Why won't it shift?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BayConRong
  • 28 comments
  • 1,630 views
Messages
975
United States
Seattle
Messages
BayConRong
Allright, I have a 1995 ford taurus sedan, which won't shift up past second gear. It's an automatic by the way. The problems started when I was figuring out what a horribly squeeling sound followed by a strange grinding sound was coming from and I found that the main problem was that the serpantine belt was slipping. So I lubed it up and everything was fine beside the fact that it has always had a very solid (kid you not it gives you whiplash) shifting but it was never a real problem. About 2 days after I lube up the belt and it's stopped squealing i'm driving from a 35mph road onto the freeway and right before getting onto the freeway i have to stop. So before all this the car is running fine. It shifts, doesn't squeal, and I am happy with everything. After I start moving I notice that the engine is revving unusually high. I let off the gas and we can feel the car slow from 50 down to around 35, and I piss off everyone who was behind me. The car is now refusing to shift past 2nd gear and I have to coast down a 40mph hill at 35mph because i'm afraid of messign the car up further

In short does the problems with the serpentine belt have anything to do with this and can I repair it short of replacing the transmision or anything that would cost over $500 USD?
 
First thing to check is if the transmission fluid level is at the correct level.
 
Yes it is I checked it myself and so did 2 other members of my family, both of whom were mechanics at one point in time.
 
Well if your 2 family members that are mechanics don't know what the problem is, then I don't either since I have no idea how the serpantine belt would cause the transmission to not shift. The belt simply runs the engine accessories.
 
Well if your 2 family members that are mechanics don't know what the problem is, then I don't either since I have no idea how the serpantine belt would cause the transmission to not shift. The belt simply runs the engine accessories.
Well said. Serpantine belts have NOTHING to do with the tranny.
Hopefully your 2 mechanic family members noticed if the fluid was bad when they checked it. It should be bright red and at the proper level. If its really dark or smells bad its bad and your tranny wont shift. But if they are mechanics then I assume they already checked that. If its just the fluid its an easy and cheap fix. Put some of the fluid on a white rag and take a pic of it for us.
 
Last edited:
Even if the transmission fluid is at the correct level and not burnt, all the symptoms you described lead to a failing transmission. As several members already said, the serpentine belt has nothing to do with the way the transmission shifts. If I were you, I'd start saving up for either a remanufactured tranny or a new car.
 
Usually any transmission repair or replacement is going to cost over $500, especially on a front-wheel drive car (the trannys are harder to remove). There could be an main engine/transmission computer or sensor issue, but you'd probably have a check engine light on as well, if that was the case.

Unless you've really put a lot of work and love into this car, find someone who can rebuild a transmission at under $50/hour; otherwise, I'd look for another car and donate this one as a tax-write off, since the trade-in on your car will probably be less due to its condition. I'm guessing car is probably worth about $1000, at most.

Then again, if you haven't earned anything this year (I don't know your financial situation), anything is better than nothing.
 
Last edited:
1995, OBDII, computer has decided to default and stick you in 2nd.
 
RJ, how do you know so much for being 15? I'm only 16 and don't have a clue on most of this stuff!
 
RJ, how do you know so much for being 15? I'm only 16 and don't have a clue on most of this stuff!

I'm too much of a gearhead :p

That said I could be wrong about the computer issue but this car being OBDII leads me to find it the most likely.

Oh, and there most likely IS an issue with the transmission, but the computer is the cause of not shifting.
 
Last edited:
That's true, I forgot that it's an electronically controlled transmission.
 
Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that he lubed the serpentine belt? Normally you wouldn't want to put any kind of lubricant or belt dressing on it. You'd either adjust the tension, or replace it.
 
:indiff:

By lubed up I mean I put belt dressing on the belt

The transmission fluid was checked about a day before the problems arose so i guess it could in fact be the problem but i don't think that transmission fluid could go from fine to bad in a single day.

I was thinking that the serpantine belt was causing something to slip or not spin and for some reason causing the torque to be misread.

However it does shift from first to second and second to first. I can drive it up and around my house without a problem provided I don't go faster than 35mph.

the belt has enough tension on it and the automatic belt tensioner is working fine.

The check engine light comes on sporatically(sp) but it has always done that for the past 5 months and i've always attributed that to a faulty O2 sensor
 
Last edited:
I'm guessing car is probably worth about $1000, at most.

Good thing we got it at an auction for $800, then. I was really hoping that I could learn to drive it.

So. Failing transmission. We might as well sell it for $1,200 and make profit on it. It may just not be worthwhile to keep it. Well, Bro. Look for a new car. Anyone know of a better car for $1,200?
 
The check engine light comes on sporatically(sp) but it has always done that for the past 5 months and i've always attributed that to a faulty O2 sensor
That was probably a decent hint that something was starting to go amiss.
 
The engine's fine.
 
:indiff:

By lubed up I mean I put belt dressing on the belt

You're not supposed to do that to serpentine belts. If you thought the belt was slipping, why would you think that it needed lubrication? :lol:

Could just be a servo out of order. Dealership wanted to put in a whole new transmission a couple years ago when my dad's S80 got stuck in 3rd. We took it to a good mechanic (friend of a friend or something) and it was only a servo that needed replacement. Saved a bunch of money and it had nothing to do with Geico.
 
:lol:
 
Last edited:
I'll check this weekend if it's throwing any codes...

I remember at one point it was throwing one saying that the 3rd gear ratio was out.

and what are those A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.S? OBDII and CEL?

This car is almost more trouble than it is worth...
 
On Board Diagnostics version II, and Check Engine Light.
 
I'll check this weekend if it's throwing any codes...

I remember at one point it was throwing one saying that the 3rd gear ratio was out.

Say hello to why it won't go into 3rd.
 
Say hello to why it won't go into 3rd.

But it's been throwing that code for the past 3 months and if it was simply the 3rd gear why doesn't it just shift into 4th?
 
Because it's broken - that shouldn't be so difficult to understand. It's operating outside the parameters the PCM is programmed to handle. It's detected that the transmission is broken. It tried to tell you but you ignored it; now 3rd gear doesn't work, so it is doing what is designed to do: go into limp mode so that you can drive it somewhere to get fixed. No manufacturer is going to program a car to allow you to make it destroy itself.

Face it: it's broken. Fix it or sell it.
 
thanks! but it wasn't dificult to understand. I probably wouldn't have posted here if i didn't realize it was broken.

Thanks for all your sound advice!

Edit: ok as i was driving it home the high pitched squealing sound returned followed by the usual shaking like the engine was being put in gear at too low revs but it shifted up to 3rd and 4th so what should i do now?
 
Last edited:
It's a Ford, it's a Taurus, it's an automatic, it's broken. Sorry if you like the car, but unless you can get it fixed, it's time to move on.
 
1. It's a Ford, 2. it's a Taurus, 3. it's an automatic, 4. it's broken.

It is rare when something fitting the first three does not fit the fourth.
 
Back