Why is my Bentley GT3 puffing smoke?PS4 

New Zealand
Hawkes Bay
davidb_165
Hi. Can anyone help explain why my Bentley Continental GT3 shows puffs of smoke out the back? I use the dashboard app and it doesn't show any mechanical issues.

The car drives fine. i just find it odd. i noticed it for the first time when watching a replay of a single event race i did in it and thought it was just the game modeling damage incurred in the race. However i have since been practicing for another event in free run and saw it in my rear view mirror.

Does the game model body rub?

Thanks for any advice.

It's the car beginning to overheat. The cars on default setups can be prone to overheat and have engine failures rather quickly.

Overheating. Open the radiator up more. You can see your Oil Temp and Water temp on the steering be wheel display in cockpit view.

Two other things to be mindful of regarding overheating:

1 - Down Shifting. What is often referred to as "rapid fire downshifting" (something we did in GT6 a lot) has the negative effect of putting extra strain on the motor. Even those few split seconds where you are over the rev limiter, if you do that every braking zone, every corner, every lap, it adds up and can cause overheating issues. Excessive engine braking from downshifting can be useful in a pinch if you need a little extra stopping power (eg making a move up the inside), but should be avoided majority of the time. Try to time your downshifts so the revs don't hit the limiter.

2 - Up Shifting. In many cars, particularly big displacement, high torque types of cars, often do not benefit from holding a gear all the way to the rev limit. In fact, in some cars like the Corvette C7R, you actually lose power if you hold a gear all the way until all the shift lights have lit up, as opposed to shifting up early. I could be wrong, but I believe the Bently is one of those cars that benefits from upshifting early. By upshifing early, you are also reducing the strain on the motor, which helps keep temperatures in check.

Back