Why do you prefer GT Sport over other Racing Games

• Thread starter PirovacBoy
  • 23 comments
Germany
Cologne/Germany
PirovacBoy
Good evening People.
I was just thinking about Gt Sport in Comparison to other Racing Games on Playstation.
As a Guy who really grew up with GT Games since GT 1, I just started to think about the Reasons why or what makes us prefer GT Games to other Racing Games.
Is it just the habit that GT Games give us ?! I mean, I look at GT and immediately get that familiar Feeling of Top Notch Graphics paired with excellent Driving Experience and enjoyable Immersive Feelings.
I just recently started to play Project Cars 2 and I get the impression that I fell in a bad habit by focusing on GT Sport for too long.
To me GT Games always have been kind of Collecting Cars Tuning them and taking them out to experience what they drive like.
I always loved the imagination to think that I’m actually getting a replication of driving that Car.
For me personally, it’s all about the immersion.
Everything has to come together to give me the perfect Sensation.
And GT never disappointed. It always delivered.
But like I mentioned before, Project Cars changed my mind.
It gives me a much more immersed impression to actually sit behind a Wheel driving a Car.
I still enjoy GT and definitely will continue to play GT Games.
To me, I just can’t imagine PS without a proper GT Game.
But with the introduction of Sport Mode, a lot has changed.
GT became a Competitive Racing Game which rewards dedication more than anything.
I get the feeling from my point of view that it hugely rewards the dedicated Players.
It’s all about practice, rinse and repeat.
Try anything to become faster.
The Immersion comes second, which always was my first Goal.
I never cared about to become faster or more Competitive.
I just enjoy the ride.
Don’t get me wrong, I get a huge enjoyment of competing against other drivers too, but to me it’s all about fighting it out in a fair and respectful manner.
And that’s something GT just dissapoints recently.
But anyway like I said, I’d like to know what the Reasons are that make YOU enjoy GT Games?!

Watching the replays since 1997.

With the Forza series, I don’t watch replays as much. The racing experience have always been pretty good. Better than what the replays look like.
PC1-3 have nice replay angles, but on a base PS3, are not as high quality as GTS and AC1(the vehicle movements are like watching real life racing).
AC1 have the best static camera of the games I play. It’s my favourite view to watch replays, but the replay length depends on grid size(the least amount of cars on the grid, the longer the replay).
ACC have good replays, but there’s no static camera.

As bad as the AI is in GTS and the internet flickering of cars in Sport Mode, GT brings me back for the replays. That’s pretty much it.

I'm only in it for the e-sport side of it, and GT is a simpler and cheaper alternative to iRacing, with a huge player base and good match making. (Simple is good.)
I got PS5 and a good gaming PC too, but only care for GT.
Good Point, Hugo:cheers:

Watching the replays since 1997.

With the Forza series, I don’t watch replays as much. The racing experience have always been pretty good. Better than what the replays look like.
PC1-3 have nice replay angles, but on a base PS3, are not as high quality as GTS and AC1(the vehicle movements are like watching real life racing).
AC1 have the best static camera of the games I play. It’s my favourite view to watch replays, but the replay length depends on grid size(the least amount of cars on the grid, the longer the replay).
ACC have good replays, but there’s no static camera.

As bad as the AI is in GTS and the internet flickering of cars in Sport Mode, GT brings me back for the replays. That’s pretty much it.
Yes omg, the replays, I remember me having a thrilling race and afterwards watching it in all its glory and intensity, priceless.
Very good Point :cheers:

The standardized schedule for racing (GT Sport). There's always people online to race and a race always starts at exactly :03 :13 :23 :33 :43 and :53 6 races every hour (actually 8), always plenty people to race.

Jump in any time basically, no need to wait, just show up when the race starts.

Plus this

And this

And this

And this

GT Sport has the best version of the Nordschleife hands down!

And also a bit of this, on the mini Nordschleife

Pretty simple for most people who still play it I think. It does online the best out of any console game. It may not be perfect but on PS4, good luck getting any decent online lobbies in the PC-ported sims in 2021.

