Why does your HP drop, if you install Supercharger

• Thread starter latestgood
  • 17 comments
Hello, I was wondering why horsepower of my car descreases when I install Supercharger. I thought that it should increase but my horsepower descreases. Why is that?

PS - When should you use supercharger over turbo?

Thanks!

superchargers are powered by pulleys in the engine so they don't have the "lag" that turbo cars have. Turbo's are powered by the exhaust leaving the engine. Supercharger cars produce high power and torque at low revs but their top end power is lower then turbo cars. Turbo cars on the other end, have "lag" or low power at low revs, until the turbo comes on around the middle and starts to produce huge amounts of power, so turbos have a higher top end then superchargers.

ps. I think that superchargers should be used on tracks with many small turns and little straight road, then you won't experience "lag" when you are coming out of slow turns.

KiwiBoy
superchargers are powered by pulleys in the engine so they don't have the "lag" that turbo cars have. Turbo's are powered by the exhaust leaving the engine. Supercharger cars produce high power and torque at low revs but their top end power is lower then turbo cars. Turbo cars on the other end, have "lag" or low power at low revs, until the turbo comes on around the middle and starts to produce huge amounts of power, so turbos have a higher top end then superchargers.

ps. I think that superchargers should be used on tracks with many small turns and little straight road, then you won't experience "lag" when you are coming out of slow turns.
This might help:
supercharger read-out
http://www.automotiveforums.com/350z/dynos/sracing_051704_overlay.gif
turbocharge read-out:
http://damsport.7host.com/mert/DYNO7,2-psi.jpg
turbo=high end power
supercharger=low-end tourque
turbo+supercharger=uh..well, I think this is a very good idea and might have been tested already. Anybody wanna goole it? But eyah, I THINK the supercharger needs a little back pressure to keep the hp up, just like 2-stroke engines

Turbo & supercharger combinations have been done, the most famous is that of the Lancia Delta S4 but it was also used in Nissan March and VW is bringing it into production in a new 1.4 litre engine. :)

It's also used in boat engines where cooling is easier to do.

Greycap
Turbo & supercharger combinations have been done, the most famous is that of the Lancia Delta S4 but it was also used in Nissan March and VW is bringing it into production in a new 1.4 litre engine. :)

Yeah, I thought so. What does a dyno read-out look like from something like that?

Greycap

i dont get it

how can it be famous?
what is famous anyways?

latestgood
Hello, I was wondering why horsepower of my car descreases when I install Supercharger. I thought that it should increase but my horsepower descreases. Why is that?

PS - When should you use supercharger over turbo?

Thanks!

If you've already turbo'd the car, then buy a supercharger, the turbo kit is removed to install the supercharger. It's one or the other. Take a car you've bought both for and go to the parts/change screen and switch them, you'll see. Some cars, the supercharger is more powerful, some the turbo kit.

sometimes you get more power with supercharger if u use semi racing exhaust + everything else ,not racing exhaust + everything else

opendriver19a
Yeah, I thought so. What does a dyno read-out look like from something like that?
I haven´t seen one, but on a national TV-show they testdrove a BMW 3series with both a SC and a turbo. The driver explained the feeling something like this: "Imagine running down a mountain, with someone pushing you from behind".:crazy:

In reality it takes horsepower to drive a supercharger to make boost but with a turbo it doesent take horsepower but because its on the end of the exhaust manifold it creates turbo lag. Turbo lag is basically slower acceleration when spooling up the turbo. With NA there is no horsepower lost and the acceleration speed in some cases increases.
Maybe your car can't put out enough horsepower to drive a super charger. You may be able to fix this problem by installing a turbo aswell, if available.

Anyway both options have upsides and downsides but usually its better to turbo a car.

Cheers

T4 GTR :)

thats the dumbest this i have ever heard.. not only did you NOT answer the question... you even tried to pimp yourself...bad form

SUROKIA
thats the dumbest this i have ever heard.. not only did you NOT answer the question... you even tried to pimp yourself...bad form

Sorry, I seemed to over exaggerate.

Fixed the post again.

T4 GTR

wfooshee
If you've already turbo'd the car, then buy a supercharger, the turbo kit is removed to install the turbo. It's one or the other. Take a car you've bought both for and go to the parts/change screen and switch them, you'll see. Some cars, the supercharger is more powerful, some the turbo kit.

I think you'll find ur problem here, if you have a car that you can both turbo charge and naturally aspirate, you will find that if you hav the turbo installed, buying a stage 3 NA tune for 80,000 drops ur bhp buy a good 40-50. Hope we've helped

The simple answer to the original thread question (which nobody seems to have mentioned yet) is that you can't have a turbo and a supercharger applied at the same time in GT4.

latestgood, my guess is that your car has a Turbo kit installed? If it does, applying the Supercharger option will automatically remove your Turbo kit. This is why your horsepower drops - the turbo is taken off, and although the supercharger takes it's place it doesn't create as much power.
Hope this makes sense.

Also, you can't have NA Tune and Turbo or Supercharger on the car at the same time. You have to choose between NA Tune, Turbo kit, or Supercharger. You can only have one of them at a time. Not so in real life, but in the game that's how it works. 👍

DE

Another thing you'll notice is that in most cases, the supercharged configuration produces more torque than with a turbo. In my quest to tune cars on S3 tires, I've had to go with Stage 3 NA on many vehicles because the superchargers produced too much torque(lots of wheelspin).

Dark Elite
The simple answer to the original thread question (which nobody seems to have mentioned yet) is that you can't have a turbo and a supercharger applied at the same time in GT4.

latestgood, my guess is that your car has a Turbo kit installed? If it does, applying the Supercharger option will automatically remove your Turbo kit. This is why your horsepower drops - the turbo is taken off, and although the supercharger takes it's place it doesn't create as much power.
Hope this makes sense.

Also, you can't have NA Tune and Turbo or Supercharger on the car at the same time. You have to choose between NA Tune, Turbo kit, or Supercharger. You can only have one of them at a time. Not so in real life, but in the game that's how it works. 👍

DE

rep +

Good answer.
I'm suprised it took 14 replies before this one to have the question simply answered (yet fully answered).

You're just lucky you beat me to it.
Everyone knows you can only have one of those. ;) :lol:

Latest Posts

Back