Why the power limit occurs on the grass/gravel

• Thread starter finnracer
  • 19 comments
United Kingdom
Brighton
TheFinners96
It is not a lack of realism it is because there are no penalties for going on the grass/gravel the power is limited so you do not gain any time from doing so, as it is a competition so on the full game it probably won't be like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clutch automatically cuts in (the red bit on the throttle indicator) so you can't get full throttle as there is a distinct lack of grip on the grass.

The moral here is, don't drive on the grass.

I also hope it is removed in GT5, as a option at least. Got to do some donuts on the grass after a Nascar win. :P

It is not a lack of realism it is because there are no penalties for going on the grass/gravel the power is limited so you do not gain any time from doing so, as it is a competition so on the full game it probably won't be like that.
The problem is it doesn't do it at speed, only when you are trying to get going again, so that theory doesn't really cut it.

My thoughts exactly. :cheers:

There are so many complaints about what the game isn't, but most lack perspective in relation to what this time trial game is.

The grass's effect upon the car is considered horrific, yet anyone who has played a GT game knows full well that you receive a forced, throttle cutting, 5-second penalty for short cuts.

That this only occurs while only on the grass is PD being very generous. I am celebrating, rather than condemning, because it would be cruel if they forced you to see those time loss seconds count down while on the pavement.

^When I get a game the first thing i notice is what has been improved and changed, I don't try and look for errors so i can go on gtplanet and moan about them!!

This is going to happen in the full game and thats a guarantee. I am 90% sure its there because of all those who complain about people cutting corners. I think this detracts from some of the realism but I can live with it.

Jay
I also hope it is removed in GT5, as a option at least. Got to do some donuts on the grass after a Nascar win. :P

NASCAR are powerful enough to easily do donuts on the pavement.:sly:

But yeah moral of this story, stay on the asphalt. It's probably to discourage corner cutting.

^Hopefully in the real game the penalty system(presuming there will be one!) will take care of cutting corners!

This is going to happen in the full game and thats a guarantee. I am 90% sure its there because of all those who complain about people cutting corners. I think this detracts from some of the realism but I can live with it.

It doesn't stop people from cutting corners, infact it makes it easier because it just functions as traction control on grass.
It's only in there because it allows people without good throttle control to drive out of grass and sand when they go off, otherwise they would be spinning tyres like a mad man and probably spinning around in circles with unintentional donuts.

Jay
It doesn't stop people from cutting corners, infact it makes it easier because it just functions as traction control on grass.
It's only in there because it allows people without good throttle control to drive out of grass and sand when they go off, otherwise they would be spinning tyres like a mad man and probably spinning around in circles with unintentional donuts.

It might not stop them cutting corners but I am still 90% sure its there because of the moaners complaining of people cutting corners.

It might not stop them cutting corners but I am still 90% sure its there because of the moaners complaining of people cutting corners.

How though? It makes it easier for people to cut corners, they just mash the throttle and go through (traction control cuts in). If it was removed they would get crazy wheelspin and lose control.

But it solves nothing. If you remember this "feature" was indeed in GT5P and yet people could still straight-line across the grass after the first corner on Suzuka.

But it solves nothing. If you remember this "feature" was indeed in GT5P and yet people could still straight-line across the grass after the first corner on Suzuka.

No point in telling me that. Tell PD that and all those whiners that complain about people cutting corners. Could be worse. It could be like the magic grass and gravel that almost stop you instantly when you go into it in forza 3.

Last edited:
The clutch automatically cuts in (the red bit on the throttle indicator) so you can't get full throttle as there is a distinct lack of grip on the grass.

The moral here is, don't drive on the grass.

That red is not the clutch lol

Jay

Someone knows what they are talking about for a change. This is the real reason it's there. Still don't think it should be there anyway. If you can drive without TC, you can drive in the grass without TC too. Although that grass is so slippery that it may not be true...

Back