Why b-spec is flawed...

  • Thread starter Thread starter KlosterKatten
  • 20 comments
  • 1,904 views
Messages
82
Messages
KlosterKatten
Why might you ask?

My driver had a ZR1 Race modified Corvette, it could do 350km/h and easily pass the opposition on daytona, the lvl 23 event. But in the corners he breaks down to 200km/h, easily being passed again. Or the AI just drives right into his ass.

On suzuka he breaks on the oddest of places, where he dosent even need to. Which ruins the race.

Passing is awful aswell, he insists on braking 1 sometimes 2 or 3 times before -trying- to respond to my passing on the one in front, despite being faster in a straight.

Driving on rails, is something ive noticed, the ai follows the EXACT driving line that you can turn on in the options before you race yourself. No matter if this line includes driving straight past the sand, like on the downhill S-bend on Laguna seca, or breaking at the most bizarre places where the AI goes 50-60km/h quicker.

And last but the worst, the cornering, both my drivers absolutley suck at cornering, no matter what car, what track or if its my lvl 15 or lvl 22, they are piss poor at cornering, making the AI leave you in the dust every time in Extreme events.

Anyone else experienced my frustation? Im seriously considering putting GT5 on the shelf until these flaws are fixed.

Edit; Lets not forget the career bar moves way to quickly, and even when you race another driver.
 
I don't know if its my driver's skills but whenever I hand him a RWD he seems to slip way too many times. However he's usually aggressive he overtakes everyone really quick and doesn't let them catch up.
 
tdk
I don't know if its my driver's skills but whenever I hand him a RWD he seems to slip way too many times. However he's usually aggressive he overtakes everyone really quick and doesn't let them catch up.

Thats also something silly, if hes behind a car or two he drives like ****e, and as soon as hes infront he drives like a god, with the same pace as before he goes from superslow to 3-4 seconds a lap faster. Problem is, he never gets infront anymore.
 
Try to keep the needle (mood) EXACTLY in the middle. I bet you re pushing him too hard.

ONLY use the overtake command when there is a blatent oppertunity, not when you'd overtake in A-spec.

I have found it to be frustrating at times but you just have to realise B-Spec is going to take as much patience (if not more!) than A-spec and it isn't the cash cow everyone seems to think it is.

The chances are it never will be (consistantly) if you consider the fact drivers retire.
 
I think that speed bar determines the cornering speed. If i put higher lvl AI driver to a six lap daytona event with a veyron, he wins, something lower lvl AI doesn't, because it brakes in bends too much. But only on daytona, if they race on high-speed ring or nurburgring, they always race good and win without a problem.

I also noticed that the first lap is the worst, as if AI would learn corners and in later laps doesn't slide off track.
 
I think that speed bar determines the cornering speed. If i put higher lvl AI driver to a six lap daytona event with a veyron, he wins, something lower lvl AI doesn't, because it brakes in bends too much. But only on daytona, if they race on high-speed ring or nurburgring, they always race good and win without a problem.

I also noticed that the first lap is the worst, as if AI would learn corners and in later laps doesn't slide off track.

Havent experienced this at all, breaking has been the same for the past 20 levels, rubbish, as for daytona with veyron, mine keeps breaking before the corner still..
 
Havent experienced this at all, breaking has been the same for the past 20 levels, rubbish, as for daytona with veyron, mine keeps breaking before the corner still..

same here - dosnt matter which car i give him he still brakes on daytona
 
Usually I still need to give my b-spec drivers a pretty overpowered car to beat the AI, but my level 10 driver (total b-spec level is 12) pretty much never makes any mistakes anymore no matter the car, and whether or not his cool/hot meter is all the way in the red.

He just finished up the third and final Supercar Festival (pro event, level 11) race while I'm writing this. He couldn't manage to finish better than midfield on any of the three races (he actually only finished 10th on Daytona) when I put him in an 835 bhp Audi R8 V10 earlier, but he walked all over the competition in all three races just now, in the 642 bhp stealth McLaren F1, without any driver commands from me.

He passes the other AI drivers cleanly at the beginning of the race, even in the tight corners on Nürburgring GP, and while I haven't been looking at the TV most of the time, if earlier experience is anything to go by I doubt he ever lost the tiniest bit of control around a corner during these races.

As for the AI being "on rails", I watch the first minute of the Nürburgring race and I actually marveled at the AI behaviour - both how aware they all seemed to be of each other, and how they fought for those initial positions, but with very little physical car to car contact.
 
