Wide tyre, myth, bug or something else?

• Thread starter Omiyup
  • 10 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Wanted to confirm for anyone maybe have done this.

Is wider tyre/rims on gt auto resulted better handling? I’m talking about widening the rims, not the offset. The offset does do some changes om handling, but what about the rims width? All I can see was the tyre became “stance” ish (tyre wall stretching, to put it simply, like those on camber gang cars)

Thank you very much!

If you dont see any slight change on PP it is very safe to assume it doesnt change anything at all.
It could be there is a rare situation where 1 change affects 2 variables that cancel each other out causing PP to stay the same but still creating a different feeling.

I see, and I’m little bit confused on PP rating system. Sometimes car with lower PP tune feel better than the higher PP (also get faster laptime too). Is it true PP not that all important?

Is it true PP not that all important?
It is not a good value to estimate a cars performance for a few different reasons.
PP
1. is bugged with specific setup conditions
2. doesnt take into account transmission settings (anymore, to fix 1 specific bug)
3. doesnt consider track specific variables like straights or corners
4. doesnt take into account fuel consumption and tyre wear
5. doesnt take into account the natural "driveability" of a car. Some are snap-happy while others feel really planted

It is not that it is unimportant, it is just that it really doesnt serve the purpose it ought to have, but at certian points and with a few rules it works quite okay.

So
It is not a good value to estimate a cars performance for a few different reasons.
PP
1. is bugged with specific setup conditions
2. doesnt take into account transmission settings (anymore, to fix 1 specific bug)
3. doesnt consider track specific variables like straights or corners
4. doesnt take into account fuel consumption and tyre wear
5. doesnt take into account the natural "driveability" of a car. Some are snap-happy while others feel really planted

It is not that it is unimportant, it is just that it really doesnt serve the purpose it ought to have, but at certian points and with a few rules it works quite okay.
So I just tune it to suits myself, it doesn’t matter if the PP decreased then?

Another way that I look at this is how the width of the sidewall effects the spring rate of the tire you're running. Changing the vertical stiffness of the tire impacts the ride rate of the vehicle. Ride rate is effectively the combined spring rate of the vehicle taking into account the wheel rate (resultant stiffness of suspension components such as the springs, anti-roll bar, and thirds) and the spring rate of the tire acting in series.

A tire with a narrower sidewall I would imagine has a stiffer vertical stiffness. This also increases ride rate, and the vehicle will feel more responsive with steering input and dynamics loads coming through the tire at the contact patch. I'm not sure if this is accounted for in the physics model but it explains why cars with narrow sidewalls generally aren't as comfortable to ride in over bumpy roads.

Another way that I look at this is how the width of the sidewall effects the spring rate of the tire you're running. Changing the vertical stiffness of the tire impacts the ride rate of the vehicle. Ride rate is effectively the combined spring rate of the vehicle taking into account the wheel rate (resultant stiffness of suspension components such as the springs, anti-roll bar, and thirds) and the spring rate of the tire acting in series.

A tire with a narrower sidewall I would imagine has a stiffer vertical stiffness. This also increases ride rate, and the vehicle will feel more responsive with steering input and dynamics loads coming through the tire at the contact patch. I'm not sure if this is accounted for in the physics model but it explains why cars with narrow sidewalls generally aren't as comfortable to ride in over bumpy roads.
correct. in real life this is the truth. i like a fatter tire on my wheel. on my real play car i have rears 275/60/15 on a 15x8 wide wheel. tire itself is slightly over 12" wide at tread so it ballons the tire which absorbs rough stuff better. also grabs traction better in my experience just messing around. check my avatar youll seee.

I swear that wide rims does help and have a few of my tunes that I think would justify it…..but at the same time maybe I just got better at that track with all my time trial runs

At this point it’s a superstition and I’m okay with running the fattest wheels I can fit on a car

Back