Widescreen bars on sides..

• Thread starter Sloth
  • 6 comments
Hey,

When I tried GT4 on my widescreen plasma TV, there were bars on either side of the screen.

There is no setting that fixes this. Changing the zoom setting on the TV only squishes or stretches the image.

I actually bought an s-video cable thinking that it might fix the problem, but it didn't. I was surprised to find that I was still unable to use the 480p/1080i function.

Would component cables remove the bars on the sides and allow me to use 1080i?

Thanks.

On my widescreen TV this stopped happening when I changed the aspect ratio in the GT4 options to 16:9. Have you tried that? (Wasn't sure if that's what you mean by Zoom or not)

Last edited:
i have a function on my TV where called "wide" and you can select which mode you want to play and it stretches it out fine.

are you playing on ps3 or ps2?

You need to change the settings in-game and leave the tv settings alone. In the GT4 options menu you can switch between 4:3 and 16:9 i think the default setting on GT4 was the 4:3 aspect. The change needs to be done on the console, the TV only displays what the signal sends it. Meaning if the PS sends it a 4:3 signal, it will either stretch it to fit or display the 4:3 aspect giving you the lines down either side. Hope this explains things.

It will either be under the 'display' or 'picture' setting screens.

I've tried changing the aspect ratio. The bars are still there.

It's in every game, including the PS2 system menu.

Does anyone use component cables?

Yes, component cables work just fine.
You cannot display an HD signal with the regular composite PS2 lead, so that's probably where you're going wrong.

Yeah, that's weird because I used to play GT4 on my friend's old TV on 1080i with an s-video cable. At least I'm pretty sure I was :odd:

I'll give the composite cables a try then.

Back