Why is the D pad the first choice for Sony

• Thread starter petter mo
  • 27 comments
petter_mo
I cant understand why they have the dpad on the controller i understand when ps1 came and there wasent a analog stick. but now the analog stick is my first choice when playing. i dont remember the last time i used the d pad .
so why dont make a alternative controller with the analog stick placed where it should be

The analog stick is placed where it should be for me, i hate it on the Xbox pad since i want my steering input and acc/break on one line (same with shooter).

By the way, wrong section.

Maybe for other games?
FIFA for example, you choose tactics with it.
Or any other game......
I'm reporting this topic......

I cant understand why they have the dpad on the controller i understand when ps1 came and there wasent a analog stick. but now the analog stick is my first choice when playing. i dont remember the last time i used the d pad .
so why dont make a alternative controller with the analog stick placed where it should be

I like where the Sticks and Dpad are. Sure on the Xbox is comftable too, but heck, you want it in a RACING GAME? Get a wheel!

I personally use the extra buttons provided on the d-pad for various things.

And yeah, the sticks are fine where they are.

Yeah it's about time they change it. The Xbox360 pad is far superior for shooters and racing games. Also most sports games. At least that's my opinion.

The pad and XBL are the reason I buy EVERY multiconsole game for the 360 instead of PS3.

Yeah it's about time they change it. The Xbox360 pad is far superior for shooters and racing games. Also most sports games. At least that's my opinion.

The pad and XBL are the reason I buy EVERY multiconsole game for the 360 instead of PS3.

Nah, I always played FPS games with either the N64 controller or the PS1/PS2 analog setup, it makes more sense to have it symmetrical.

The original Xbox controller was horrible, the later versions were better but I find the d-pad position is horrible for finding it with my fingers, like the C-stick on the Gamecube controller or the d-pad on the N64 controller (though it was barely used).

What are you talking about? I cant stand using the analogue for menus.

I used the D PAD for navigating menus and most games need the buttons for extra stuff to put in the game like sometimes horn or look back etc.

Also, think CoD, how would you plant stuff etc?

x2

I wish I could use the 360 controller for GT5, since I'm not buying a wheel. So far on the Playstation I have grown very comfortable with using the d-pad, x and square for driving games. It's pretty difficult to change to analog sticks.

I have to say that I totally disagree with this.

I've never been able to get on with the xBox pad - and when ever I do play on one - I usually press a lot of the wrong buttons because everything is in the wrong place!!

C.

I have to say that I totally disagree with this.

I've never been able to get on with the xBox pad - and when ever I do play on one - I usually press a lot of the wrong buttons because everything is in the wrong place!!

C.

lol, I have the same problem myself with the 360 pad. The multi-platform games I got are all on PS3, due to my preference for the DS3. The 360 pad also tires my hands much faster than the DS3. Plus, after 11 years of Playstation pads you kinda get used to them :P

Its because Microsoft looks at a D-pad as extra buttons. The PS3's d-pad is more advanced and better for using with fighting games and others. All the buttons including the d- pad buttons are pressure sensitive unlike the 360 pad. Not every game is controled in 3d space and not every game is 2D. I'll take a more advanced d-pad and its current position. the 360's crappy pad is right where it belongs.

i like them where they are. i grew up starting with the original PS1 controller and when they made the analog controller thats just where i got used to them being. but how can you say they belong where the Dpad is. just because thats where XBox has theres. id hate to tell you this but nintendo had the first analog and theres was in the middle so if we are going by who was first was right it should be in the middle. i honestly dont like the feeling of the Xbox Controller but thats probably because my hands are just so used to the play station dual analog controllers.

+1 👍

I've been saying this all along - The PS1/2/3 pad is a very poor example of an analogue pad.

I'm almost certain the only reason that the pad has not changed is because it is as much an iconic symbol of the Playstation brand as the Playstation logo itself.

Sony have the best features on the DS3, but M$ have a far superior pad design. maybe an amalgamation of both designs would create something far superior? 👍

I honestly don't see how people can't use the PS3 pads, without meaning to be patronising, but is there something wrong with your hands that you can cope with analogs being in the same place on the right side (360 compared to ps3) but for some reason your left hand is strange so can't have the same layout?

I can use both just fine and my only problem was finding the D-pad on the 360 (as I wasn't used to it) but there is one problem with the 360 layout. For people like me who adopt the 'crab' style as it's been called for some games, which you can be ready to hit any major button area (e.g. can reach D-pad, both sticks, one of the XO etc., and an L and R). Doing this on the 360 is difficult as normally on ps3 you use thumbs for sticks, and then first finger on Dpad, middle finger on shoulder buttons. The 360 would force finger on stick, thumb on Dpad which just isn't comfy at all. Meaning you have to stop to say, select a UAV on CoD whereas on PS3 you can keep on running.

I can switch between the PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers with no major problems. Don't really have a preference.

The only complaints I would have are the triggers on every SixAxis\DualShock 3 I've owned squeak, which in a low volume environment just drives me crazy. On the 360 side, one of my pads has a left analog stick that doesn't centre completely, so in GTA4 for example, Niko will walk around in a circle by himself.

+1 👍

I've been saying this all along - The PS1/2/3 pad is a very poor example of an analogue pad.

I'm almost certain the only reason that the pad has not changed is because it is as much an iconic symbol of the Playstation brand as the Playstation logo itself.

Sony have the best features on the DS3, but M$ have a far superior pad design. maybe an amalgamation of both designs would create something far superior? 👍

Why exactly is it poor?

I disagree - and think that the xbox pad isn't as good - does that make it poor in my opinion? No - it's just not as good?

C.

Why exactly is it poor?

:lol: Don't get me started again! Basically, I hold the pad differently to most people, and I find the position of the sticks to be very uncomfortable, particularly the left stick. Also, the lack of decent triggers is also a bit annoying.

I never used to have a problem with the Playstation pad, because I could get around the problem of using the analogue sticks with using the D-PAD. The olny problem is this generation that some games developers are opting to not use the D-PAD as a means of control like it used to be, leaving me a little miffed.

I honestly don't see how people can't use the PS3 pads, without meaning to be patronising, but is there something wrong with your hands that you can cope with analogs being in the same place on the right side (360 compared to ps3) but for some reason your left hand is strange so can't have the same layout?

Well for driving games you only use the left analog stick, and I find that it's in a great position. Hell it would probably be good if they moved the other stick higher too, but the buttons that are there are used more often.

On the PS3, you not only have to use the somewhat uncomfortable analog stick on the left, but also the one on the right or the triggers, which again are pretty uncomfortable.

For shooters I couldn't find a natural feel between trying both R1 and R2 to shoot.

I am one who only used D-pad so please dont get rid of it sony :)

I hate the stick, and rarely use it unless necessary!

Try playing Street Fighter 4 with an Xbox360 contoller.

DS3 > ALL
Oh wow, I thought I was alone when it came to doing moves on the 360 version of SFIV....
Sooo much easier for me to do moves on the PS3 version 👍

Back