Why does the AI cheat so bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter squeakD
  • 27 comments
  • 2,818 views
Messages
514
My goodness.., why does the AI in this game cheat so freakin bad? It's so frustrating that these new "so called" simulators on consoles have such poor and "cheating" AI. There's just no excuse for such sloppy programming.

They "lazy" way console developers program the AI (as you increase with a much higher performance vehicle) is by AI cheating. I just did two races under the Dream Car Championship. The first one I did was at Monza (one of my favorite tracks). I used my brand spankin new Ford GT LM Spec II (one mean a$$ car by the way). The (AI) Jag XJR 9LM Race Car was cheating so darn bad in this race. What the hell..., do these AI vehicles have military grade fighter jet engines.?.?.? That car had to easily have been doing 400 mph on the straights.

The second race I did was the Tokyo track.., again using my beautiful GT Spec II. It just so happened that the first car on the grid was also a GT Spec II. However.., whatever jet fuel powered engine that thing had behind the driver obviously wasn't anywhere near what my Spec II had. For the first 4 laps that car didn't even hit the brakes! Then out of nowhere here comes that bastard XJR again.

I really love console racing titles.., but I just get so frustrated with the constant game of "peek-a-boo" the AI plays with your rear bumper. One minute you've completely smoked them.., and out of nowhere the Spec II and XJR that were just mere specs in your rear-view are suddenly up your a$$. Sloppy, sloppy programming.
 
Cheating AI?

I think the AI is too slow!!!
 
Cheating AI?

I think the AI is too slow!!!

In some cases it is certainly too slow. That I agree with. GT-5 has a very common thing you find with its AI.., and that's how it takes corners. The old mentality of "in really slow.., and out like a bat out of hell".

Some races the AI isn't bad at all. As you progress into the upper level races is where you really see the bad rubber-banding.., and AI vehicles cornering on rails.

A good example of a console title with AI that really stick hard to the old "in slow out VERY fast approach" is Race Pro on the Xbox :crazy: You'll always nail the AI going into the corner.., but they'll brake you coming out.
 
This is no AI cheating. If you check the opponents the Jag is 950 hp while the rest of the comp is 650 and under. It's just a very powerful opponent! If you want to play with 650 just rejoin the championship until there is no Jag!
 
I beat a bunch of GT500 and Touring cars in my Spoon Civic on the Nordschleife. I think this was in one of the later series.
 
400mph on the straights? Maybe you have a faulty disk. I didn't have those kinds of problems.
 
This is no AI cheating. If you check the opponents the Jag is 950 hp while the rest of the comp is 650 and under. It's just a very powerful opponent! If you want to play with 650 just rejoin the championship until there is no Jag!


Look.., I've been playing racing games since the days of Atari..., my first console title was Pole Position. I've been playing long enough to be able to spot rubber-banding. Yes the XJR is a beast.., but the constant game of "catch-up" it was playing.., well just wasn't physically possible. It's no surprise that rubber-banding is in GT-5. It's just a common practice across console platforms. How do you think a person who wrecks their car.., loses like 6-8 places on the grid.., then manages to regain first..?..? If the AI didn't rubber-band you'd never regain first place again :)

Just to give you a good example.., on the Tokyo track.., the XJR (after time-warping) from around 9th or 10th to second within a mere second or so.., got right up along side of me. I was on the line.., and the XJR wanted over. What do you think was the outcome of that event? XRJ slams me to get to the line.., bounces me off the wall..., I lose 5 grid spaces.., even though that happened.., I still caught back up to the XJR and won the race. The AI (slowed down) as to not get too far ahead. I shouldn't have won that race.., but I did. How do you think I managed to do that? The only way possible was for the AI to slow down so I can catch back up. Again.., it's not just GT.., it's across the board on console titles. Hell even some PC SIMS are a little lazy with it.
 
Last edited:
I've done that and regained first many a time in GT5. I must have been cheating?
 
I've done that and regained first many a time in GT5. I must have been cheating?

You weren't cheating.., the AI slowed down so you could catch back up. How many copies of these titles do you think they'd sell if it was TOO REAL.?.? People would never win races if the AI didn't rubber-band to some extent :scared:
 
I've done that and regained first many a time in GT5. I must have been cheating?

I've done it too... wrecked horribly and suddenly in last place, then slowly work my way back, and in first place with one lap still remaining. I may have been cheating but not with shortcuts, only with extra power; I had abuot 300hp on my competition. But I had to drive carefully with full attention to make it back up front so quickly.
 
Last edited:
if the AI cars hit me.. the sorry SOB who did it can expect to be punted into the gravel trap later on in the race or after the next restart.. i dont play dirty unless they make the first move
 
if the AI cars hit me.. the sorry SOB who did it can expect to be punted into the gravel trap later on in the race or after the next restart.. i dont play dirty unless they make the first move

LOL, I have done that few times "Oh, you wanna play bumper cars do you?" *proceeds to launch opponent of the track* :dopey:
 
but the constant game of "catch-up" it was playing.., well just wasn't physically possible. It's no surprise that rubber-banding is in GT-5..

There is no rubberbanding in GT5. The AI drivers are just increasing their pace, like you would tell your own AI driver to increase pace, etc.
 