Same was true back when the game came out, it still does multiplayer the best out of all of its contemporaries, without needing to buy a PC and drop a monthly subscription, while also having to buy every car in the service individually. Wonder which sim that is.

I mean you could consider PS Plus a subscription if you're only using it for Sport but it's safe to assume most people are using that for their Call of Duties and Battlefields as well.

On the same boat as many above, when I decided to get into racing games in late 2019 by buying a used T150 and a discounted Playseat Challenge, I tried many games out and GTS was the most enjoyable online experience by far!

So I decided to stick to it despite having better driving sensations (through FFB and camera movements) in other games, just because I'm an online gamer when it comes to competition. I never felt any joy or anything beating an AI opponent...

Ps: I remember in the first few months, I was scared of joining an FIA championship because I knew there was pitstops (and strategy in general) involved and I thought I wasn't ready for this kind of stuff. I was also sticking to Daily Race A because I didn't have enough cash to buy sport cars.
I felt kind of stupid when i later discovered how pit entries work in this game :lol:

Last edited:
I play Gran Turismo because I've never had anything more than a rotting potato for a PC and can't even dream of running anything on it at anything more than 144p 2 seconds per frame. Also, the PC Master Race is expensive and technical, and I'm a poor idiot.

That said, I do love the classy presentation of GT menus. I used to spend hours just sitting in dealerships reading about the cars. I love the attention to detail PD puts in the road cars of Gran Turismo. This focus I feel is unmatched in its genre aside from Forza, which has some car models you can count the polygons of.

Even in GT Sport where they eschewed the focus on road cars, they found a new niche in online racing as others have already stated. It's far from perfect, but it strikes a sweet spot between accessibility and seriousness with its emphasis on clean racing, fixed setups, and frequent daily races. I've read many comments on SuperGT's videos saying how they bought the game because of his GTS videos. On the other hand, I see the FM races and I'm convinced I want no part of it whatsoever.

So apparently the responses I’ve received actually Match what I’ve been expecting.
GTS main Focus on easy online matchmaking Accessibility seems to be the Main Reason People enjoy or prefer GTS over other Racing Games on PS.
And as much as I agree that it’s quite an argument, I’d still say that it’s a bit of a pity that the Focus has shifted.
But that’s probably just me.
Like I mentioned in my opening Words of this thread, GT Games always were sort of an immersive Driving Simulator to me, and as such I still treat it like that.
But that’s something I do with any Racing SIM out there.
It’s kind of hard for me to accommodate to this change.
I love the idea of competitive Online Racing but it has to improve.
It shouldn’t be about quantity, but quality.
I really really hope that PD, has worked on that Aspect.
I rather enjoy fair Racing than anything.
I don’t care about Ratings and Stuff.
From my experience over the past 4 years, People seem to care too much about their ratings and are mostly willing to forget the Fun and enjoyment it should provide in first place.
But probably that’s just the side effect or the Price we pay when playing Competitive Online Racing Games.
I came very late to the Online Gaming Party. I just started with GTS on PS4 in 2017. I never had a Computer so this whole Online Aspect was new to me.
I still remember my first Online Races back in 2017 and the thrill they gave me.
My Legs were shaking, Sweaty Palms and a Heartbeat similar to some Techno Festivals I’ve been to in my early Days like @GR33N mentioned.
That Adrenaline Rush was Priceless.
Than in 2018, I made the switch and upgraded to a Wheel and later to a Wheel Playseat Setup which I still use.
To me it always was about having Fun.
Driving against others and fighting it out in a fair Manner.
Daily Races actually were Daily Races with Daily changes.
The Driving Standards were way better than nowadays.
The Penalty System was on Top, not that it was perfect by any means but it was definitely more refined than what it is nowadays.
To sum it up, online accessibility,easy to use Controls, Graphics and a huge Online Player Base seem to be the biggest arguments for GTS.
Aspects like Immersion, Driving Standards and Driving Physics come Second.
Well, i‘m ok with that. I just hope for a better Penalty System for the next GT Game, that’s honestly all I care about…:)

I started racing online in GT5. There you had to play regularly since the only way to get fair races was to get to know the people you race with. So I had a bunch of regular lobbies I always joined. But close finishes were rare just due to the random nature of meeting up and most of the time it was just shuffle racing to try to keep it a level playing field.

