Why the affinity with Spain?

• Thread starter Barra333
  • 8 comments

Barra333

Premium
Canada
London, ON
barra333
For a change of pace, this question is not about what is or isn't in or coming to the Gran Turismo series...

I have been wondering for a little while, and got even more curious when the location of the new track was announced - why the affinity with Spain?

- Both GT5 and GT6 had large release parties there and now the largest 'fictional' track in the series is there
- There are much larger in-game (tracks/cars) and fan presences in other countries.

Europe is by far the largest market for GT so that connection is obvious. I suspect Kaz got invited to Ascari, drove some roads in the region and fell in love with the track and the surrounding area. I've never been to Ascari but I've driven in that region before and I can understand why he'd fall in love with it. :)

Europe is by far the largest market for GT so that connection is obvious. I suspect Kaz got invited to Ascari, drove some roads in the region and fell in love with the track and the surrounding area. I've never been to Ascari but I've driven in that region before and I can understand why he'd fall in love with it. :)
Saying it is in Spain because Europe is a big market is like Houston hosting something because it is popular in the US. In the market region, but not necessarily the centre.
If Kaz loved Ascari enough to put major GT stuff there, why didnt we se it in GT5?

Because All roads lead to Spain, didn't you know?

World-Map-1.gif

Spain is pretty much dead center in the world. :)

Saying it is in Spain because Europe is a big market is like Houston hosting something because it is popular in the US. In the market region, but not necessarily the centre.
If Kaz loved Ascari enough to put major GT stuff there, why didnt we se it in GT5?
Your analogy with Houston misses the mark. Houston is a city not a country. Kaz is no dummy. He sees that the majority of his customers hail from Europe and Spain is as good a choice as any to begin to shift the focus away from Japan and to the west. Great weather, great tracks, great roads, classic scenery to model and they obviously are enamoured with him, he has his own street now!

Last edited:
You guys don't see whats really going on here? It's painfully obvious.

Kaz is a man who adores both vacations and wine, to high degrees. Spain has both in spades, along with a very strong motorsports presence.

Gran Turismo is possibly being used as a platform to virtually recreate some of the roads that Kaz finds while on vacation. The Swiss Alps/ Grindelwald/ Eiger/ Matterhorn group is also likely a Kaz vacation spree.

I'm not totally against it as it has produced some great content, but a bit more worldwide diversity wouldn't hurt. With the recent news about the PD boys looking into the Isle of Man TT course, we may have a positive sign that the GTPlanet Suggestions forums are having an impact that may produce some more highly desired locations within GT.

And seriously, dude is a bit of a wine-o. Spain and California are surely on his frequent flyer receipts. :lol:

Your analogy with Houston misses the mark. Houston is a city not a country. Kaz is no dummy. He sees that the majority of his customers hail from Europe and Spain is as good a choice as any to begin to shift the focus away from Japan and to the west. Great weather, great tracks, great roads, classic scenery to model and they obviously are enamoured with him, he has his own street now!
Spain is a country within a continent, Houston is a city in a country which is bigger. Maybe it would be more correct if I nominated a state, but my point remains.

You say Spain is as good a choice as any, and I have no issue with it - but the entire point of my question is to find out the (hopefully interesting) story behind why Spain was chosen. Why not Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark...?

I think it's more of the roads. If he liked the Spanish tracks more, we would have Valencia, Aragon, Jerez and Catalunya.

Back