Why so limited pit options?

• Thread starter Swagger897
  • 28 comments
United States
KCCO
While racing for GT online (and offline too) it is quite an inconvenience to not be able to select "change no tires" or similar way of expression, and even to change select tires such as right front only, left front only, etc... This way if drivers need only fuel, they can keep the tires they are currently on and select fuel amounts (which should have an option to limit too).

When can we expect to see new renditions of the pit road after it's recent plague of bugs undisclosed by PD and not acknowledged either due to the extremely poor communication..

Thanks for reading guys!!

While racing for GT online (and offline too) it is quite an inconvenience to not be able to select "change no tires" or similar way of expression, and even to change select tires such as right front only, left front only, etc... This way if drivers need only fuel, they can keep the tires they are currently on and select fuel amounts (which should have an option to limit too).

When can we expect to see new renditions of the pit road after it's recent plague of bugs undisclosed by PD and not acknowledged either due to the extremely poor communication..

GT4 had a "Use Current Tyres" option, but it was phased out - why?

RE Amemiya's race team and many others did it in real life. Why we can't try to replicate it?

This needs to be near the top, I always hated going to the pits and not having the option to change only the fronts or rears or left side tires(ovals) or right side tires only or no tires at all. Just came in for fuel, ugh...infuriating which is why I never pit if it can be avoided.

I definitely want this more than anything in an update, but in order to have multi-stinting tires be effective in game, the pit stops themselves need to make sure that fueling and tire changes aren't done at the same time. Otherwise, you wouldn't see a big advantage to staying on the same tires. It would probably also help if it took a much longer time to change tires.

I definitely want this more than anything in an update, but in order to have multi-stinting tires be effective in game, the pit stops themselves need to make sure that fueling and tire changes aren't done at the same time. Otherwise, you wouldn't see a big advantage to staying on the same tires. It would probably also help if it took a much longer time to change tires.
Well I think by selecting how many at a time (4,2,1) that could be even more options...

We have race options, car options, weather option, but no pit options...?

Wtf?

There could also be options for types of fuel fill. Ie, Nascar uses a different fill than Indy car. How many options are there, and how could we use them to make a race FULLY realistic? :)

There could also be options for types of fuel fill. Ie, Nascar uses a different fill than Indy car. How many options are there, and how could we use them to make a race FULLY realistic? :)
We could also set fuel fill limits, so we can equal out cars...

There is a crap ton of stuff we can add.. And hopefully this FIA thing will go on further to open up the eyes of PD

I think there should be an option for controlled/uncontrolled pit stops by the players.

Under current situations with the pits, i would rather drive my car in by a pit speed limit than to see my car drive at 35 mph and then slow all the way down to 12 when passing cars... for no reason whatsoever..

I would like the option to have more detailed tire changes.

Change one side, and leave the other as is or dont change tires.
You can choose not to add fuel and on some tracks like Le Mans you need fuel rather than tires at times.

One thing that would have to be added is an accident avoidance. Ghosting works, but no ghosting could make pit stops VERY interesting! ;)

A much slower fuel fill rate would go a long way to help increase possible pit strategies.

GT6 has too fast a fuel fill rate and variations in pit strategy are cancelled because of it.
From memory GT5 would allow for around 15 units of fuel per tyre change.
GT6 has increased up to around 40 units.

Any advantage gained on track or from using alternate pit strategies is lost when the difference between a splash-and-dash and filling half a tank is literally only a few seconds.

Now, wait a minute. Some fuel fill systems ARE very, very fast. That is part of the strategy of the racing series. I'm fine with what you say, but, really, it seems a little backward.

Most of the time spent in even a splash and go is getting into and out of the pits. A true splash and go is less than a second.

Now, wait a minute. Some fuel fill systems ARE very, very fast. That is part of the strategy of the racing series. I'm fine with what you say, but, really, it seems a little backward.

Most of the time spent in even a splash and go is getting into and out of the pits. A true splash and go is less than a second.
Agreed.
But of course tram time along pit lane is the same for everyone, no matter what they do while stationary.
As it stands with compulsory tyre change, if you consider only 10 or 15 units a splash-and-dash then GT5 had it right, in GT6 you can get half a tank at the cost of only an additional 2 or 3 seconds.
IMO, pit strategy, race-craft, short fuel undercuts, etc. are currently all negated by the fast fuel flow rate.

*Edit*
You may consider this more a lobby option than a pit stop option as such, even though this addition would clearly be related to pit stops.
But something like this would be good:
Tyre Wear : Off/Normal/Fast/Very Fast
Fuel Consumption : Off/Normal/Fast/Very Fast
Refuelling flow rate : Slow/Normal/Fast.

