Why?!

• Thread starter ElFlambe
  • 23 comments
Australia
Australia
My SR just went down from C to D! Yet apart from a couple of orange warnings (one for, unavoidably, hitting a pair of cars that had just spun right in front of me and another for a slight misjudgement, on a bend), which affected no one else but me. Apart from that I had a clean race, even making up 2 or 3 places from my starting position. How can this be considered a fair system? PD makes you watch a 'kindergarten' video about fair play and sportsmanship, then proceeds to reward those that flout it and punish those that try to adhere to it. Maybe PD need to watch a 'preschool' video on hypocrisy.

A pair of cars that spun out right in front of you?

Sounds like there were two kooks playing bumper cars ahead of you and instead of backing off you gained speed on them and they scrubbed their speed off on each other until you ran into their dog pile.

SR works as intended.

Almost every contact (no matter if its your fault or not) drops your SR (those "orange warnings").
Going off track,hitting walls also gives negative points.
This is how the system works.I dont think that it works well but it is what it is.

Sounds like there were two kooks playing bumper cars ahead of you and instead of backing off you gained speed on them and they scrubbed their speed off on each other until you ran into their dog pile.

SR works as intended.

The SR absolutely does not work as intended. There have been multiple instances where I have been hit off track, gotten a SR reduction, and even gotten a time penalty all because some jackass thinks he can go 400mph into turn one.

The SR system absolutely does not work as intended and there are numerous people saying the same thing as I.

Do not shove off OP because "I haven't experienced it, so it cannot exist". I absolutely hate that kind of thinking.

My SR just went down from C to D! Yet apart from a couple of orange warnings (one for, unavoidably, hitting a pair of cars that had just spun right in front of me and another for a slight misjudgement, on a bend), which affected no one else but me. Apart from that I had a clean race
Two orange sectors out of how many?

The SR absolutely does not work as intended. There have been multiple instances where I have been hit off track, gotten a SR reduction, and even gotten a time penalty all because some jackass thinks he can go 400mph into turn one.

The SR system absolutely does not work as intended and there are numerous people saying the same thing as I.

Do not shove off OP because "I haven't experienced it, so it cannot exist". I absolutely hate that kind of thinking.

This whole thread is in the context of the OP's post. Nobody is speaking about the entirety of the SR system.

Within the context of the OP's stated scenario, SR WORKS AS INTENDED

SR works as intended.
On the contrary. I was braking for a slowish bend, which they had taken far too fast, to the extent that they both rebounded, off the barrier wall, into my path as I was making the turn. Both cars were ghosted at the time of 'impact'.

On the contrary. I was braking for a slowish bend, which they had taken far too fast, to the extent that they both rebounded, off the barrier wall, into my path as I was making the turn. Both cars were ghosted at the time of 'impact'.

Just my conjecture off of what you provided. Without footage, who's really to say?

How can you hit ghosted cars?Or did they went solid the moment you where trying to go "through" them -since they were ghosts-?

Two orange sectors out of how many?

Sorry, I didn't actually take note. It was the GR 4 daily race at Kyoto driving park. 4 laps of the track.

How can you hit ghosted cars?Or did they went solid the moment you where trying to go "through" them -since they were ghosts-?
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my original post, but this is my point. I was penalized for 'going through' ghosted cars, that I had no way of avoiding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my original post, but this is my point. I was penalized for 'going through' ghosted cars, that I had no way of avoiding.

Well if thats the case ,it must be a first because I've have not seen something like that and have not read anything similar either.

Sorry, I didn't actually take note. It was the GR 4 daily race at Kyoto driving park. 4 laps of the track.
That's a three-sector track, so 2/12 - or the game considered one-sixth of all of your sectors to be dirty.

I'd say that probably merits an SR penalty.

I was penalized for 'going through' ghosted cars, that I had no way of avoiding.
Do you have any video of this?

Based on the races I've been in so far, the penalty system is a complete crapshoot. I've been punted from behind, slammed into side by side with the other driver initiating contact, and I've wound up getting the penalty. Extremely frustrating, but you just have to press on, driving as cleanly as you can, and eventually your safety rating will rise.

Because dirty drivers will accumulate more penalties over time than clean drivers.
In terms of fairness it's not that great if you look at isolated cases, but as a sorting mechanism it probably does a fairly good job over time.

This whole thread is in the context of the OP's post. Nobody is speaking about the entirety of the SR system.