Usually I still need to give my b-spec drivers a pretty overpowered car to beat the AI, but my level 10 driver (total b-spec level is 12) pretty much never makes any mistakes anymore no matter the car, and whether or not his cool/hot meter is all the way in the red.

He just finished up the third and final Supercar Festival (pro event, level 11) race while I'm writing this. He couldn't manage to finish better than midfield on any of the three races (he actually only finished 10th on Daytona) when I put him in an 835 bhp Audi R8 V10 earlier, but he walked all over the competition in all three races just now, in the 642 bhp stealth McLaren F1, without any driver commands from me.

He passes the other AI drivers cleanly at the beginning of the race, even in the tight corners on Nürburgring GP, and while I haven't been looking at the TV most of the time, if earlier experience is anything to go by I doubt he ever lost the tiniest bit of control around a corner during these races.

As for the AI being "on rails", I watch the first minute of the Nürburgring race and I actually marveled at the AI behaviour - both how aware they all seemed to be of each other, and how they fought for those initial positions, but with very little physical car to car contact.

That is the problem really, you should have to have a car 3-400 BHP higher than the opposition to make up for the ****** cornering your driver does.

As for nürburgring, agreed, they race well there, its later tracks like daytona, suzuka and laguna that the drive acts like an idiot.
 
Thats also something silly, if hes behind a car or two he drives like ****e, and as soon as hes infront he drives like a god, with the same pace as before he goes from superslow to 3-4 seconds a lap faster. Problem is, he never gets infront anymore.

they wanted to give the driver a real life feeling so if hes behind hes stressed because hes not winning and when hes in first place hes happy and cool
 
they wanted to give the driver a real life feeling so if hes behind hes stressed because hes not winning and when hes in first place hes happy and cool

While its a nice idea, its not very well implemented at all.
 
I was hoping when B-Spec was announced that we would actually be teaching the AI, like we would demonstrate racing lines
and the AI would try its best to repeat what we do.
Many games have some sort of Adaptive AI right? Shame they only had 2 people working on AI in GT5.
 
My B-Spec Bob absolutely sucks donkey nuts in traffic.
I have one driver at level 8 and another at level 7.
I just sent the level 8 guy out to run a race.
It was against Audi A4s, BMW 330s, and the like.
He was in a freaking Ferrari race car with 700hp!
It took him 4 laps to finally get into first. And he was all over the place, hanging the back end out, almost losing it, not taking advantage of passing opportunities even when I told him to overtake.
Once he finally got into the lead, it was a completely different scene.
He was driving like Ayrton Senna and at the end of the 10 lap race he was 30 seconds in front of P2!
 
While its a nice idea, its not very well implemented at all.

Except for the fact that most of the time you need an overpowered car to win, it's not poorly implemented.

Besides, needing an overpowered car to win isn't all that unrealistic either. More unrealistic is expecting to win every race. In real life, the odds of winning aren't so hot unless you're way more skilled than the competition. So mediocre AI will have low chances of winning, unless it's up against utterly brain-dead AI.
 
they wanted to give the driver a real life feeling so if hes behind hes stressed because hes not winning and when hes in first place hes happy and cool

sounds like kimi raikkonen
 
Except for the fact that most of the time you need an overpowered car to win, it's not poorly implemented.

Besides, needing an overpowered car to win isn't all that unrealistic either. More unrealistic is expecting to win every race. In real life, the odds of winning aren't so hot unless you're way more skilled than the competition. So mediocre AI will have low chances of winning, unless it's up against utterly brain-dead AI.

This wasnt my original statement though, the issue was using a 300-400BHP+ more powerful car than the best opponent car and still end up in 4 or 5th cause the driver is a monkey.
 
I can't figure out B-spec... Do I really have to just sit there and watch a race? All I can do is tell him to pass or go faster? Is there way to speed up how fast time elapses? You could go up to 3x in GT4.
 
I can't figure out B-spec... Do I really have to just sit there and watch a race? All I can do is tell him to pass or go faster? Is there way to speed up how fast time elapses? You could go up to 3x in GT4.

once you're in front you can pretty much just leave it, and no, no time lapse :grumpy:
 
You don't have to sit there - you can go and do something else instead. I like to sit here at my computer and posting on this forum while my b-spec driver races on the TV across the living room for instance :).

Once they have a few levels under the belt and a sufficiently overpowered car, they can usually win on their own without any commands from you, even at the start of a race.
 
Unless you give him a overpowered car, you will have to st there and babysit him. Once he got a slight lead and in the blue, he slows down and let other cars catch up.
 
You should see B-Spec Drivers on Cote d'Azur...
 
Back