Why are there no defensive driving tests in GT4?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gtaddict
  • 21 comments
  • 1,294 views
Messages
93
Sorry to make another new thread in the one day, but why is there no defensive driving in GT4? The licsense tests are only about attacking/overtaking but nothing about defending your line really, beingf in a slower car, and holding someone behind.

Very disappointing :(
 
Really wouldn't work, as 50% of the time, the Computer AI will accept your block as legitimate and hold back, and the other 50%, they'll just punt you out of the way and into the gravel traps.
 
Because if the AI can catch up to you enough to make a block necessary, then there's something wrong with you. That, or you're using a Subaru 360 to beat the JGTC Championchip. :rolleyes:
 
1) The AI always takes the best line, and if you're in front you should be too
2) The AI will just ram into you if they're closing at any speed
3) Blocking a much faster car in real racing is dangerous and usually illegal
4) If you can get in front, the only reason to block is if you mess up or your tires go out on you
5) As soon as the AunI hit your back bumper you'd fail the license test
 
they should make you stop at stoplights on the city courses and if you dont the pace car comes out lights a flashin' and spins you out :yuck:
 
Because defensive driving techniques don't work against bulldozer-spec AI Honda Civics.
 
You guys have definitely NOT done any 200p races.

Blocking is probably the single most important technique used for 200p races.

The AI will ram you if it's closing fast from a distance, especially at the end of long straights (NY and Sarthe are top of the list).

However, if it's on your tail it will work *hard* to try to find a path around you, assuming it's faster than you of course. The AI will even back off and attempt to find a new line around you.
 
JTSnooks
1) The AI always takes the best line, and if you're in front you should be too
4) If you can get in front, the only reason to block is if you mess up or your tires go out on you
There are numerous examples where this is not true - El Capitan, Midfield, Opera Paris and Trial Mountain are a few that immediately come to mind. If you have a car in a field that is actually competitive then there will be places where you are faster and places where the AI is faster. Often you will be faster because you are taking the better line.

JTSnooks
5) As soon as the AunI hit your back bumper you'd fail the license test
Why?
 
Moloch_horridus
There are numerous examples where this is not true - El Capitan, Midfield, Opera Paris and Trial Mountain are a few that immediately come to mind. If you have a car in a field that is actually competitive then there will be places where you are faster and places where the AI is faster. Often you will be faster because you are taking the better line.


Why?
why?. because if a car rear ends you it shows your no pushing hard enough and the point is to push as hard as possible and be the fastest
 
icandriftbetter
why?. because if a car rear ends you it shows your no pushing hard enough and the point is to push as hard as possible and be the fastest
So if there were defensive driving license tests where the objective was to prevent a faster car from overtaking you think that it would be set up so that you also had to somehow prevent the AI from touching you?

Given the way that the game has been set up defensive driving would be more likely to be a set of missions rather than license tests so the 5 second penalty would be more likely to apply. You currently don't get penalised for being hit in the rear.
 
jdw
You guys have definitely NOT done any 200p races.

Blocking is probably the single most important technique used for 200p races.

The AI will ram you if it's closing fast from a distance, especially at the end of long straights (NY and Sarthe are top of the list).

However, if it's on your tail it will work *hard* to try to find a path around you, assuming it's faster than you of course. The AI will even back off and attempt to find a new line around you.
I was doing some +10 difficulty races the other day on autumn ring mini and cars would just push you out of the way if you block their line.
 
icandriftbetter
why?. because if a car rear ends you it shows your no pushing hard enough and the point is to push as hard as possible and be the fastest
That is "usually" true, but not always.

In real life races drivers often have to manage tire wear and fuel consumption. It is not rare for the car that leads for much of the race to loose ground due to worn tires or have to refuel during the last few laps?

The closest to this behavior that I have seen in the game is when you B-spec the Infineon Motor Sports race. Push too hard - you loose to over-pitting (and slight spinning out when the tires get worn), go too slow - you loose. Quite a fine balance.
 
It seems the people who oppose this idea usually pick cars faster/equal than/to the AI and have no need to be defensive once in first place.

This is a great idea for GT5 if the AI wisens up; some of the best races I've had were where I late-braked on the last corner and held off the AI -- who didn't seem to see me in their way -- untill the finish line.
 
Jerm
It seems the people who oppose this idea usually pick cars faster/equal than/to the AI and have no need to be defensive once in first place.

