Why so many expensive cars in the AH?

• Thread starter SkierPS3
  • 14 comments
United States
Connecticut
Skier1017,GTP_Skier
PSN Skier
This has been something I've been wondering about for a month now. Everytime I go on the AH, there' always some guy trying to sell a fully tuned Shelby GT500 for 2 million credits, or some guy posting ten Zondas for 999,999,000 each. Why do people do this? Are they using a game exploit this way? Not once have I seen someone buy one of these cars, so don't see any logical reason they do it.

It might be a unicorn car, or heavily tuned or just retarded

They are heavily tuned, but they add 100,000 credits worth parts and bump the price up a couple million. And how would I be able to tell if it is a unicorn car?

They are not unicorns. There is a special section for buying unicorns at the auction house. And don't you worry, I have never seen a unicorn less than 999,999,999. Or 1 short of a billion credits.
There is a thread already devoted to auction house pricing. In short, this is no reason for it other than to sucker in someone at that price. Cause once you bid, there is no backing out. Maybe they just hope someone will accidentally hit bit instead of cancel and they'll make a few million easy credits. Who knows and who cares. It's a lame practice that does need to stop.

They are not unicorns. There is a special section for buying unicorns at the auction house. And don't you worry, I have never seen a unicorn less than 999,999,999. Or 1 short of a billion credits.
There is a thread already devoted to auction house pricing. In short, this is no reason for it other than to sucker in someone at that price. Cause once you bid, there is no backing out. Maybe they just hope someone will accidentally hit bit instead of cancel and they'll make a few million easy credits. Who knows and who cares. It's a lame practice that does need to stop.

Indeed, it is very annoying. Almost half of all the recent listings are these overpriced scams-on-wheels. I do remember seeing a couple guys make accidental bids.

I remember picking up 2002s for 1000-2000 when FM4 first came out, haven't looked at them since. Even if the car costs 5000, an engine swap/rims/aero sound reasonable at 15000.

As for stupidly priced cars, some do it to show off what cars they own, their mad livery skills. Yes, people are that way.

Probably a bit off topic, but I'm scared to auction one of my unicorn cars.since they always go for sooooo much money. I wonder if I could get banned.

Probably a bit off topic, but I'm scared to auction one of my unicorn cars.since they always go for sooooo much money. I wonder if I could get banned.

You won't have to worry about that mate as you can't auction Unicorn cars. Only Turn10 can auction unicorn cars

Would $15,000 for a BMW 2002 Turbo with a Body Kit, rim change and new engine be too expensive?

No, the way I see it, say a car costs $10,000 new, and you add $15,000 worth of tuning parts. That means the total you've spent on it is $25,000. For me personally, I'd say a fair price is at most $30,000. And you can offset the tuning parts price by getting up affinity.

I recently got an Elise 111S for about $4,000, so I plan on adding every tuning part and selling it at a lower price than what I would have paid without my affinity.

No, the way I see it, say a car costs $10,000 new, and you add $15,000 worth of tuning parts. That means the total you've spent on it is $25,000. For me personally, I'd say a fair price is at most $30,000. And you can offset the tuning parts price by getting up affinity.

On top of this though, if you were to spend time producing a good tune that can hang with cars in on-line lobbies theoretically you can charge 'labour' fees on top of that too. A lot of tuning clubs do this, although for this you need a good product (the tune), a reputable or known name (hard when starting out), and maybe a bit of forum advertizing or something.

For the example of the Shelby going for 2mil in the OP, it could be a sort-after limited-edition tune from a well known tuning club. This style of sales were more popular in fm2, but now the storefront is here it's died down a bit.

Back