Then GT6 came and pretty much split the group of regulars I used to race with in half. I never really got into the online lobby culture again in GT6. Too much work building up a list of regulars again and bending my schedule around or not race at all.

So yep, GT Sport was amazing with its regular schedule, fun unpredictable daily combos, decent matchmaking and a working penalty system. Now we just have the regular schedule left :/

A couple faults GT Sport made:

- Trophies for pole positions and victories
A lot of people do care about these, start sandbagging their ratings to increase their odds, then get addicted to the victories and never stop sandbagging. Which is also a fault in matchmaking, far too easy to manipulate your ratings.

- No separation between FIA and daily races
This one of the reasons for the bloom in alt accounts. Make one, easier to make another and another to get that thrill of quick progress again. It should be a lot harder to make alt accounts and not be a way to get easier races.

- Too little reward for sportmanship
50% clean race bonus for a paltry amount of credits to begin with, why bother! The payout should increase by SR. FL should not count with penalties. Victories should be ear marked as clean or achieved with penalties / red SR. Clean position changes should be rewarded.

The biggest problem GT Sport has is that it rewards dirty driving and sandbagging. Too much value is put on winning at all costs. Split out the victories by DR next to whether they are clean or not. A victory in an A+/S room should not count the same as pole to flag in a D/E room.

Some suggestions for GT7 to look at. But what mostly makes Gran Turismo my favorite is that PD nailed the feeling of driving with a controller. I'm not into setting up a wheel (race while standing actually) and GT is head and shoulders above the competition when it comes to racing with a controller. Forza didn't click with me, and then the others just get worse to nearly unplayable with a controller.

Last edited:
A couple faults GT Sport made:

- Trophies for pole positions and victories
A lot of people do care about these, start sandbagging their ratings to increase their odds, then get addicted to the victories and never stop sandbagging. Which is also a fault in matchmaking, far too easy to manipulate your ratings.

- No separation between FIA and daily races
This one of the reasons for the bloom in alt accounts. Make one, easier to make another and another to get that thrill of quick progress again. It should be a lot harder to make alt accounts and not be a way to get easier races.

- Too little reward for sportmanship
50% clean race bonus for a paltry amount of credits to begin with, why bother! The payout should increase by SR. FL should not count with penalties. Victories should be ear marked as clean or achieved with penalties / red SR. Clean position changes should be rewarded.

The biggest problem GT Sport has is that it rewards dirty driving and sandbagging. Too much value is put on winning at all costs. Split out the victories by DR next to whether they are clean or not. A victory in an A+/S room should not count the same as pole to flag in a D/E room.
I generally agree and understand the points you’re making here with the faults (even though I enjoyed the trophies, a “true” Platinum should be quite difficult or time consuming IMO).

How do you mean with the final sentence I’ve marked in bold though? A victory in an A+ room is not even comparable given how much more it nets you next to a A+ picking up a half-sleeping warm up win in a DR D room. The latter nets you ~1DR per player. I’m well aware of the stupidity and massive problem where a high ranker drives dirty, goes down from 99 to 85 and picks up two, three easy warm up wins against D’s and repeats that process.

I generally agree and understand the points you’re making here with the faults (even though I enjoyed the trophies, a “true” Platinum should be quite difficult or time consuming IMO).

How do you mean with the final sentence I’ve marked in bold though? A victory in an A+ room is not even comparable given how much more it nets you next to a A+ picking up a half-sleeping warm up win in a DR D room. The latter nets you ~1DR per player. I’m well aware of the stupidity and massive problem where a high ranker drives dirty, goes down from 99 to 85 and picks up two, three easy warm up wins against D’s and repeats that process.
I mean, there is just one win count on your profile.