This is a great idea for GT5 if the AI wisens up; some of the best races I've had were where I late-braked on the last corner and held off the AI -- who didn't seem to see me in their way -- untill the finish line.

I so wish that GT4 had AI that matched their cars tuning specs with yours. (same or equivalent parts installed) Because it bores me to death driving slow cars in this game, and it bores me having a 5 lap time trials during races when I drive a fast car that is fun to drive.
 
What I meant by failing the license test is because the way the license tests are set up is if you hit anything or leave the track you fail. It was intended to be somewhat of a joke :)

As for taking the best line, I realize the AI doesn't always take the fastest line depending on your driving style, but usually the lines aren't far enough off that they can sneak around you without actually attempting to pass. I guess it is true that at some points on some tracks the AI is a lot faster than you, and I have blocked them on a straightaway a few times, but usually I just keep them out of my draft and then outbrake them going into the first corner and easily overtake them again. The AI always brakes way too early, and if my car's good enough to work my way up to first my lead will usually keep getting bigger throughout the race. The only time I can remember losing a race after being in first was when I tried to go an extra lap on red tires rear tires in the F1 car and spun out any time I did anything. The problem with blocking in GT4 is the AI just rearends you rather than backing off (at least that's been my experience) and in general in real life you don't want to hit the car in front of you.
 
Fair enough. Still, knowing when and where you will be smacked in the rear, and how to avoid or deal with it, and when and where you can safely block, is a big part of the game (particularly when going for max a-spec points) and often legitimate (as in example above with worn tyres - I watched a rl Aussie Supercar race last weekend where exactly that was happening).

Definitely worthy of some missions as it can be damned hard - try blocking a 300SL on the Nurburgring straight in a Karmann Ghia.
 
well it would be fun to have some defensive tests so u know what to do and what not to do when ur racin someone that could be faster than u
 
JTSnooks
5) As soon as the AunI hit your back bumper you'd fail the license test

Yup, they're damn un-I indeed.

I've actually changed my mind, I do think they'd be a good idea, and I find myself blocking a lot when I'm driving a slower car or am on the last few plies of my overheated tires. But with the current AI, I don't think it'd work, unless specifically set-up so that you're merely a bit slower than the computer car. If you were a lot slower, he'd still end up punting you off.

It would have to be set-up so that you finished within xxx time (so you don't deliberately brake-block him on the straights) while staying in front of a car that could finish maybe five or six seconds quicker.
 
jdw
You guys have definitely NOT done any 200p races.

Blocking is probably the single most important technique used for 200p races.

The AI will ram you if it's closing fast from a distance, especially at the end of long straights (NY and Sarthe are top of the list).

However, if it's on your tail it will work *hard* to try to find a path around you, assuming it's faster than you of course. The AI will even back off and attempt to find a new line around you.
The way I look at it, in real racing I wouldn't block a much faster car and get bumped forward so I don't do it in the game. If I can't beat the AI in a 200pt race driving clean, I don't win the race.
 
yay 4 nate!
ditto, i dont block too much.

there is a kind of defensive driving course in the game.... rally. if you hit something you get penalised, if something hit you cause you were stoopid you get penalised... great stuff if you ask me :)
 
Nate14Gt
The way I look at it, in real racing I wouldn't block a much faster car and get bumped forward so I don't do it in the game. If I can't beat the AI in a 200pt race driving clean, I don't win the race.


In a real race you WOULD block. Racers do it consistently. That's what slow-in/fast-out is all about... controlling the line. Now, of course there's a limit. There's a difference between "clean" blocking and "WTF are you doing?" blocking. And there are officials who can flag you to get the hell out of the way.


I respect the desire to race clean. I strive to do it in every race I enter. Minimize cheap tactics whenever possible.

Getting the lead ASAP and blocking is essential in most 200p races but it's usually no more than you'd see in a real race. However, there are certain 200p races where if you do not aggressively block... (sometimes 2 or 3 cars at the same time!) you WILL LOSE.

So, when a few of us set upon the task to break 100,000p and then see where the envelope stops... obviously there were times where "unsavory" tactics were adopted because without them it just was not possible.

Good thing is that I can count on mmm... maybe 1 hand (maybe a couple extra) races that required ugly tactics. Helped minimize the guilt ya know :sly:

By far, the winner for most "unsavory" tactic was when ANK would force the lead car past the pits in Nurb 1000 miles :lol:

I was on the floor with that one. :D
 
Back