Why is the MGF 97 different between IA Test and Stock?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kolyana
  • 15 comments
  • 1,252 views
Messages
2,353
So I'm working my way through the IA tests and about half way through there is a completre lap of Hong Kong required in an MGF 97. Playing it, the backend was very loose and hitting a wall is obviously a complete disqualification, so while I eventually got through it, I was not happy with my performance.

SO I went off and grabbed myself an MGF 97 from the MG race series, left it completely stock, didn't add a thing and took all aids off. Immediately - upon hitting Hong Kong for some practice - I noticed that the car was a lot more 'solid' than in the IA test and actually handled pretty damn well ... I blew the required gold time away by almost 10 seconds.

So, back to the IA test and the MGF 97 there handles completely differently ... it has an awful loose backend ... they're like two different cars.

So is the IA test purposefully running a badly setup car? WHy would they handle so differently?
 
Kolyana
So I'm working my way through the IA tests and about half way through there is a completre lap of Hong Kong required in an MGF 97. Playing it, the backend was very loose and hitting a wall is obviously a complete disqualification, so while I eventually got through it, I was not happy with my performance.

SO I went off and grabbed myself an MGF 97 from the MG race series, left it completely stock, didn't add a thing and took all aids off. Immediately - upon hitting Hong Kong for some practice - I noticed that the car was a lot more 'solid' than in the IA test and actually handled pretty damn well ... I blew the required gold time away by almost 10 seconds.

So, back to the IA test and the MGF 97 there handles completely differently ... it has an awful loose backend ... they're like two different cars.

So is the IA test purposefully running a badly setup car? WHy would they handle so differently?

asm and tcs? same with the slr in the s license and my stock one i purchased
 
mule
asm and tcs? same with the slr in the s license and my stock one i purchased


ALL assists were turned off in my stock one, because I felt that the test one handled as if it had no asm (and etc), so I made sure that the one I bought matched this.

I'm now thinking about stiffening the rear springs (right now I'm running a stock suspension), simply to try and emulate the poor behavior of the test MGF ... they really are like two completely different cars.
 
But the license test does have ASM... check to see if its over steer ASM perhaps on the test car?
 
Azuremen
But the license test does have ASM... check to see if its over steer ASM perhaps on the test car?

I thought that ASM Oversteer prevented oversteer and Understeer prevented understeer? I don't use aids, so I may be wrong, and probably am. Just would like to have that cleared up.
 
My bad, you are right ebiggs... I was just thinking the Test car was setup to over steer. This would mean the "understeer" ASM setting would be on... to prevent understeer...

It happens I guess :D
 
Azuremen
My bad, you are right ebiggs... I was just thinking the Test car was setup to over steer. This would mean the "understeer" ASM setting would be on... to prevent understeer...

It happens I guess :D

No problem. Just checking myself. I'd hate to give someone the wrong advice with tuning their car only to make it worse. But come to think of it, I wouldn't tell them to use any aids. :D
 
Hi chaps, ive had the same experience on nearly all the tests, PD have said that the licence tests represent most clearly the dream they have for the series and thats why on most the non-racing cars you will find that economy(simulation) tyres are fitted to the cars, try matching your Hong Kong times with these on your MGF, much more of a greasy feel and it shows up more clearly the rear wheel drive in almost any car (FR MR RR) you add them to. Hope this helps. 👍
 
Well, using aids is bad I feel, but if the test car has them, and he is trying to learn that setup, then he should have it on to replicat the feel..
 
Captain Black
Hi chaps, ive had the same experience on nearly all the tests, PD have said that the licence tests represent most clearly the dream they have for the series and thats why on most the non-racing cars you will find that economy(simulation) tyres are fitted to the cars, try matching your Hong Kong times with these on your MGF, much more of a greasy feel and it shows up more clearly the rear wheel drive in almost any car (FR MR RR) you add them to. Hope this helps. 👍

Actually tires is a good idea ... I'm running stock S2, but an N1 or N2 could make all the difference ... great idea!!!
 
Azuremen
Well, using aids is bad I feel, but if the test car has them, and he is trying to learn that setup, then he should have it on to replicat the feel..

I think the asm and aids must be off on the test car, but I'll look out to see if it 'kicks in' at all at any point ... I don't recollect seeing it light up at all, but I'll watch for it.

GOd, and I hate doing this bit - a slight aside - but it feels funky if I don't. It's "She".
 
