Why do people complain so much about standard cars when without the car list would be so much smaller?

Austria
Austria
They seem to think that the alternative would be having far more premium car models, but in reality the number of premium cars would be the same but the difference would be that they would be the only cars in the game.

Porting over the GT4 models probably took very little development resources at all, meaning there was no sacrifice to the number of premium models.

I think having the much much larger car list made the game feel so much bigger and worldly than if all we ever had were the 150 or so premium models. So PD were right to port them into the game in my opinion.

They seem to think that the alternative would be having far more premium car models, but in reality the number of premium cars would be the same but the difference would be that they would be the only cars in the game.

Porting over the GT4 models probably took very little development resources at all, meaning there was no sacrifice to the number of premium models.

I think having the much much larger car list made the game feel so much bigger and worldly than if all we ever had were the 150 or so premium models. So PD were right to port them into the game in my opinion.
Who's complaining? Are there still some embers left over from the Great Standard Car Debate of 2010-2018? :D

The argument against Standard cars was mainly that they were out of place in a high definition, high fidelity world of 500,000-poly shiny, Premium masterpieces with accurate, functional interiors; a chunky Daihatsu Mira from GT3 could be seen as a blemish on what was, at the time, the prettiest car game in the world.

The argument for Standard cars were that they looked fine enough when only covering 10% of the screen area, and more importantly, allowed GT5 to still offer a vast selection of cars.

In hindsight, keeping the Standard cars was necessary to the success of Gran Turismo 5 and 6. The "burn it to the ground" strategy of Gran Turismo Sport highlighted just how important the library of legacy content was to the franchise's identity, and how heavily GT4's assets were being leaned on for 11 years.

Rebuilding every car and track to be perfect and future-proof™ is a very slow process, we'll never see all 800+ cars lost since GT6 in the same game again. What we will see, hopefully, is that the library of Premium models that's been slowly growing for over 15 years, will keep growing for 15 more and beyond. It's unfortunate that no Premium Mazda MX-5 NB has been seen from 2007 to 2022, but one day we'll get there.

images

Who's complaining? Are there still some embers left over from the Great Standard Car Debate of 2010-2018? :D

The argument against Standard cars was mainly that they were out of place in a high definition, high fidelity world of 500,000-poly shiny, Premium masterpieces with accurate, functional interiors; a chunky Daihatsu Mira from GT3 could be seen as a blemish on what was, at the time, the prettiest car game in the world.

The argument for Standard cars were that they looked fine enough when only covering 10% of the screen area, and more importantly, allowed GT5 to still offer a vast selection of cars.

In hindsight, keeping the Standard cars was necessary to the success of Gran Turismo 5 and 6. The "burn it to the ground" strategy of Gran Turismo Sport highlighted just how important the library of legacy content was to the franchise's identity, and how heavily GT4's assets were being leaned on for 11 years.

Rebuilding every car and track to be perfect and future-proof™ is a very slow process, we'll never see all 800+ cars lost since GT6 in the same game again. What we will see, hopefully, is that the library of Premium models that's been slowly growing for over 15 years, will keep growing for 15 more and beyond. It's unfortunate that no Premium Mazda MX-5 NB has been seen from 2007 to 2022, but one day we'll get there.

images
I started playing GT5 again after getting bored of GT7 (which was only a couple of months after release) and whenever looking online about the game there are always complaints about standard cars.

In my playthrough I never had never had a problem racing against AI using standard cars, I never felt like they stood-out that much at all. I preferred to drive premium cars myself but did use quite a few standard cars throughout the campaign.

How exactly are GT Sport/GT7 cars and tracks "future proof"? Just because they look perfect by todays standards? Or is there supposedly some mechanism that will enable them to be continually updated and enhanced? Even if it is the latter I am rather sceptical that they would look as nearly a good as cars/tracks built from scratch in GT9 (assuming GT8 will be built on the same base as GT7).

How exactly are GT Sport/GT7 cars and tracks "future proof"? Just because they look perfect by todays standards? Or is there supposedly some mechanism that will enable them to be continually updated and enhanced? Even if it is the latter I am rather sceptical that they would look as nearly a good as cars/tracks built from scratch in GT9 (assuming GT8 will be built on the same base as GT7).
I put the trademark symbol on "future-proof" as a joke; in graphics, pretty much nothing is future-proof, but GT's current "Premium" car models make a fairly good case.
Take the Copen, F430 or RX-7 Spirit R for example: these cars were thoroughly modelled in as high a quality as possible (photomode LOD) for GT5 Prologue. 16 years later, mostly the same geometry is used with some new PBR shaders, because the cars are near-exact representations of the real deal (except for the undercarriage).

The latest models certainly look better, as PD has gained experience with optimising the medium-quality in-race models, so the 2022-modelled Merak looks great in gameplay, while the 2010-modelled Murciélago has (in gameplay) an extremely detailed rear end and a small jpeg on a box for an engine as it did in GT5.

By the time of GT9, hopefully we'll be able to run the cars in GT7 Café cutscene quality, but in 120, not 24fps.

I started playing GT5 again after getting bored of GT7 (which was only a couple of months after release) and whenever looking online about the game there are always complaints about standard cars.

In my playthrough I never had never had a problem racing against AI using standard cars, I never felt like they stood-out that much at all. I preferred to drive premium cars myself but did use quite a few standard cars throughout the campaign.

if you like gt5, you can find community to race online again.. it's great experience.. unfortunately I don't have conditions to play it atm but won't forget when I managed to race online again after so many years.. btw I never mind standart cars.. Most of my favorite cars were standard ones anyways.. except Lancia, Ferrari and Maserati

I'm not a big fan of the standard cars, however, it did make Shuffle racing a lot better than it would otherwise have been, so all in all I'm glad they were included.

Back