A consistent clean A+ driver will have far fewer victories than a dirty A+ driver getting lots of DR resets.
Splitting victories out by DR might stop some people sandbagging just to brag about overall victory count.

Also the payout should be a lot higher with higher stakes. Money/XP earned should reflect your skill level.

DR is another problem, imo DR resets should not happen at all.

Btw, platinum should indeed be difficult. But instead of tying trophies to victories and pole positions, change it to a trophy for 65 consecutive clean races in a row, 91 consecutive days in SR.S and one for 322 clean races total. Now that platinum is really earned!

Last edited:
After getting into, and eventually getting out of other sims the past 6 months, I come back to GT every time because of these reasons (in loose order)

- Graphics. It matters. This game looks absolutely gorgeous even on a base PS4. If the other console-ported titles looked 2/3’s as good as GTS on a base PS4, than ACC or PC2 on a powered up PS5, I’d spend more time on them. (Sorry for the awkward run-on sentence. It makes sense if you read it a couple times :lol:)

- accessibility. It’s equally as fun on a controller or wheel. But waaaaay better on a wheel

- online racing. Yeah, yeah…. I know something like only 10% of the players even do sport mode blah, blah, blah. But the online racing component of the game is THE ONLY reason GTS has stayed relevant for as long as it has. AND like square mentioned, it’s THE ONLY REASON many of us even found this game when Super GT's videos came across our algorithm on the YouTube’s.

- physics. They’re accessible and not exactly horrible either. Part of the reason it’s hard for me to get into other sims, is I can’t figure out if it’s the cars setup, my FFB/wheel rotation settings, or is it me. It takes me FOREVER to get into a rhythm on the other games. I have a feeling it’s a combination of all 3 reasons that keep me spinning out every other corner…. But at any rate, it’s annoying and frustrating.

- the menus and game functionality. Compared to Gran Turismo, the other games are clunky-AF. Like graphics, this to matters

- relevance. GT has the biggest following and online discussion board presence. People create and share liveries, photos, replays...anything. Need a Livery for some obscure car from one of the dark corners of your garage? Here ya' go!!!....how about 1000 of them!? You feel like you're part of something playing this game. This is arguably Gran Turismo’s best attribute and PD knows this

I think over time (through the slow trickle of already-coded FREE DLC), PD will prove that GT7 is their best effort yet. It’ll combine all of the franchise’s best attributes. They have tons of data and metrics to draw from. It’s all about market share, and they know, especially with the horsepower of the PS5, they can cover a lot of the sim market with this title if they choose to do so

Last edited:
@Yard_Sale And GT's menus are pretty bad already, can't imagine how bad it is in other sims. It took me 3 years to figure out where to change my greeting message :lol:

I'm a bit worried how big GT7 will get. GT Sport started at about 40 GB, grew to 106 GB. GT7 is slated to start at 110 GB. It better have a much improved patching system since even with GTS installed on the SSD on PS5, it still takes 25 minutes for the entire game to be copied for a patch. (And you need over 106 GB free to be able to patch)

Apologies to @PirovacBoy for the slightly off-topic thing here, I just wanted to follow up on that particular part.

As far as the OP question goes, I too, like others here, have really enjoyed the look and feel of the Gran Turismo games over many, many years. Not too get too deep into the whole physics thing (other threads exist for that) but I think they’ve struck a great point where it feels really good, all the while not being on the full sim side of things, nor arcade. It just hits that sweet spot for me. Great graphics is always a nice thing to have as well. Makes it all even more enjoyable and beautiful.

And what’s kept me in GT Sport for such a long time now (ever since the closed beta with no pause) is how nicely Sport mode is structured (not flawless and improvements can absolutely be made), it’s great. Always a good amount of players online, planned and set races with decent intervals
I mean, there is just one win count on your profile.

A consistent clean A+ driver will have far fewer victories than a dirty A+ driver getting lots of DR resets.
Splitting victories out by DR might stop some people sandbagging just to brag about overall victory count.

Also the payout should be a lot higher with higher stakes. Money/XP earned should reflect your skill level.