LOL, I have done that few times "Oh, you wanna play bumper cars do you?" *proceeds to launch opponent of the track* :dopey:

HAHA.. i usually find a light tap in the quarter panel does the trick quite well (i took out a GT-R with a 599 this way).. or the best is when they brake short and you just slam them in the rear... my R10 killed a Bentley this way the other day by accident.. he broke short... the R10 went square into the back of him.. shot him up the track a bit... then he slowed... then the R10 hit him again.. this cycle repeated about 5 times until the Speed 8 was head on in the wall... haha =p
 
I don't know about "cheating", but it certainly is frustrating when you are running neck-in-neck with the top car... and you can do this for most of the race. But if you make one mistake, and the lead driver gets out of your sight, they are gone and will run on you...

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me, especially on the Nurnburgring, where I will be on the tail of the lead driver the entire time, make one mistake, and suddenly I'm 28 seconds back...

:scared::grumpy::yuck:
 
if the AI cars hit me.. the sorry SOB who did it can expect to be punted into the gravel trap later on in the race or after the next restart.. i dont play dirty unless they make the first move

hahaha sounds familiar.
 
sounds like you're forgetting how the AI stick to the race line and are so timid about passing...so the Jag slowly works its way out of the pack THEN when in the clear he picks up several seconds per lap and bang he's on you even though your pace was leaving the rest in the dust. Basically if the XJR9, Toyota 7, V12 BMW, Zonda LM are in the game its going to take a good group C car to beat them unless your name is Huttu :D. Pretty much any of those car will beat a human IF you go off track and dont have a good pace, in other words, a holeshot alone wont win this one.
Also you should remember the most basic rule of racing: alway try to win at the slowest speed possible...sheer speed does not win races...finishing first does no matter how slow.
And what that means is the AI's will slow after passing you :D like any good, confident racer. And yes, it can pay to ramp up the pace and put a big gap on the field, but unless you can do that without increasing risk, its usually better to stick will the slower pace if it will prevent off track excursions.
 
Thats not AI cheating that is PD putting a car that outclasses the others available to the AI. Essentially your racing 1 car and the others are never a factor besides being moving chicanes every once in awhile.

Another thing is the AI doesn't push the pace like we do, they slow it down some and frankly can't drive worth a damn anyways which slows them even more. AI is horrible and very predictable if you have raced the track once. Once i get out front maybe 1 car is a factor again.

Problem #3 is the AI car is bone stock on hard tires, not really a problem since its a race car ands thats how they should be. I'd bet at least 90% of the players mod ever car to the max. So rubber banding isn't even needed when you have an extra 100-150HP and using soft tires.
 
Is mine broken? Why hasn't this happened to me?

Why will I dominate a race an win by +45.000 seconds; they never catch me unless I'm in an underprepared car.

I beat the 2J in the Historic Car cup with a RM'ed Camero (upper 500hp ~ 1000kg vs. 900hp ~800kg)

I never saw this effect.

Go watch the full section time splits in B-spec, no evidence of 'boosting' there either.

You ever think they implimented something similar to 'pace' like they did in B-spec. So like, when the race is neck & neck the AI is better; and when they pull uber far ahead they back off the pace. Just like I do, when I'm blowing the doors off.

Maybe YOU slow down also when you are pulled way ahead..... just a thought...

Or it could be you use soft compound tires where the AI seems to always use hard; you get better traction right away, they take a bit to get quick... lot's of things could give you the illusion.
 
the AI ford gt winns if the jag is on a bad place @ start (dry)

jag is verry verry slow in rain so the AI ford gt wins 100% (jaguar can be first @ start)

(b spec dream car races)
 
There is no rubberbanding in GT5. The AI drivers are just increasing their pace, like you would tell your own AI driver to increase pace, etc.

This variable speed AI was a true masterstroke by PD. Kaz's New Clothes.
 
AI does not cheat, it's actually really damn slow, it breaks on straights etc.

Only reason you're losing is because either your car isn't good enough or you aren't.
 
Yeah, that Jag is a monster once it gets in the clear. From what I've seen in the Dream Car Championship it always gets a 12 place start which means it's gives you a good head start. Once it gets past the other AI it seems like rubber banding but it's not - it's just fast and catching up to you.

Pretty sure that car in that series and what seems like a rubber band effect has been discussed here already.
 
I can always give the jag a run for its money over the 5 races in my Raybrig NSX (With turbo added). When it rains (and it was dry the last race) the AI always pit after lap 1 for tyres. Its the same the opposite way as well. This obviously gives youy a good head start! I managed to beat the Jag and Indy in my raybrig to. (Although a certain amount of block was involved!) :)
 
Safest thing to do is buy the Jaguar and use that if it still happens it is your driving if it doesn't then it is the GT Ford car is too slow. Play like for like ! But as said above the Jag can be beat easily by less HP cars just be consistant in your laps with the GT Ford. Simples really.
 
Why would they implement AI that doesn't give 100% all the time in 5 lap races? The mind boggles.
 
I agree that there must be some sort of rubber banding, i used the carbon x2010 in a race on the lower levels that i skipped over ages ago, was lapping the ai, then noticed the cars getting closer, did the race in b spec and watched the split timing, ai kept gaining ground, no matter what.
It definetly didnt unlap itself but gained when my b spec bob was on perfect pace,
They can even draft you when your way off the ai's racing line ie im left side of track they are right side?????
 
Back