Why doesn't the Drag 180SX pull away at test track?

• Thread starter jeffgoddin
  • 8 comments

jeffgoddin

still team Edward!
Premium
United States
Cleveland
This has probably been covered years ago, but it seems like PD de-tuned the HKS Drag 180SX for the tuned turbo event at the test course. I mean, I stayed away from this event out of fear that I just didn't have anything near that weight to power ratio, but when I finally felt up to trying out the GT-ONE there, not only did I absolutely destroy the field, but the 180SX didn't even pull ahead of the normal cars with like 400-600hp or whatever.

I know this thing will smoke the 1000m, so why doesn't it gain more ground on the straights? Even if it can't turn, really neither can the rest of the AI, so I just can't see how it doesn't have an overwhelming advantage over the rest of the field.

As I recall, the 180SX Dragster has sluggish acceleration. When it tries to speed up the other cars have a chance. But the corners slow the car down a bit and is tough to overtake other racers without losing control on the 50 degree tilted left turns.
Though the 180SX Dragster has a massive amount of horsepower, but it sure procrastinates with acceleration.

I think I would start this comparison by not using the Toyota TSO20, or any sort of GT1 for that matter! I know for a fact I've done this race in lesser cars. I'll have to break out my notes to tell you exactly what, though.

But so far as your question goes, it just comes down to less-than-top progamming. Pd could have configured this car to do better than it does, basically, but for whatever reason they didn't.

Every time I ever do this race it absolutely dominates going down the straights, and only loses to other AI drivers (usually) because it slows down so much for the turns. :confused:

But so far as your question goes, it just comes down to less-than-top progamming. Pd could have configured this car to do better than it does, basically, but for whatever reason they didn't.

Well, it's suppose to be a dragster. That's why it does not work well for you guys apparently.

or just do a search on this forum for Drag 180SX! Yes, I did look before posting, and there's a great thread on what all you can beat this event with, evidently anything with more than 350hp and the custom gearbox. I'm sure it would be fun winning by drafting here since it's practically the only event where drafting could seriously come into play. So, I overshot with the GT-ONE.

But that's not the point. I just want to know how a lightweight 1011hp monster can't gain 2 seconds over the rest of the field on each straight, because according to my 1000m tests, the HKS 180SX is about 2 seconds faster than most everything from a standing start over 1000m. And for a running start at high speed, that extra hp should also make a huge difference. The HKS should have a top speed of 264mph even with extra drag from race DF, whereas a 600hp car should top out around 227. What this means is that at 200mph, the HKS will still be accelerating rapidly, while the rest of the field is petering out, and I just don't see that in the event. The HKS never got a pip ahead of the rest of the field on the course map.

No biggie, I'm just a little boggled by this.

Every time I ever do this race it absolutely dominates going down the straights, and only loses to other AI drivers (usually) because it slows down so much for the turns. :confused:

It's been awhile, but this is what I remember, too.

No biggie, I'm just a little boggled by this.

I don't think there is a reason, other than (like I said) PD just not putting their all into this project somehow.

Could it be the gearing? I seem to remember the drag cars are geared way shorter than what they're capable of, so they always bounce off the limiter before the end of the straight. The other AI can then draft it and keep up.

Either that, or (like everyone else said) the driver chickens out going into turns and brakes way too much (a syndrome which carries over to B-Spec in GT5, unfortunately).

Good point LeGeNd-1 about the tranny. Just checked it, and without changing the settings it hits the rev limit at about 220mph. And I'm not sure if the game changes gear ratios for an event or not, but this is about the top speed a lot of the competition is running, and so this would explain perfectly why the 180SX doesn't pull away.

Back