Last edited:
Well, are you talking about a 2-3 in (50-80mm) pipe, or a 3/4 to 1 in (18-25mm)hose?

I feel that GT6 got the fuel fill a LOT more accurate. I don't see many racing series that have the car waiting for most of a minute for fuel AFTER the tires are changed. Usually, it's just a couple more seconds.

And that is when the fuel takes LONGER to fill than to change the tires.

Ever watch the Indy 500? Or, to be fair, most Nascar races? Yes, they both wait on the fuel to finish, but in 5, it was a long enough wait to change the tires all over again. Sometimes twice! I'm happy with it as is.

Now, if you want a car with a standard inlet (street stock, that is) to fill slower, I'll agree that that would be more realistic. But the race cars? No way, no how!

TBH, the last thing I'm concerned about is the hose diametre.

I want to play a game.
And the enjoyment I got from trying to work out and employ differing pit strategies in GT5 has gone, because it has become moot in GT6 due to the roughly 250% increase in refill fuel flow rate.
To me, the type of car in pit lane is irrelevant.

This topic is regarding pit stop options.
I'm putting forward my thoughts and suggestions.

To be honest, I think that the fuel flow rate has gotten better too.

The only thing i can think of which offsets the pit stop strategy from 5 to 6 is the fact that racing tyres have gotten a lot better on real/normal/whateveritis option for the degredation. So basically we have gotten to where in an R18 at around 520HP, I can do almost the 11 lap stints on a tank, but unlike 5, i can probably double, or even triple stint tyres.

The problem, is the fact we cannot choose retain/no tyre change and add only fuel. This is where strategy would come into effect.

Do I stay on these tyres to shave a few seconds off of my pit stop? Or do i replace all four and gain more time on track?

Now I am relating all of this basically to the FIA/WEC's pit regulations, meaning only two men are allowed to touch the car at a time. Meaning that two tyres may be changed, and then another two, and then fuel can be added. In that instance, pit stops would be upward of 1-2 minutes (counting time only in the pit box) and could vary even more if you were only to take two tyres.

Another thing is, not all cars in the game have star/six pattern lugs holding the wheels. That alone takes about 2-3 seconds per tyre, and can be shaved off when purchasing wheels and then be applied while racing.

Here is what I think should be added into a pit options:

Tyres:
Wear: none/slow/normal/fast/very fast (slow could be removed)
Lug pattern: individual(meaning each players own wheel patterns)/center/pattern

Fuel:
Fill rate: slow/normal/fast ( i guess you would take 9.8m/s/s and divide that by 1.5 or multiply to get rates)
Tank limit: 0-100 Gal/L

Crew:
Crew members: 2/2+gass/4 (2 meaning the 2 men then gas, 2+gas meaning 2 men and gas, and four is current)
Position: waiting/jump out

Garage:
Drive in options: Crew pulls in/car drives in (this would probably be under ai control for ease{i just thought of the Codemasters F1 series and thought this would be a nice addition for tracks with garages})

Settings:
Speed: 15/25/35/45 (mph/kph)
Penalties: Entrance speeding/exit speeding/wheelspin out of pit box/Unsafe releases(collision must occur)

I think allowing the drivers to actually drive the car in all the way would be nice, but I also read that there could be legal issues with a driver being able to run over the crew, causing the player rating to go up to M possibly for violence. But then again, online interactions are not reflected by those ratings (at least in the US). So if the workaround would to be make the crew come out of the garage, then by all means do it..

Do I stay on these tyres to shave a few seconds off of my pit stop? Or do i replace all four and gain more time on track?

Because tires are fuel are done at the same time, you would not lose any time for changing tires if you are putting in 40+ L (or whatever it is) into the fuel tank. There wouldn't be any double or triple stinting to be considered because you can get tires for free. PD would have to separate those two things in order for it to make sense to do multiple stints.

Because tires are fuel are done at the same time, you would not lose any time for changing tires if you are putting in 40+ L (or whatever it is) into the fuel tank. There wouldn't be any double or triple stinting to be considered because you can get tires for free. PD would have to separate those two things in order for it to make sense to do multiple stints.
That's what I meant if it ever were to happen

they must make some profiles based on the category filter
each class doesn't do the same kind of pitstop
GT3 class they must first refuel and then change the tires but one by one because only two of the crew can do that
if i'm correct in Le Mans series it's like for F1 some years ago
everything at the same time with a full crew working at the same time

not so complicated to implement
but i was pleased to see yesterday for the first time (never had the luck to see it before)
that the crew is getting out of the stand
getting place at the stop and waiting for the car
before getting in the stand after work
and not just waiting at the stop place all the race time being

Yeah, I've noticed that ONLY your (and the others coming in) pit crew are out once you get to the stall. Nice touch!

Back