Why are GT7’s open lobbies so laggy? Can it be fixed?

• Thread starter Leggacy
  • 25 comments
United Kingdom
Uk
TheLeggacy
It’s been nearly a year now and I’ve not once found an open lobby where the cars don’t constantly lag and jitter. GT sport does not have this problem, which is why I’m still playing sport rather than racing in open lobbies in 7.

Why is this happening, is there a way to fix it? Is the problem at my end or with the servers?

It’s a shame because the connection to the sport servers in GT7 is pretty good.

I hope this gets fixed soon as I’m kind of losing interest in GT7 😕

GT7 is such a good game, but the lobbies are awful and having a good clean close race is completely impossible. Horrible.

I have had the game since Christmas and am close to finishing most the solo content that interests me, after which I may have to return back to GT Sport.

Where did you get this information from?
Tested and expirence it by myself.
1 lobby only ps5 version runs more or less flawless (beside bad internet connection) No entry exit stutter, no laggy cars.
1 ps4 enter the lobby and all gone. Havy entry exit stutters massive lag for all cars.
I raced to 95% open lobby in gtsport and only really wors connection enters there was an entry exit lag but only the car who had the bad connection was lagging. The rest was fine.
Honestly, right now im done with the game because of the open lobby problems. I cant enjoy it. Everytime got hit by laggy cars or there glitch trough. No wheel to wheel racing possible. Everytime an entry exit lag happens the adaptiv trigger turn off and on and you can heare it.

Splitting both version is for me the only solution that really work.

Bump!

Sooooo… I’ve done a test, with one other PS5 player and it was fine. Shame my PSN friends are a mixture of ps4 and 5 players.

This really needs to be fixed, it’s killing the game for me.

On a lighter note: at least i can talk about Sophy and people might think I’ve got a girlfriend 😂

I think there is some confusion around what people are referring to as lag; There is the lag that everyone knows, where cars will zip and zoom all over the place which is caused by network issues. I've seen no more of this than I experienced in GT Sport (in fact, probably less!) Then there is "jitter", where cars appear to be rapidly shifting on their local X axis (left/right). It is my belief that this jitter is neither a network/lag issue or a cross-gen hardware issue, but completely software based and nothing that cannot be fixed:
  • For every other frame most data pertaining to your car is packaged up into a Packet[1] and is sent to all other players via the host[2]
  • Each packet will contain, amongst many other things, a X (left/right) coordinate, a Y (up/down) coordinate, and a Z (forwards/backwards) coordinate.
  • Each packet sent is of a fixed size so the recieving device knows if it recieved a complete packet or not.
  • If a packet is smaller than the recieving device expects it is discarded, in effect becoming a lost packet.
  • A lot of lost packets produce the typical lag we all recognise. However...
  • Since jittering vehicles appear to maintain their correct Z coordinate[3] it can be safely assumed that the recieving devices did indeed recieve a complete packet.
  • If a device has recieved a complete packet, which is not out of sequence, lag is not the issue.
  • If a device is
[1] It will be pretty much the same data that GT was recently "discovered" to ouput last year which is being used for motion control rigs and external dash boards, etc.
[2] Since GT has had online multiplayer rooms those with fixed ownership utilise star type networks and those with unfixed ownership utilise mesh type networks. As GT7 only has fixed room ownership it is probably more than safe to assume all rooms now operate as a star type network.
[3] I tested this today; I was fortunate to find someone in a lobby who was of a very similar pace to me and was jittering. I sat on their rear bumper for lap after lap and not once did we visibly make contact nor did their car do the tell-tale lag induced sudden lurch forward despite appearing not to have made contact.

A further observation is that the X axis jitter increases with steering input; on straights with no steering input, the jitter stops. If a car on a straight moves to defend a line, requiring only a little steering input, there is only a little amount of jitter until the steering is straightened up again. In corners, depending upon the radius of the corner, the jitter gets worse.

Again, if only one axis affected it cannot be a network or cross-gen hardware issue. If its not a network or cross-gen hardware issue its got to be a software issue and thus can be fixed.

