Why don't stock cars do their IRL 400m times?

  • Thread starter Thread starter liquid_mage
  • 13 comments
  • 1,220 views
Messages
4
Why don't the stock cars do their real 1/4 times? This is pretty much published information. All Polyphony would need to do is look it up. Two examples I can think of are the 02 Honda S2000 does like ~15.5sec 400m and the Dodge SRT-4 does it in ~15.5sec 400m too. IRL stock these cars are quicker.

If anybody know's I would like to know. The game is advertised as the real driving simulator. BTW I do love the game, I have since GT1.

Thanks
Nick
 
I got a stock SRT-4 to do the 400m in 14.8, about a second off what the real car can do with an ideal driver in ideal conditions. It did take ALOT of messing with TCS and weight distribution.

Keep in mind though that There's no VHT, no burnouts to heat tires, and MAYBE we're racing at some rare super high altitude Las Vegas dragstrip. :dopey:

That might explain the times....
 
actually, vegas is over 2000 feet up. its also hot (although its dark on the game and deserts are usually cool at night). and posted 1/4 times arent always attainable by most people. a company would be stupid to post an average time for their own cars. professional drag racers run these cars over and over and they take the best times. it only makes sense. theyre trying to sell cars without "lying".
 
Did you fix the gear ratios and LSD values? They fudged some of the gear ratios to give some of the pansy cars a higher top speed. Also, medium to high powered FF cars are notoriously a ***** to launch right(virtually and in reality).
 
Benfolio
I got a stock SRT-4 to do the 400m in 14.8, about a second off what the real car can do with an ideal driver in ideal conditions. It did take ALOT of messing with TCS and weight distribution.

Keep in mind though that There's no VHT, no burnouts to heat tires, and MAYBE we're racing at some rare super high altitude Las Vegas dragstrip. :dopey:

That might explain the times....


I've never seen a stock SRT-4 run better than a 14.3 but a stage one runs about a 13.7-13.8. Before they blow up. :sly:
 
BlueRex
I've never seen a stock SRT-4 run better than a 14.3 but a stage one runs about a 13.7-13.8. Before they blow up. :sly:


Not to turn this into a Neon hate session, but a buddy of mine has a silver '03 SRT-4 (before the Stage 1 injectors and LSD that the '04 got) and ran a 13.7 at a local track on street tires. STOCK.

And SRT-4's don't blow up until stupid people get ahold of them, or tune them past 500whp.

:)
 
Benfolio
Not to turn this into a Neon hate session, but a buddy of mine has a silver '03 SRT-4 (before the Stage 1 injectors and LSD that the '04 got) and ran a 13.7 at a local track on street tires. STOCK.

And SRT-4's don't blow up until stupid people get ahold of them, or tune them past 500whp.

:)

thats a remarkable time for a stock neon. he must be a great driver. what was his trap speed?
 
Benfolio
I got a stock SRT-4 to do the 400m in 14.8, about a second off what the real car can do with an ideal driver in ideal conditions. It did take ALOT of messing with TCS and weight distribution.

Keep in mind though that There's no VHT, no burnouts to heat tires, and MAYBE we're racing at some rare super high altitude Las Vegas dragstrip. :dopey:

That might explain the times....

And with a true stock SRT-4, there is no traction control.

Burnouts do you no good on stock tires. They help with drag radials and slicks.

High altitude has some effect, but less on a turbo car. :D

The gearing on the GT-4 SRT-4 is utterly ridiculous. I think it hits redline in 4th around 80 mph, and the real car is closer to 120 mph. That's an easy thing to get right on every car.
 
BlueRex
I've never seen a stock SRT-4 run better than a 14.3 but a stage one runs about a 13.7-13.8. Before they blow up. :sly:

You've never seen a stock one run better than 14.3? I've seen plenty (including mine) run 14 flat or better, bone stock.

I know you're joking, but it's virtually impossible to blow the motor with just stage 1. Gotta do something stupid like adding a cheap boost controller and hitting 25 psi.
 
Everyone (magazines: car and driver, sport compact, ect....) has tested a stock SRT-4 @ 14.2 in the quarter. Thats with pro drivers. You guys can say i'm wrong till your keyboard breaks, have at it. I'm not triing to start a war but thats the truth. I was just stating that a 14.8 in GT-4 isn't that far off from real life.
 
placebo
thats a remarkable time for a stock neon. he must be a great driver. what was his trap speed?

If I remember correctly... high 99MPH
 
IRL when companies say a car can do (x time) on the 400m it is normally guessed by power.
 
Benfolio
no burnouts to heat tires

A burnout will only help to improve traction when you are running racing slicks. They will not improve traction on street tires, or even with drag radials. A burnout will just make ordinary tires slippery, and actually hurt your launch.

The problem with Gran Turismo is that it will never be able to properly simulate launching a car without being able to control the clutch. In order to get the best quarter mile time possible (such as for magazines), it is not uncommon to launch the car at a very high RPM while feathering the clutch and throttle. This allows the driver to just barely maintain traction, while keeping the revs in the sweet spot of the power band. This prevents the car from bogging and saves time trying to rev up to the point that the car really starts to make power.

In fact, throttle control is fairly unrealistic in the GT series for the most part. You'll notice that you can rev to redline in neutral quite easily without even coming close to wide-open-throttle. Try it in a real car. I promise that at 50% throttle, you will not be at redline ;)

In a real car, I can pick any RPM and hold it there in neutral. With GT4 it is almost impossible to hold the revs at a certain RPM ... it just wants to keep climbing to redline.

-a
 
HoWheels
In a real car, I can pick any RPM and hold it there in neutral. With GT4 it is almost impossible to hold the revs at a certain RPM ... it just wants to keep climbing to redline.

-a


I've wondered why Hard Drivin' for the SEGA GENESIS had a clutch pedal/button, but GT1-4 hasn't figured out how crucial it is.

And heating up street tires does make them stickier.... to a very small percentage, not as much as drag radial/slicks. If anything it cleans them off nicely of all the crap the tires pick up on the return road from your last run.
I'm no drag racing expert, but from the 20 runs I do have under my belt in my fairly stock winter beater '95 Neon my fastest times did come slipping the clutch and sloppy all season tires through most of 1st gear. They actually did improve in grip as they got warmer, but it was a chilly day out. Good enough for 15.9@87MPH though 👍
 
Back