Why the Impreza Rally Car Probably Wasn't Premium... Now's its chance!

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 16 comments
South Africa
Johannesburg
Tayeedz1
Bear in mind, this thread could be pure speculation. It's a topic that has been discussed before but it seems there's an update regarding this so it's worth posting. I think...

The '99 Impreza Rally Car Premium to Standard issue is something that has baffled many GT players over the course of GT's life on the PS3.

For those that are unaware, the '99 Impreza Rally car was actually a Premium vehicle in GTHD. Then when GT5 came about, it suddenly became a standard car. Absurd no? It's a question that has been left unanswered and no one really knows why.

The Premium car

I recently stumbled upon this article though
To which I quote:

The first ever WRC-spec Subaru Impreza, built by Prodrive in 1997, has been consigned to H&H’s next auction at the Imperial War Museum on 14 October.

Do rally cars get any more iconic that a bright blue Subaru Impreza with the names McRae and Grist on the side? Perhaps, but few would disagree with the importance of such a machine. An estimate of £175,000-200,000 has been put on this piece of modern rallying history.

The story of the car’s history is an interesting one. Built to take advantage of the new less strict rally regulations, this Impreza along with its sister car went on to win the WRC outright.

After the 1997 WRC season, Prodrive sold the car to an Italian rally team who competed it in the Italian Rally Championship. Chassis 001 then went on to Ireland, where it was used and abused in many clubman rallies, before being left to gather dust. It was then rescued by a collector, who approached Prodrive to carry out a full restoration.

There were huge problems with rust, and the car had been bashed about and filled many times. Prodrive undertook the restoration, and it was completed to a word class standard, ready for many more years of rallying.

Source: http://www.classicandperformancecar....ads-to-auction
www.classicandperformancecar....ads-to-auction

It seems that the car has been out and about under different owners and even left for dead for a while. So now the car has been restored to its former glory.

colin-mcrae-prodrive-auction4.jpg

colin-mcrae-prodrive-auction3.jpg

colin-mcrae-prodrive-auction2.jpg

colin-mcrae-prodrive-auction1.jpg

Now get this, there's been rumours of "Sony Employees" scanning various cars for an upcoming racing game. I don't have links to the images that I've seen because they're all over GTP and I don't remember all the threads or posts.

So PD had the Premium Car, were they perhaps unhappy with that model , trashed it and opted to make a better model only to discover that the car was being restored to world class quality and now since they're out and about scanning cars, this could be next on the list because the restoration is complete and is going on auction? A premium car can't simply go poof and fly away. I've also picked up many different nuances between the GT model and the pics I posted above. I'm really thinking that PD just wasn't happy with the Impreza model or there was some legal stuff going down. *Cough *cough Virag... (I don't blame PD or Sony for that though.)

It's still weird because how come a car like the Isuzu 4200R which doesn't even exist anymore be modeled into a Premium car? Yet the Impreza suffered a standard fate.

That aside, I suppose this is an opportune time for PD to have full access to the car and make a plan.

With these new developments (The car being restored & PD apparently being out and about.) do you think PD will actually do something about this or will the Impreza just suffer fate and continue being a standard car.

What do you think happened or what's going to happen?

Let's have a chat shall we?

...To be honest, I don't think it was legal issue. If it was, then even the standard car wouldn't be in the game.

Hmm, maybe, just maybe, PDI was going to have the car in the so-called Premium guise, then they had to move house to the new premise. Soooo, the data files were stored in... uhhh, external HDD or something.

Then some light-fingered jerkoff absconded with the said drive during the move, and since PDI was pressed for time, they decided to just stick a PS2 model in instead.

Yes, I'm well aware that this is just a bull-dust. Hey, at least I tried.

Edit: some spelling mistakes corrected. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
This and the 22B would be awesome to have made premium.

That picture you put, and the related article, pertains to the the 1997/1998 model. The one the game has is the 1999 model. And really, can we just vote here instead?

:rolleyes:

My mistake then.

Nitpicking over car years aside, this is not a suggestion/wishlist thread. It's more delving into the reason as to why the car went through a quality change and there's no official answer to why this has happened.

Another thread to piece together what happened if you will.

It may have something to do with GTPSP. It's too detailed for the PSP, so they picked an older model instead. And when they added the GTPSP cars to GT5 they forgot about the GTHD car and just used the GTPSP model.

I don't think the Impreza is a premium though, it looks like it has an interior but it's probably not as detailed as the premium cars so I doubt that it would have a driver's eye view. It's most likely a semi-premium, i.e. a high quality exterior but no interior view.

It may have something to do with GTPSP. It's too detailed for the PSP, so they picked an older model instead. And when they added the GTPSP cars to GT5 they forgot about the GTHD car and just used the GTPSP model.

That could be a possibility.

I don't think the Impreza is a premium though, it looks like it has an interior but it's probably not as detailed as the premium cars so I doubt that it would have a driver's eye view. It's most likely a semi-premium, i.e. a high quality exterior but no interior view.

It's very likely that it could be a premium. Case in point, the Celica Rally car. That car was also in GTHD and was a Premium in GT6, along with a slew of other Premium cars. So it's strange that the Impreza could have just been 'forgotten'.

It's very likely that it could be a premium. Case in point, the Celica Rally car. That car was also in GTHD and was a Premium in GT6, along with a slew of other Premium cars. So it's strange that the Impreza could have just been 'forgotten'.

The Impreza was only seen in this trailer though, it was not in the GTHD Concept game.

Interesting, I thought it was in the game though.

Upon closer inspection it appears to be semi-premium. I'd say 75% complete. Most of the work lies within the interior. That was nearly 10 years ago though which is funny because the car could have appeared in GT6 in that state.

I wonder if there's other cars like this. That or maybe the car is complete now and is waiting for GT7.

Mad detective skills are needed for this thread.

Interesting, I thought it was in the game though.

Upon closer inspection it appears to be semi-premium. I'd say 75% complete. Most of the work lies within the interior. That was nearly 10 years ago though which is funny because the car could have appeared in GT6 in that state.

I wonder if there's other cars like this. That or maybe the car is complete now and is waiting for GT7.

Mad detective skills are needed for this thread.
I think this happened to some tracks too.

Hah, the topic of this car comes up every year or so. It's a mystery though because usually if a car is missing it's either licensing problems or modelling quality, but it's not the case with this one. I hoped Kaz would explain because this was asked in the Q and A forum but we all know how that whole situation ended up...

I still think this particular model of the Impreza looks the most aggressive and the sexiest too. Its always boggled my mind why it hasnt been made a premium. Hoping it is in GT7.

Hence why I'm suggesting the shizzou out the GC8. Tis in my signature too. That aside, guess we can only wait till GT7 and see what the deal is.

Hah, the topic of this car comes up every year or so. It's a mystery though because usually if a car is missing it's either licensing problems or modelling quality, but it's not the case with this one. I hoped Kaz would explain because this was asked in the Q and A forum but we all know how that whole situation ended up...

It's the Hot Topic now :D where's Scooby and the gang?

Maybe they lost the model , i don't think they would have licensing problems and sure as hell don't have problems with the quality of the model itself , so they could have just simply lost the model , simple as that.

Back