Last edited:
I think there is some confusion around what people are referring to as lag; There is the lag that everyone knows, where cars will zip and zoom all over the place which is caused by network issues. I've seen no more of this than I experienced in GT Sport (in fact, probably less!) Then there is "jitter", where cars appear to be rapidly shifting on their local Y axis (left/right). It is my belief that this jitter is neither a network/lag issue or a cross-gen hardware issue, but completely software based and nothing that cannot be fixed:
  • For every other frame most data pertaining to your car is packaged up into a Packet[1] and is sent to all other players via the host[2]
  • Each packet will contain, amongst many other things, a X (up/down) coordinate, a Y (left/right) coordinate and a Z (forwards/backwards) coordinate.
  • Each packet sent is of a fixed size so the recieving device knows if it recieved a complete packet or not.
  • If a packet is smaller than the recieving device expects it is discarded, in effect becoming a lost packet.
  • Since jittering vehicles appear to maintain their correct Z coordinate[3] it can be safely assumed that the recieving devices did indeed recieve a complete packet.
  • If a device has recieved a complete packet, which is not out of sequence, lag is not the issue.
  • If a device is
[1] It will be pretty much the same data that GT was recently "discovered" to ouput last year which is being used for motion control rigs and external dash boards, etc.
[2] Since GT has had online multiplayer rooms those with fixed ownership utilise star type networks and those with unfixed ownership utilise mesh type networks. As GT7 only has fixed room ownership it is probably more than safe to assume all rooms now operate as a star type network.
[3] I tested this today; I was fortunate to find someone in a lobby who was of a very similar pace to me and was jittering. I sat on their rear bumper for lap after lap and not once did we visibly make contact nor did their car do the tell-tale lag induced sudden lurch forward despite appearing not to have made contact.

A further observation is that the Y axis jitter increases with steering input; on straights with no steering input, the jitter stops. If a car on a straight moves to defend a line, requiring only a little steering input, there is only a little amount of jitter until the steering is straightened up again. In corners, depending upon the radius of the corner, the jitter gets worse.

Again, if only one axis affected it cannot be a network or cross-gen hardware issue. If its not a network or cross-gen hardware issue its got to be a software issue and thus can be fixed.
Yeah, maybe jitter is the right word. Either way it sucks, totally ruins online play and I can’t believe it’s not being addressed. Sport is better for racing your mates which is a shame because GT7 has a lot to offer.

I can count with the fingers on my left elbow how many times I’ve had a smooth open lobby on GT7 😕

It’s been nearly a year now and I’ve not once found an open lobby where the cars don’t constantly lag and jitter. GT sport does not have this problem, which is why I’m still playing sport rather than racing in open lobbies in 7.

Why is this happening, is there a way to fix it? Is the problem at my end or with the servers?

It’s a shame because the connection to the sport servers in GT7 is pretty good.

I hope this gets fixed soon as I’m kind of losing interest in GT7 😕
I'm on PS4 and frequently/often get other cars going sideways, backwards falling way behind and then catching up and in front of me again when it stops. Is this what you mean by jittery? It happens to me outside the lobby in the daily races as well.

Thanks

I'm on PS4 and frequently/often get other cars going sideways, backwards falling way behind and then catching up and in front of me again when it stops. Is this what you mean by jittery? It happens to me outside the lobby in the daily races as well.

Thanks
Thats good old fashioned lag.

I was kicked out a lobby for a collision due to the aforementioned jitter or lag (whatever you want to call it). Lobbies are simply unplayable for me at the moment. Back to GT Sport where this simply does not happen. What a waste of money GT7 was.

I think there is some confusion around what people are referring to as lag; There is the lag that everyone knows, where cars will zip and zoom all over the place which is caused by network issues. I've seen no more of this than I experienced in GT Sport (in fact, probably less!) Then there is "jitter", where cars appear to be rapidly shifting on their local Y axis (left/right). It is my belief that this jitter is neither a network/lag issue or a cross-gen hardware issue, but completely software based and nothing that cannot be fixed:
  • Each packet will contain, amongst many other things, a X (up/down) coordinate, a Y (left/right) coordinate and a Z (forwards/backwards) coordinate.
  • If a device is

A further observation is that the Y axis jitter increases with steering input; on straights with no steering input, the jitter stops. If a car on a straight moves to defend a line, requiring only a little steering input, there is only a little amount of jitter until the steering is straightened up again. In corners, depending upon the radius of the corner, the jitter gets worse.

I'm confused by your Y axis. Usually Y is vertical, X horizontal and Z depth.

Edit: and the jittering I usually experience in public lobbies is on the Z axis, causing the affected car to move back and forth instead of side to side.

Edit2: in need of correcting myself the Z axis can be the Y axis, depending on the application. E.g. a map lying flat uses X and Y for the axies parallel to the ground while Z describes height. A 3D object standing upright would use X for width, Y for height and Z for depth, thus having the cartisian coordinates rotated by 90 degrees. As confusing as this sounds, it actually is. Some 3D software flip Z and Y.

