Why buttons for reverse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jonathansp
  • 29 comments
  • 2,213 views
Messages
253
Wales
Cardiff/Wales/UK
Messages
jon-o
Since i bought my wheel, I've been wondering why there is no way of shifting down below neutral to reverse. It feels strange holding a button on the wheel to accelerate. It's a simulator so I would have thought there would be a reverse gear. What do you think?
 
Cars with sequential transmissions usually have buttons for reverse.. so that when you go on red light stop, you wont go into reverse by accident ;) ..
 
well that's a lame excuse. if you drive a car long enough you know knot to do that.
 
When you enable the clutch(hitting the triangle button on the steering wheel) you have to shift down into reverse, well on the G25 you do, no other way to get to reverse gear.
 
well that's a lame excuse. if you drive a car long enough you know knot to do that.

I have seen people engage reverse while waiting at robots and they weren't kids who just got their license.
 
If you use the H-Shifter (no clutch required, but clutch is optional), it is just like some real cars. Push down the gear lever and push it right and towards you (to the right of 6th gear). There you will have reverse.

Edit: To make it clearer, push the shifter vertically down, then move to reverse position as illustrated by this pic:
1s2000_shift_knob_6spd_anodised_black-med.jpg
 
Last edited:
Cars with sequential transmissions usually have buttons for reverse.. so that when you go on red light stop, you wont go into reverse by accident ;) ..

I'm pretty sure you don't have to hold the reverse button down while reversing in a real car though. Holding the button down and trying to turn the car back in the right direction is too annoying. I'd much rather be able to shift into reverse with my stick, but I'd still be happy with just pressing triangle.
 
I'm pretty sure you don't have to hold the reverse button down while reversing in a real car though.

You're right, the button selects reverse and you use the throttle.
 
^^ I think we have a feature request here :)
 
I'm pretty sure you don't have to hold the reverse button down while reversing in a real car though. Holding the button down and trying to turn the car back in the right direction is too annoying. I'd much rather be able to shift into reverse with my stick, but I'd still be happy with just pressing triangle.

Yup, you don't have to hold the button, just push it in and throttle to reverse.
 
Even so, I have a reasonable solution (and i mean no offence by this), don't put yourself in a circumstance where you need reverse.

I think this would be nitpicking even if there was no way around using a button (although it seems there is).
 
So there's only one way to play the game, and that's to maintain a steady line in pace with AI traffic, well within the limits of both your available traction and driving skill? Any other playing style is wrong?
 
Even so, I have a reasonable solution (and i mean no offence by this), don't put yourself in a circumstance where you need reverse.

Okey doke. I'll drive each race at a slow, steady pace, which will eliminate just about any chance of making a mistake. I'll also let all my competitors pass me at the start of the race, just so we don't get into any incidents.
 
Okey doke. I'll drive each race at a slow, steady pace, which will eliminate just about any chance of making a mistake. I'll also let all my competitors pass me at the start of the race, just so we don't get into any incidents.


Then you will get punted by catching out a competitor for going so slow and need reverse anyway.
 
Even so, I have a reasonable solution (and i mean no offence by this), don't put yourself in a circumstance where you need reverse.
No offence, but in no way is that a solution because you have only limited control of getting in that situation. A real solution would be be a real reverse switch. E.g. put it in reverse, use the throttle to move the car, put it back in 1 and go. Just like a real car.

But you're absolutely right that the extra effort it takes is negligable if you are forced to reverse, your lap/race is screwed at that point anyway. ;) Besides, all you have to do is press a different button, it's weird and not like it's done in a real car, but I doubt it will make a significant (if any) difference at all where laptime is concerned. Actually, now that I think of it, this single-button solution may be faster, since it requires only one button press. :p
 
Even so, I have a reasonable solution (and i mean no offence by this), don't put yourself in a circumstance where you need reverse.

I think this would be nitpicking even if there was no way around using a button (although it seems there is).

But maaa, I likes to do fancy driving like 180 spins in Free Run, I needz reverse.:sly:
 
lol Holden spd, fancy driving eh?:lol: What about drifting, using reverse is a practicality of Drifting where spin-outs are far more common. Anyway if anything needs correcting here, the only rule to follow is complete realism.:D
 
Simple solution to your problem.....go buy a G25 and use the H-shifter.
 