DR is another problem, imo DR resets should not happen at all.

Btw, platinum should indeed be difficult. But instead of tying trophies to victories and pole positions, change it to a trophy for 65 consecutive clean races in a row, 91 consecutive days in SR.S and one for 322 clean races total. Now that platinum is really earned!
Well yeah, even if it’s a nasty win it’s still a win. Can’t really have 0,2 of a win or something like that. Having payout (all XP, mileage, and credits) differ depending on skill level isn’t a bad idea at all. I always thought personally that online should pay more than offline generally but that’s a good idea. Also agree about DR resets.

I like the sound of those suggested clean trophies too, would be a nice welcome change. Something similar which I think could be absolutely fantastic is if in GT7 later on they would include leaderboards and specifically one with both consecutive clean races but also total amount of clean races. Create some competitiveness for that, not only wins, poles and FLs.

I mean you could consider PS Plus a subscription if you're only using it for Sport but it's safe to assume most people are using that for their Call of Duties and Battlefields as well.
And you get free games every month, not always interesting but... my son manages to play part of them so that's a good "investment" on top of being able to play GTS online (which I don't do a lot).

Special shout-out to the Livery Editor which is one of the most useable and flexible in any racing game I've had with this feature. The ability to manipulate in-game shapes to create unique patterns, as well as import SVGs as custom decals, opens up endless possibilities for some truly creative, plausible and spectacular-looking designs.

I may not be a professional designer, but I can be genuinely proud of most of the liveries I've created since trying out the pre-release demo. I also have to thank every decal creator on Discover and GTP for assembling a library of high-quality decals which greatly expands upon what is already available in the game.

The Editor in GT7 is shaping up to be more or less the same, but better.

Last edited:
Special shout-out to the Livery Editor which is one of the most useable and flexible in any racing game I've had with this feature. The ability to manipulate in-game shapes to create unique patterns, as well as import SVGs as custom decals, opens up endless possibilities for some truly creative, plausible and spectacular-looking designs.

I may not be a professional designer, but I can be genuinely proud of most of the liveries I've created since trying out the pre-release demo. I also have to thank every decal creator on Discover and GTP for assembling a library of high-quality decals which greatly expands upon what is already available in the game.

The Editor in GT7 is shaping up to be more or less the same, but better.
I just hope since importing Sport designs to 7 is a thing, past liveries can be opened and edited in the new game to be touched up. That’s going to be an important aspect of it to me.

GT has always been my favorite driving game, but GTS honestly has just been a jewel 💎 for me! GTS has gotten me into Motorsports heavy and that’s all thanks to the online racing! Before getting into that I would like to explain some of the other reason why I love GT/GTS

Presentation- The presentation of a GT game to me is one of the strong points. The menus, the music, navigating though the different options are always a pleasure. The way they represent the cars really gets me into the automotive virtual world. I know it’s a game but GT makes it feel more than a game, it’s like your really into the GT automotive virtual world. I have played all the racing games you can play on the console and while I have no problem with how they present themselves none of them gives me the vibe GT gives me.

Cars- GT car diversity for me at least is top notch yes it could be better, but with the different types of cars you can drive from a old civic to a pure GT3 racing machine is the best. Only Forza motorsports can compare, Ac/Pc also had that type of formula however on the console it doesn’t have a lot of cars to choose from like GT/Forza. What I also like about the cars in GT vs Forza is take a GTR R34 Vspec II 01, you can adjust the rear spoiler for more downforce as you can do in real life. Forza doesn’t let you take advantage of the cars unique performance in stock form. Only GT,AC and PC let’s you do this. GT beats those game with more cars so it’s makes the cars in GT more unique IMO.

Graphics- I mean this is pretty much a no brained GT has always been a great looking game. GTS is in another league when you are talking about console racing. It can also hold its own against those super computers running AC/ACC and Iracing. I’ll admit the people running those games at max setting GTS doesn’t look better but it’s still respectable which shows how good PD is in this department. When you combine the presentation gameplay together GTS is top notch. (I play on PS5 Samsung 65in Q80.)