Last edited:
I was kicked out a lobby for a collision due to the aforementioned jitter or lag (whatever you want to call it). Lobbies are simply unplayable for me at the moment. Back to GT Sport where this simply does not happen. What a waste of money GT7 was.

I feel your frustration, I’m in a very respectable league and I wonder what they think I’m doing when spaz mode hits (jitters). It was very bad Wednesday and yesterday I had zero problems. I’m beginning to think ps5 doesn’t like ps4 players or vice versa. If you happen to get in a race where everyone is on the same platform everything’s fine….I’m sure someone will blow up my theory.

I'm confused by your Y axis. Usually Y is vertical, X horizontal and Z depth.
yeah, my bad. Will edit.
Edit: and the jittering I usually experience in public lobbies is on the Z axis, causing the affected car to move back and forth instead of side to side.
I've only seen that kind of jitter in videos but it looks very related to the left/right jitter. Whereas the left/right jitter increases with steering input those jumps forward seem dependant upon rate of acceleration. As a vehicle gets faster, and the rate of acceleration slows, the jumps forward look like they get smaller and smaller.

I'm starting to suspect there is a bug in the "secondary" physics engine that tries to predict where your opponent will be between (multiplayer) data packets... GT is quite literally arguing with itself.

I find it hard it believe it’s been a year and this hasn’t been fixed yet. It’s the elephant in the room that polyphony are completely ignoring. There seem to be plenty of people playing in janky jittery lobbies so maybe PD don’t think theres a problem.

I will continue to play multiplayer in GT sport. We can only hope that the sport servers stay active until a time PD pull their finger out of their collective…🤔… exhaust pipe and sort this out.

The quality of GT7's multiplayer connection is poor, and it hasn't improved after a year.
This problem is very rare in GTS, PD is really very irresponsible!!!

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but I thought it would be useful to share my own experience.

I had the same issue while playing in a lobby with a friend on the other side of the world. When we both switched to an Ethernet cable instead of using WiFi, it made a huge difference.

I'm not a professional and maybe this is not good advice. If it isn't, I apologize for it.

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but I thought it would be useful to share my own experience.

I had the same issue while playing in a lobby with a friend on the other side of the world. When we both switched to an Ethernet cable instead of using WiFi, it made a huge difference.

I'm not a professional and maybe this is not good advice. If it isn't, I apologize for it.

It's certainly worth a try if anyone's experiencing issues.

It has been mentioned numerous times about ps4 and 5 not playing nicely in gt7 lobbies, with people trying out various tests, scenarios.

So if people are playing cross gens, youre probably unlikely to get a great connection if you're experiencing problems.

Worth visiting this thread from our very own @Famine.

Last edited:
So, last night I made a private lobby with two other players, one of them on a standard PS4 and the other two on PS5. We had a lag/jitter free lobby, mostly, the PS4 player lagged a couple of times but nothing serious. When I looked at other lobbies they all lagged and jittered apart from one Portuguese where they were all from the same country.

I’m thinking that location really makes a difference ie, if any of the players are from a different country you’re likely to experience jitter. Need to do a few more tests

So, last night I made a private lobby with two other players, one of them on a standard PS4 and the other two on PS5. We had a lag/jitter free lobby, mostly, the PS4 player lagged a couple of times but nothing serious. When I looked at other lobbies they all lagged and jittered apart from one Portuguese where they were all from the same country.

I’m thinking that location really makes a difference ie, if any of the players are from a different country you’re likely to experience jitter. Need to do a few more tests
The weird things is I play with the same group of guys practically every night - we're from the UK, France, Germany, Holland, Greece, Palestine and a few from the US (plus whatever randomers join) and on a mixture of PS4 and PS5 - and, for the most part there is very little jitter.

laggy mainly occurs when a player appears in
When the pit (the player appears on the pit on the map),
or when the player's vehicle leaves the pit,
The more players appear, the more serious the laggy will be (freeze for 1~3 seconds),
If the game is started, it will not happen
(because the player cannot enter the game to appear in the pit),
Therefore, it is speculated that it is not a problem with the network signal,
but more like the processing delay of the PD server when players join the pit.

The weird things is I play with the same group of guys practically every night - we're from the UK, France, Germany, Holland, Greece, Palestine and a few from the US (plus whatever randomers join) and on a mixture of PS4 and PS5 - and, for the most part there is very little jitter.
Is it always the same person hosting?

Back