No offence, but in no way is that a solution because you have only limited control of getting in that situation. A real solution would be be a real reverse switch. E.g. put it in reverse, use the throttle to move the car, put it back in 1 and go. Just like a real car.

But you're absolutely right that the extra effort it takes is negligable if you are forced to reverse, your lap/race is screwed at that point anyway. ;) Besides, all you have to do is press a different button, it's weird and not like it's done in a real car, but I doubt it will make a significant (if any) difference at all where laptime is concerned. Actually, now that I think of it, this single-button solution may be faster, since it requires only one button press. :p

Thats what I mean, if you're not being silly, by the time you actually need it, you have already lost significant ground. If you find yourself needing it so much there is a problem, I think there's something else up.
 
Bottom line - it's a toy. We're playing a game.
Reverse has to fit on one of the buttons on the PS3 controller. It's the same button on the wheel. You use the forward gears 99.999% of the time, so they get priority on the accessories.
 
Bottom line - it's a toy. We're playing a game.
Reverse has to fit on one of the buttons on the PS3 controller. It's the same button on the wheel. You use the forward gears 99.999% of the time, so they get priority on the accessories.

That is so true. Alltho it is a nice debate, because real cars have reverse button, but you don't hold it in... But yeh, it's a game, I like the way it is.. I remeber playing OTHER racing games, both sims and arcade.. and reverse was made by gear down, Sometimes it was annoying when i accidentally switch to N (nuteral) and then R (reverse) when all I wanted is first gear to take a sharp turn.
 
Bottom line - it's a toy. We're playing a game.
Reverse has to fit on one of the buttons on the PS3 controller. It's the same button on the wheel. You use the forward gears 99.999% of the time, so they get priority on the accessories.
Not buying it. Assigning reverse to a gear "below" neutral, as many games do and as OP asks, would eliminate the need for an extra button to begin with. Allowing the player the option to do that or assign a button to reverse would both solve the problem and prevent others from complaining about OP's desired setup. It would also be extremely simple to do (look at how many games offer the choice between OP's method and the "brake reverse" method), and prove to me for once that there actually is someone with some common sense within Polyphony Digital's walls.

Of course, I'm not holding my breath.
 
the problem is if u need to steer hard when going backwards, you cannot hold the triangle button down + steer at the same time which means your lap time will be wasted even more.

with a controller you can do maximum steering and hold the triangle button down at the same time which helps you get back on track much quicker.

all we need is a minor fix so us steering wheel users can go in N and Reverse by using the paddle shifter or the flaps.
 
That's an issue with reverse on button. I don't want to press that button. All I want is to put the reverse gear in, hold the button for looking back for better orientation and going reverse by gas like in real life.
 
That's an issue with reverse on button. I don't want to press that button. All I want is to put the reverse gear in, hold the button for looking back for better orientation and going reverse by gas like in real life.
Yes I think that is about as realistic as we could get in-game, the modification to make this possible would be achievable.
'Realism must always come first in a Simulator.'- ...me:D
 
Lol, no. I already have a G25, why would I need 2? :p ;)

No no, for mine and everyone else who doesn't have one.

Its not a simple solution for everyone for financial reasons. I don't have a wheel at all for spacial reasons, the large bed occupies most room for me.

But anyway, I still think this isn't a significant problem, yes it could easily be fixxed, yes it probably should've been shifting down as apposed to buttons, but really it's hardly a huge problem. Just something else for us all to complain about if we don't already have enough things.
 
So, in a real car you don't have to hold it to reverse? In a real car you also have a horn, lights, indicators, wipers, and so on. Does it really matter if they're not in the game? Before they change the button press they should make the reverse lights work really....
 
reverse gear, horn, lights, indicators, wipers
<song>"One of these things is not like the others..."</song>

Before they change the button press they should make the reverse lights work really....
This is a point. I guess we've been asking for it for so long that we've just given up. It's pretty amazing that it's still missing, considering the other silly details PD puts time and money into.
 
Back