Who's internet connection is an online race routed through?

  • Thread starter Thread starter akira2501
  • 5 comments
  • 637 views
Messages
115
Messages
akira-2501
Who's internet connection is an online race routed through?

We've had some network stability issues in my league that I'm looking to improve.

If a race is held in my lounge, does that mean that I am the server?

Do I need to be first into my lounge in order for the racers to route through my internet connection?

Does it even matter or are we always at the mercy of PSN?

Any input on the issue would be appreciated.
I have a T1 at my home and I'm hoping to find a way to host on my connection.
 
I have always read/thought that 'your' internet connection is only as fast as the slowest user connected.

That explains why on some online races the host kicks someone and the lag issue disappears.
 
I have had some connection problems also in my league. It seems that the only way to force a classic client/server setup you'll have to create a room using the open lobby and select Fixed Room Ownership.

I'm also interested in experiences of others dealing with these issues...
 
We had some issues last night....it seems that the 'host' can exit their own lounge, turn off their PS3 and go to bed whilst others are free to race around...so the hosts lounge is not solely dependent on the hosts internet connection...it is a remote server that needs to be activated by the host but then remains valid until all guests/host leave...yep I'm confused too but working on a solution...it could be the slowest connection affects everything...but who has the slowest connection and why??...we will return after these messages...
 
Thanks for the info,

Anyone else have some tech insights on this?
 
We had some issues last night....it seems that the 'host' can exit their own lounge, turn off their PS3 and go to bed whilst others are free to race around...so the hosts lounge is not solely dependent on the hosts internet connection...it is a remote server that needs to be activated by the host but then remains valid until all guests/host leave...yep I'm confused too but working on a solution...it could be the slowest connection affects everything...but who has the slowest connection and why??...we will return after these messages...

Actually you can enter any other user's lounge even if they themselves are online or not. You then become the race host - in the other user's lounge.

The way we do it in our league is that we have a special PSN account setup for the league. Anybody with that account in their friend list can at anytime enter the lounge for a bit of practice, if others in the league want to practice they can then join the lounge. At race night we usually let someone with a pretty good internet connection enter the lounge first to (hopefully) improve things.
 
Back