Why a lot of people have never heard of this game

• Thread starter JR98
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
This game was great from what I've heard and seen, so its a real shame that a lot of people have not heard of it. It's KONAMI's only racing title, and was overshadowed by GT4. The main reason is that GT4 was much better known as the PS2's big racer. and Forza Motorsport was already out on XBOX, so this game had big competition and that is the main reason it never sold as well as it could have. Also a lot of the cars (RS6, Vanquish, Astra DTM etc.) were in GT4 and Forza and it didn't really offer that much new to the genre. If this game was out a few months earlier, maybe it would have sold really well, and maybe there would have been a few sequels, especially as it is hinted at in game, even though, 10 years later, no news about a sequel has been said. It's such a shame a great game like this never got a lot of attention in the sim racing market

Err...well you can add a couple more things on. Firstly it was overshadowed in part because Konami likes advertising heavily for certain games, and 2005 had a fair share of titles, namely MGS3, Rumble Roses, and DDRX2 with nods to Nano Breaker, Wallace and Grommit, PES5-Winning Eleven 9, and TMNT3, and that's just on the PS2.

Now as for post-release, the game has restricting issues the GT4 and Forza didn't have, like the penalty system that dock you points for actions caused by the AI, the AI itself, the lack of customization, and a few jarring graphical issues mostly pertaining to high-end foregrounds with low end backdrops.

The you have the grinding for both XP sets and new cars, the Driving Revolution that can be very unforgiving, and driving physics that, unless you can easily adapt, can feel very restricted with assist on and very slide-happy with them off, though this last bit is dependent on you and your car choice as to how far they go.]

Overall it is a good and solid game that simply didn't shake out. As many people go on about it now, I think Konami could easily take a new look at it if they ever felt like stepping out of their box again.

Err...well you can add a couple more things on. Firstly it was overshadowed in part because Konami likes advertising heavily for certain games, and 2005 had a fair share of titles, namely MGS3, Rumble Roses, and DDRX2 with nods to Nano Breaker, Wallace and Grommit, PES5-Winning Eleven 9, and TMNT3, and that's just on the PS2.

Now as for post-release, the game has restricting issues the GT4 and Forza didn't have, like the penalty system that dock you points for actions caused by the AI, the AI itself, the lack of customization, and a few jarring graphical issues mostly pertaining to high-end foregrounds with low end backdrops.

The you have the grinding for both XP sets and new cars, the Driving Revolution that can be very unforgiving, and driving physics that, unless you can easily adapt, can feel very restricted with assist on and very slide-happy with them off, though this last bit is dependent on you and your car choice as to how far they go.]

Overall it is a good and solid game that simply didn't shake out. As many people go on about it now, I think Konami could easily take a new look at it if they ever felt like stepping out of their box again.
yeah they should have made a sequel or two

I think they keep it in mind, but they have Metal Gear Solid, a series that is really a cash printer for them. DDR did well too, and Pro Evo Soccer has been taking market share for a few years now, IIRC. I don't think Enthusia 2 is out of the question, but I think it may be a "Oh, by they way guys" type release that we don't know when or if it's coming.

I think they keep it in mind, but they have Metal Gear Solid, a series that is really a cash printer for them. DDR did well too, and Pro Evo Soccer has been taking market share for a few years now, IIRC. I don't think Enthusia 2 is out of the question, but I think it may be a "Oh, by they way guys" type release that we don't know when or if it's coming.
possibly, I never actually got a chance to play it, I don't think it was sold in the UK as I have never seen it in the game stores near me or anything

I'll take it as a sign that Konami didn't purge it from it's memory. That they did use the tracks means they at least know that they have the idea to kick around every once in a while. If GT7 isn't God-on-a-disk like the "fans" demand it be, then there might be a chance they stick a foot in the door again.

It is indeed a good (and forgotten) game. A game that was ahead of its time and competitors, putting them to shame (on the consoles) as far as physics go. Deserves far more recognition than it ever got.

But looking back, GT4 would've overshadowded everything in it's way regardless, due to being the behemoth it is - or used to be. The reviews didn't help Enthusia either. The game was harsh, weird and punishing in the eyes of many, resulting in mediocre scores (and poor sales I imagine). Only the (hard)core gamers stuck around. GT4 was far more accessible and way more forgiving.

Also a lot of the cars (RS6, Vanquish, Astra DTM etc.) were in GT4 and Forza and it didn't really offer that much new to the genre.
I beg to differ. What about the Ferraris and Porches in FM1? GT4 never had them and the franchise has yet to see many of those cars.

In regards to Enthusia and GT4, the franchise never had and still doesn't have cars such as the BMW M3 E30, the M1 Procar or the BMW 3.0 CSL Group 5 race car. De Tomasso Pantera? Nope. Dauer EB110? No. Abarth 1000 TCR Berlina? Aston Martin DB5? Lancia 037 Stradale - just to name a few? No, no and no. Not to mention Saab, a manufacturer that Gran Turismo or PD has yet to acknowledge. With it's puny car list and budget in comparison to GT4, they sure did manage to create an intriguing line-up in my opinion.

If this game was out a few months earlier, maybe it would have sold really well, and maybe there would have been a few sequels, especially as it is hinted at in game, even though, 10 years later, no news about a sequel has been said. It's such a shame a great game like this never got a lot of attention in the sim racing market
...and properly advertised, then perhaps it might have had a chance.

I owned it twice and never really got into it. I didn't find the handling to be overly fluent, either.

I don't know how the hell I found out about it, but I know I found it because I wanted to find a game that had the Bugatti EB110 in it. That turned out to be the reason why I bought it (off eBay for quite a steal really). It's really a cool game but quite different and difficult to get into because of the layout (I found it confusing). I'm surprised I never heard of it because surely Konami could afford the advertising especially off of the massive success of the Metal Gear series.

I have a feeling the Enthusia team spent so much time/money acquiring data and cranking out the simulation elements that the game was behind schedule and they left the budget a bit short when it came time for marketing. It's not about how much money Konami had, but how much they were willing to spend in a bid to carve out a spot next to Polyphony Digital's juggernaut, like Hyland was saying.

I always thought it interesting (though probably coincidental) that when the Forza 3/Forza 4 car list started getting huge, it seemed to draw a lot more inspiration from Enthusia's list than it did from GT. Maybe Forza 2 was the same way as well, but I can't comment on that.

Back