Sound- I might get slayed for this but I really enjoy GTS sounds. They have improved drastically over GT6, Chassis sounds, exhaust cracking/poppin, going over grass/dirt transmission wine, Manuel shifting sounds (which sound different on each car, I have TM TH8A shifter) sound placement environment sounds etc. I’m doing a online Lambo challenge so I have been doing research on the Hurican, and watching an episode of the 5th gear which made me laugh because he said the inside sometimes sounds like a angry sewing machine, and I felt the same way. You hear it during replays or chase came and it’s sounds beautiful, but on the inside sometimes not so good lol. GTS captured that with a lot of cars. GTS is not better than ACC and AC but I can live with that, you drive the F40 in Ac you can hear the brakes squeal, The cars in ACC sound amazing I mean sounds bouncing off the walls, hearing ABS, TC engage, engine sounding mechanical as heck the whole 9. GT is going in the right direction and I hope they add those elements in GT7. I did see how Kazz said the sounds will bounce off the track environment so we just will have to see.

Driving- GT/GTS when it comes to driving just feels the most natural and that’s with both wheel ( I use TM T300) and controller. The feedback on how the cars handle through driving feels great I can feel downforce, my front tires, rear tires weight transfer, understeer, oversteer, elevation changes, track curbs, bumps. Knowing on how the car is acting throughout the lap come easy and natural in GTS. Where GT/GTS fails extremely is road surface feedback and it’s mainly during driving in a straight line. It’s pretty bad and games like ACC, AC, PC put it to shame. If GT can somehow give the user feedback when driving straight to make it feel like your driving on a track and not a smooth surface the driving experience will be in another class.

Racing- The racing in GT more so in GTS has been an amazing experience for me. I actually like doing the license test, track experience, mission test. The career mode to me is more so just a grind I just don’t really have fun with the AI and not even so because the AI in GTS is bad but after racing in leagues on GTP the AI just can never excite me. The racing in on GTP is absolutely amazing! These folks are organizing some of the most competitive, clean, friendly atmospheric racing I have ever done. I don’t care how good the AI is racing against friend will never compare. I mean we have safety cars, lap formations, penalties everything you see in motorsports these folks are mimicking. Some of them goes as far as making the same designs you see in the GT3/GT4 series and giving them to you to use during the season. Im currently in a Porsche gt3 Cup series, GT4 series and a multi class endurance series, and I will tell you guys I get really excited when race day comes on Friday or Saturday, gives me something to look forward to every week and pro longs the game for me!

In conclusion while GT might not be the most hardcore simulation I really enjoy the game because of all the different aspects of motorsports you can enjoy within the game! Can’t wait for GT7 to drop less than one month guys let’s go!!!!!

Last edited:
I adore GTS. All my other track racers have been deleted from my hard drive because none of them look, sound or play as well as GTS. It really is the complete racer for me (98% single player including a lot of custom races) and I have the most fun with it, along with Dirt 2.0, Wreckfest and F12019. GT7 looks like GTS on steroids and I’m good with that, so very much looking forward to it.

The online for me has been a blast. I live in New Zealand so the number of online players is sparse in most racers. But GTS always has plenty of people racing so that's a major plus point. It also seems like better, cleaner, racing than most other racing games (even though it's obviously not always clean). Plus the game runs smooth and doesn't go over the top with gfx/effects.

I don't rate the single-player though tbh. Chase the rabbit and slow AI doesn't make for much fun imo. I recently got GTR2 and GT Legends (from SimBin) on my PC, and the single-player is a lot better imo. Fairly decent AI, good race weekends, that sorta thing. Obviously it's an old game so it doesn't look anywhere near as good, but it doesn't look too bad once you tweak it a bit.

Last edited:
It used to be for the track day lobbies - just the satisfaction of going ham on track or cleaning up laps. Driving a brain melting VGT or one of those tiny kei cars, it all felt good. The game felt solid no matter what peripheral configuration I used and once I got my first FFB wheel it was just outright addicting.

Latest Posts

Back