Within the context of the OP's stated scenario, SR WORKS AS INTENDED
Well, yes I am speaking about the entirety of the SR system actually. A system that penalizes the victims of another person's reckless stupidity is quite obviously flawed.

One race I started from pole, got rammed into turn 1 and got a 10 second penalty. The hit didn't unsettle me too much, so I was able to hold onto the lead. I didn't make a single mistake for the rest of the race, didn't hit anyone, or go off-track, won the race, and my SR dropped from B to C. Took me 3 races to get back to B. It's a joke.

I’ve found the opposite - my SR is S at the moment and I’ll let you all in on the secret of getting and keeping it there. Ignore it.

That’s what I do. Somehow my Sr is S and I never think about it. To be honest, the races I take part in seem to have quite a lot of contact - sometimes I screw up, sometimes others do, sometimes red mist just makes someone hit me.

Despite all that I seem to rarely get an SR degrade. I can only imagine this is because I race in a way that if contact happens it’s the other driver’s fault - but I’m not certain of that because there’s no data to look at.

If anything I actually am beginning to think the SR system is too easy to get to S and not quick enough to be degraded. Hopefully PD will make the SR more strict in future.

Contact alone doesn't mean anything. I've had several races even awarding the clean race bonus, despite frequent contacts with other cars. Often without a single player decreasing their SR value.

It's more about how contact happens. The system actually tolerates fighting for positions, as long as it's within a certain limit.

I’ve found the opposite - my SR is S at the moment and I’ll let you all in on the secret of getting and keeping it there. Ignore it.

That’s what I do. Somehow my Sr is S and I never think about it. To be honest, the races I take part in seem to have quite a lot of contact - sometimes I screw up, sometimes others do, sometimes red mist just makes someone hit me.

Despite all that I seem to rarely get an SR degrade. I can only imagine this is because I race in a way that if contact happens it’s the other driver’s fault - but I’m not certain of that because there’s no data to look at.

If anything I actually am beginning to think the SR system is too easy to get to S and not quick enough to be degraded. Hopefully PD will make the SR more strict in future.

I am an SR S as well and I also during a race do not let my ranking dictate my race. I try to race clean at all times and I try to race at a pace I can maintain my fastest speed among the race traffic without racing in an out of control or over my head style of driving.

I have never so far had a SR rating reduction even though at times I have been on some off road sight seeing tours and been involved in some bumping and crash incidents some by my mistakes and some I was the innocent recipient.

I think though that if the majority of your racing experience is good solid fast clean racing at race pace among race traffic then the system does allow for a few mishaps without demotion.

I do not think that a persons SR rating should be increased by dropping to the rear of the field and riding around to gain a higher rating. That is the reason so many keep dropping back, they have not learned the racing techniques required to maintain and stay at the higher rating.

This form of advancement I think it is a probable reason that even in the S class races there always seems to be one or two in a race that do not race in a manner that supports the SR rating they are racing with. A higher ranking should be earned with clean competitive racing showing the proficiency to race cleanly at the required racing pace.
Anybody can ride around at a 75% pace by themselves and have no incidents, prove you can do it in traffic around others!

Just my conjecture off of what you provided. Without footage, who's really to say?

I have actually gone back and watched my races, and instances that I thought were a 100% the other guys fault are not. I see how maybe it was my fault, or just racing. In the heat of the moment it is real easy to blame the other person.

I am currently D/B thanks to these Cups races, but I am having a blast racing, and learning a lot. I don't worry about my rankings, I figure as flawed as the system is it still works to a point, and after many races the dirty bad drivers will fall to the bottom, and the good drivers will get to the top, and in the middle will be the casual racers like me.

I have actually gone back and watched my races, and instances that I thought were a 100% the other guys fault are not. I see how maybe it was my fault, or just racing. In the heat of the moment it is real easy to blame the other person.

I am currently D/B thanks to these Cups races, but I am having a blast racing, and learning a lot. I don't worry about my rankings, I figure as flawed as the system is it still works to a point, and after many races the dirty bad drivers will fall to the bottom, and the good drivers will get to the top, and in the middle will be the casual racers like me.

When it comes to the SR rating there is no reason that any racer once they learn to control their car, drive within their limits and to respect other racers and their position on the track and avoid hitting other cars or running off course cannot be SR S rated racers.

Now DR ratings will take being able to improve your speed and lap times to compete with faster racers as you move up classes.

Back