Why Is Input Lag So Bad?

• Thread starter AndyT88
  • 27 comments
I'm using a Logitech G25 and wonder if anyone else is having really bad input lag?

If I sit inside the car and turn the wheel right, the steering in game reacts about 1 second afterwards.

Just makes the steering feel vague and horrible.

Tried all settings. Wheel is in good working order and is perfect on my PC sims.

Any ideas appreciated.

Driving Options, Controller Steering Sensitivity. Set it to 7 and your wheel will match the cockpit view wheel.

It says it's for Joypads but it works for wheels too.

I'm using a Logitech G25 and wonder if anyone else is having really bad input lag?

If I sit inside the car and turn the wheel right, the steering in game reacts about 1 second afterwards.

Just makes the steering feel vague and horrible.

Tried all settings. Wheel is in good working order and is perfect on my PC sims.

Any ideas appreciated.

Have you fiddled with the settings on your TV? If it has a "game" option in the video menu switch to that, or if not make sure that any display processing options are turned off...

Have you fiddled with the settings on your TV? If it has a "game" option in the video menu switch to that, or if not make sure that any display processing options are turned off...
No TV has a 1 second input lag. Input lag is measured in milliseconds ever for "poor" tv's although you are right, setting any tv to game mode is a good idea. Try adjusting the sensitivity settings. I've had mine on 3 I think but everything felt fine for me so far but I've avoided driving with cockpit because of the massive framerate issues every time I do so I haven't noticed the steering animation relative to my own. Have to check that out myself.

pretty sure the sensitivity setting in the game doesn't do anything for wheels. As far as no tv having a 1 second lag, I agree. But the OP's description of 1 second of lag may be a bit of an exaggeration (not to mention that the millisecond rating for any TV is likely to be that TV's "best case scenario" and having the processing stuff on could slow it considerably right?)...

Tried adjusting sensitivity. Made no difference.

I've made a video. I've gone back to a controller for now until PD do something about it. It's unplayable.

That's strange, don't have the problem with my G27. In the beginning the rotation angle was quite strange though, but that's now fixed.

There's always a slight delay between the visual steering and the actual wheels of the car, the wheels turn within 50ms of input, the steering wheel in cockpit view takes 2-3 times that.

Input lag refers to lag between your input, ie, your controller, and the expected action within the game. The steering visual isn't an "action" perse, it is just that, a visual, and isn't necessarily keeping time with the controller/wheel inputs anyway. What's important is when I turn my wheel, does the car turn at the same time and to me it's working perfectly. If you're turning the wheel or stick and 1 second later the car is responding, you've got a problem:boggled:. I'm not worried about the visual aspects of the wheel, gear changes etc.

Please see my video. I'm not worried about visuals, there is big lag in the vehicles steering in game.

The car actually starts turning 1 second after my steering input.

Tried adjusting sensitivity. Made no difference.

I've made a video. I've gone back to a controller for now until PD do something about it. It's unplayable.

Try set deadzone 0, check search "tsox" gtplanet sim racing hardware.

Please see my video. I'm not worried about visuals, there is big lag in the vehicles steering in game.

The car actually starts turning 1 second after my steering input.

Can you do another video where you can see the wheels, like with the X-Bow or the Rocket? The Rocket is a free prize car from the early Goodwood Event in case you don't have one.

Input lag is awful on any modern HDTV, even in "game" mode, IMO. But I'm pretty sure the comments about the rendered cockpit wheel lagging behind the game's actual steering are correct.

So does it the problem effect you when you shift? The avatar's arm moves after you shift haha! The car still shifts at the same time you make the input, its the game animation that is behind. Stop watching the wheel turn and watch the road and you'll be fine

hurrr durr this has nothing to do with your ps3 settings. its all down to your TV. The reason you PC sims are fine is because your probably playing it on a PC monitor or in a different mode on teh TV>

GO into your TV options and look for a game mode and on top of that turn of Any True motion, smoothing. Lighting filtering, Set as much as you can to off if not Standard.

Can people please stop blurring what I'm saying here.

My problem is NOT the lag of animations of steering, gear shift etc etc.

It's the ACTUAL turning of the car. I turn left, 1 second later, the car turns.

It's NOT DISPLAY LAG. It's PHYSICS lag.

Another point to add, I did used to game on the PC with triple high response monitors, now I've moved to the 42" LED TV for both PC and PS3.

I don't get any display lag with either the PC or PS3 with the HDTV. Just physics lag with GT6.

From the video I see everything is allright. Apart from your PS3 setings, how high is input lag in your tv ?

So I'm driving along a straight, I turn right, wait a bit, then the car turns right. That means everything is alright? You can forget trying to thread a car through the tight Goodwood course, no chance.

It's fine with a controller.

I'm loving GT6 so far, this is only thing stopping it from being really enjoyable.

no? Works fine here..Using a G25, did you change the wheel settings to simulation?

Something wrong with the wheel? try a different USB port on the PS3..

Do you have a GAME mode on your tv?

PS3 overheating?

Only things I can think of.

Could you try another PS3 game on that same TV? or try GT6 on a different TV, or bring your PS3, wheel, and GT6 to your friend's home to make sure.

Here's my prediction: the PS3 is sending the graphic to the TV, but the TV displays it to you a bit late (maybe it has post-processing ON like the 120fps motion interpolation or anything else, so that's why you get the lag.

Right, getting somewhere. I'd had to move the PS3 from the living room into the man cave just prior to GT6 and accidently plugged it into HDMI 3 rather than 1.

HDMI 1 had all my game settings. So I've moved it back to 1 and there is a visible improvement.

So thanks for the comments, made me check my connections and it's improved things.

Still far from perfect, but it's good enough to live with now.

Cheers guys.

I'm pretty sure it's just render lag and not input lag, Shift 2 had input lag and it seriously effected the gameplay, but the physics model in GT6 doesn't appear to be directly connected to the visuals, the cars drive flawlessly without lag for me, though there is a definite visual lag for wheel movement etc.

Most sims/games have this to some extent, especially when frame rates drop. A few people have it with Assetto Corsa too, it doesn't effect the actual gameplay response though as it's a seperate system, unconnected.

Back