Why do you drive?

• Thread starter milefile
  • 21 comments
Ah yes. The age old question... the meaning of driving.

I know obsessive PS gamers who hate GT. They get all stressed and mad because they aren't great the first time they play. It's a far cry from meandering around "worlds" looking for stuff you might use later to kill a charismatic monster you had to meander around and look for. They say they play video games to relax and GT isn't relaxing :rolleyes:

I practically can't sleep if I haven't done a race series that day. I drive because I love feeling how the different cars behave on differen't tracks, always trying to improve my technique and cornering, and always trying to learn how to tune my cars, and lately, trying to master manual tansmission.

There are countless subtleties and nuances in cars and tracks that one may never, ever exhaust. People wonder how I can not be bored with a video game yet... I enjoy it more and more all the time. There is always something new about the game (this board pointing many of them out). I have recenty begun to regard GT as a "hobby".

So why do you drive?

Car are becoming part of my life, and this is what i can do at this time. I plan to do lots of track driving when i get my car in the near future.

cuz it is a good way to past time. It is also educational if you take the time to read the info about each car ;)
-My parents look at me like I'm crazy for wasting my time :rolleyes: , but I will be on my own at Purdue in a week!!! :D 😈
-My best friends go off together and do stuff and aren't inviting me....they have this relationship thing going or something :odd: :barf:
Can you say H.O.M.O. Patrol :lol:

-Anyway, IT IS JUST FUN!!!!!! :P
I HAVE JUST GOTTEN INTO HYBRIDS, BUT I'M KEEPING IT NORMAL
RIGHT NOW I'M SWAP A SILVIA ENGINE INTO A 240SX

Why do I drive (games)?

Because driving at 100mph is expensive and dangerous in real-life! And there's no chance of keeping up with racing cars in my Honda CR-V. Oh, and I'm not the best mechanic, either. The roads in South Florida are flat, straight, congested, and it's a miracle to drive for more than a mile without a stoplight or an accident. At least that GT-One driver doesn't have a cellphone in his ear!

Why in real-life?

Relaxing to get out of the area and actually take corners that were forced by natural phenomena rather than a stoplight (or construction). Few cars around, REAL open roads (Florida is either overcrowded or virtually uninhabited), fresh air (windows down unless raining), and a chance to crank up the stereo. Pretty outside, no blocky apartment bulidings and radio towers, no fear of red-light runners, etc. Cheaper gas, too.

Oh, and tackling corners of various radii is a blast!

Because it's fun and I can't leagaly drive yet. And I go through game phases; before GT2 I played Destruction Derby 2 for ages, and now I'm playing Driver (yes, the first one) a lot more than before.
Plus you can't drive the Espace F1 to the shops and back

You mean like so you can feel the G's, inertia, gravity?

I think it'll be better when you really drive is because you'll understand first hand the physics of driving. It gives you a better appreciation for the engineering that goes into these cars. It's ****ing amazing :eek:

I have Jeep Grand Cherokee but I drive a '91 Sentra w/ 130,000 miles on it to work every day. That'll give you an appreciation for the best cars in the world.

Ah but someday when I'm rich I'll have my GT40 or Skyline.

Back