusic/rob/060209_saintjudes.shtml

Their first album is available via iTunes (and it has my name in the credits ;) :D )
 
Sure do...

I have written a multitude of different songs... The music as well as lyrics...

Everything from experimental electronica, to metal, to tribal, to drum and bass, to hard rock, and even some classical styles...

I have been in 4 different bands... I have always been the lead vocalist, as well as taking care of any electronic work (samplers, groove boxes, drum machines, turntables, etc...)

I did make some money from being in bands, especialy my old band "Peroxide", which went on a small tour of the east coast, along side "Crowbar", and "Prick"...





;)
 
That's cool that you guys have had some band experiences. I'd like to hear something you guys have recorded.

Good luck to your ex-band, TM.
 
I've written 3.5 songs. The first two were just guitar tracks I laid down and pieced together. For the third song, I put drum tracks with it, so it actually sounds complete. I still listen to it on my MP3 player occasionally :). I have a song in the works now, which is mainly bass driven, but it's been on the back burner for a while as I have not had time to finish it. I hope to one day have a CD's worth of my own songs, but that will take a while.

For recording, I use my computer with Cakewalk Guitar Studio, and FL Studio 5 for drum tracks.
 
I write my own stuff, and am still in the midst of forming a band with some buddies. I play the guitar, and we write mainly metal based around harmonized melodies. As of now, we're still only recording our stuff onto computer. We have about 4(?) finished songs, and probably about 6 or 7 that we have started and never got back to.:crazy:
 
I write music, all guitar and/or piano. I made a CD in 2003 but I'm waaay better than that now.
 
ive written about 45 original songs.

the frst 10 or so were for a hardcore band that never materialized and i then decided i wasnt in to them anymore so i scrapped them.

the last 35 have been thrash and powerviolence, for two current bands that are in the process of getting together.
 
Well you know me, I write my own stuff. I'm alone for the moment, and I'm looking through forming a band of trash/speed/melodical (and sometimes just heavy) metal like Megadeth which is a big inspiration for me (Dave Mustaine's my idol so...). I'm not looking foward to be popular and become famous, for the moment I concentrate on having fun, and if I feel that I could get in the scene, I'll just give it a shot. :)
 
I've written 9-10 songs all ranging around 2 min to 4 min long. They are all grunge sounding with lots distortion, palm muting and speed sections, but I do slow it up now and then and I do have a few songs that have some clean guitar in it ( no distortion ). They're not completely up to proffesional standards as I suck at playing solos and can't write them.
 
Back