Why there is no wheels with stick anymore?

• Thread starter gsbkv
  • 4 comments
Canada
Canada
Since I'm a F1 and rally enthusiast, I'm considering purchasing a wheel. Neither I ever had a wheel nor know about wheels. I have found some reviews recommending Logitech's Driving Force GT or Thrustmaster's T150 as an entry level wheel. And they are just good for my budget.

The thing that concerns me is that while DFGT has a stick shifter, on the other hand, T150 has a paddle shifter. I don't know why, but the sequential stick shifter looks better than the paddle shifter. So I tried to buy DFGT, but it looks like it's been discontinued, dang! And it's not a PS4 compatible device. Is DFGT being passed into history? Is it still worth to buy DFGT? Since I live in rural area, I might have to buy that on ebay.

Anyway, I started to find a wheel that is recently made and has a stick shifter. But it looks like wheel makers don't make wheels with stick shifter anymore. Why? Did stick shifters caused problems? Or is it just because people didn't like them? Oh no, I'm totally lost here. Where should I go from here? I would really appreciate it if you could give me your insight. :)

I forgot to mention that I found some H gear shifters, but I don't like them :(

Last edited:
I can't speak for others, but I hated the G27 shifter. Wouldn't surprise me if Logitech research showed very few people used them. It was so cheap and mushy.

I'd recommend the Thrustmaster shifter, but that's probably your whole budget. All I can recommend is you try and save up some money and purchase one when you have more money. IMO I'd rather use paddles than what those solutions were. The Thrustmaster shifter, on the other hand, is incredibly well built and comes highly recommended.

EDIT: Although not sure how PS4 works. Probably can't mix and match hardware. So that shifter may be out regardless of budget.

I can't speak for others, but I hated the G27 shifter. Wouldn't surprise me if Logitech research showed very few people used them. It was so cheap and mushy.

I'd recommend the Thrustmaster shifter, but that's probably your whole budget. All I can recommend is you try and save up some money and purchase one when you have more money. IMO I'd rather use paddles than what those solutions were. The Thrustmaster shifter, on the other hand, is incredibly well built and comes highly recommended.

EDIT: Although not sure how PS4 works. Probably can't mix and match hardware. So that shifter may be out regardless of budget.
The Thrustmaster TH8a work perfectly on the PS4 and can be used as a sequential shifter as well, works with the T150 as well.

Hey guys, after reading your advice, I decided to go with T150 and TH8A shifter. Thank you so much for your kind replies. :)

The DFGT has a stick shifter in theory. In practice it's so awful that I personally never gave it more than a few pushes before giving up on it ever after.

In terms of shifter quality:
TH8A >>>>>>>> G27/G29 shifter >>>>>>>>>>>>>> DFGT thing

You won't regret owning a TH8A, it's awesome. Especially in H pattern mode (I realize you are likely to only use TH8A in sequential mode, but maybe we can bring you over to the dark side)

Back