Why won't my GT4 work?

• Thread starter NICKname
  • 11 comments
Netherlands
️Leiden
Years ago I played GT4 on my PS2. I had a blast, but after a couple of months the game wouldn't start up anymore. I bought a new copy of GT4 later but this one also stopped working. What do I or my PS2 wrong? It's a '03 model if I'm correct. Is my PS2 too old for GT4 to work?

Try clearning the disc with a microfiber cloth. If that doesn't work, you may have to clean the PS2 disc drive out, which would mean you would have to take it apart.
If you have an original PS3(20gb, 60gb, 80gb), it could probably play it. My 60GB plays anything and everything I throw in to it... PS2 games, blurays, widescreen format DVD's, etc.

bound to be the disc drive if both disks have played up. loads of videos on youtube and helpful websites for it; just google PS2 disk drive clean or something like that

To be honest I think the older, bigger PS2's, were never that great at running Gran Turismo 4. I went through several copies of the game during the time I owned my original PlayStation 2, during which they all 'stopped working'. I tried all suggested remedies, one of which was to clean out the cooling vents. As you can probably guess, it didn't work. However as soon as I switched over to the PS2 slim, all the issues just stopped. This was several years ago, and problems I experienced trying to play the game on the fat PS2 never reappeared playing on the slim.

To be honest I think the older, bigger PS2's, were never that great at running Gran Turismo 4. I went through several copies of the game during the time I owned my original PlayStation 2, during which they all 'stopped working'. I tried all suggested remedies, one of which was to clean out the cooling vents. As you can probably guess, it didn't work. However as soon as I switched over to the PS2 slim, all the issues just stopped. This was several years ago, and problems I experienced trying to play the game on the fat PS2 never reappeared playing on the slim.

The fat models are way better than the slims.

You can't leave a slim on for 24 hours without making sure it doesn't overheat, and they will if you're not careful.
You can leave a fat model on for weeks on end without a problem.

If the copy stopped working, then you have to clean the laser scanner.
My fat model has been going strong for over 12 years, I never clean the vents either.
(Only problem was the laser once, and it only took a few minutes to fix that.)

you can also get a, what to call it, a disc wich will clean you drive. I had one once and it worked with my ps2. Its a brush underneath of the disc and with the discs program it will clean the laser lence. Might be a solution.

I had a similar problem to this years ago with GT4. My PS2 would run all of my games bar GT4, even after using lens-cleaning discs like mentioned above so, assuming my disc was in some way damaged, I bought a new copy, but the new copy wouldn't register either. Then I found out GT4 is a dual layer disc, so I borrowed another dual layer game off a mate (MGS4 iirc) and had the same issue with it not reading. Unfortunately I needed a new PS2 as it soon after stopped recognising CD-based games. I remember reading something about changing the angle of the lens somehow helping, but I wasn't confident in screwing about with the console so I didn't try it.

I hope this isn't the issue, but it might be worth trying to get hold of another dual layer ps2 game to check if it gives you the same issue.

i'd personally go for a big Chunky one, the old type. I have a slim and it works fine, but a lot more advantages with the fat ones, as mentioned earlier, cooling is so much better and the DVD player is actually allowed to work

I follow Boris "the Blade"'s credo: "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, & If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it."

I first bought a 2nd hand PS2 slim, which just felt flimsy to me and rattled a bit so traded it for a 2nd hand PS2 chunky which has been going strong for ages (at least 4 years) now.

Latest Posts

Back