Sorry, my bad about the "he." :guilty: Kinda just assume unless the name seems femalish to me ... don't hurt me please!! That, and you just don't see many girls on here... :nervous:

When I did that test, I remember seeing the TCS/ASM light blink at me a few times. Not sure if ti was for TCS or ASM though... I'm kinda bad about getting anything sidways to make it turn... using small angles and license exams don't mix :indiff:

I'll test it out myself in a min here though, just got done running the boxer races...

EDIT - Okay, I ran the car in the license test, and was presented with excessive oversteer, even for an MR car. Its running on Comfort tires (N2) in the license test and the ASM/TCS light would blink at me when I would get unusual oversteer.

Got my stock MGF, tossed on Comfort tires, changed the oil, and proceded to Hong Kong. Initial testing has me to believe the test car is using the ASM "understeer" at least. Not sure about TCS as the stock car can't break its wheels from a standing start even. However, the stock car is more neutral in feeling, and a little prone to understeer at points even.

So my conclusion is that the test car has the default ASM "understeer" setting, the "oversteer" one off, and TCS maybe or maybe not be on... probably not though.

About your lap times... remember, you have a standing start in the license exam... I golded it, but when I ran the car without any aids on the same tires, I was more than 5 seconds faster, because of not having a rolling start...

Either way, hope this makes up for my bad assumption 💡
 
Azuremen
Sorry, my bad about the "he." :guilty: Kinda just assume unless the name seems femalish to me ... don't hurt me please!! That, and you just don't see many girls on here... :nervous:

When I did that test, I remember seeing the TCS/ASM light blink at me a few times. Not sure if ti was for TCS or ASM though... I'm kinda bad about getting anything sidways to make it turn... using small angles and license exams don't mix :indiff:

I'll test it out myself in a min here though, just got done running the boxer races...

EDIT - Okay, I ran the car in the license test, and was presented with excessive oversteer, even for an MR car. Its running on Comfort tires (N2) in the license test and the ASM/TCS light would blink at me when I would get unusual oversteer.

Got my stock MGF, tossed on Comfort tires, changed the oil, and proceded to Hong Kong. Initial testing has me to believe the test car is using the ASM "understeer" at least. Not sure about TCS as the stock car can't break its wheels from a standing start even. However, the stock car is more neutral in feeling, and a little prone to understeer at points even.

So my conclusion is that the test car has the default ASM "understeer" setting, the "oversteer" one off, and TCS maybe or maybe not be on... probably not though.

About your lap times... remember, you have a standing start in the license exam... I golded it, but when I ran the car without any aids on the same tires, I was more than 5 seconds faster, because of not having a rolling start...

Either way, hope this makes up for my bad assumption 💡


Ha, no problem with the assumption ... it's a fair one in the industry anyway, never mind on a driving game forum! Yes, I think my boyfriend thinks I'm somewhat insane and unusual everytime he sees me sitting there gently coaxing out an extra fast laptime.

Something about driving games (the techincal kind) ... they just float my boat.

Thanks for running that test you did. I'm impressed that you "golded" it, because I'm tending to get caught out by the oversteer right now and it's causing me to head sideways everytime. I also think that there are 2, maybe 3, corners that can be taken quite fast ... or faster than I am currently ... which is one reason why I wanted to practice it over and over.

Yes, the rolling start makes a HUGE difference, but right now the fast right slight bend right after the 'hairpin' right (just after the starting point) is catching me out ... I'm either hitting it too slow, or just a little too fast and ending up in a sideways skid. Not sure if I'm getting on the gas too soon or what and I'm still trying to figure out what would induce that oveersteer either mid way through or coming out of a turn ... I keep doing it.
 
You could have tested for TCS by throwing it in reverse.

One thing I'm confused about in license tests-On the full lap in the Mini ONE, the tires are displayed as "COH/COH" in the demo run. :confused:
 
Sure its not COM/COM??

I just did the MG races in a stock MGF... TCS and ASM off. Car is like any MR car, easy to oversteer when not giving it gas.

My one tip on just driving the car is to be very happy to STAY on the gas when corner... or else the rear will come out... that and subtle steering inputs.
 
Azuremen
Sure its not COM/COM??

I just did the MG races in a stock MGF... TCS and ASM off. Car is like any MR car, easy to oversteer when not giving it gas.

My one tip on just driving the car is to be very happy to STAY on the gas when corner... or else the rear will come out... that and subtle steering inputs.

It might have been. Just realized that would be Comfort tires.
 
Back