Will Sportsmanship only be for Sport Mode?

Canada
In his bedroom.
I apologize if it's been already asked.

I know this is a possibly stupid question, but considering I'll never go into Sport Mode and stick to Online Mode with the lobbies (I've seen a screenshot that had Online Mode in it before PD asked GTP to remove it.) I hope they won't calculate the Sportsmanship rating for these, especially for drifting events where mistakes and eventful racing is frequent, that would just destroy the player's Sportsmanship status in question.

That's just me being a scaredy person, though...

I apologize if it's been already asked.

I know this is a possibly stupid question, but considering I'll never go into Sport Mode and stick to Online Mode with the lobbies (I've seen a screenshot that had Online Mode in it before PD asked GTP to remove it.) I hope they won't calculate the Sportsmanship rating for these, especially for drifting events where mistakes and eventful racing is frequent, that would just destroy the player's Sportsmanship status in question.

That's just me being a scaredy person, though...
It's definitely not a stupid question.
Yet another one of GTSports functions we are left wondering about.

In my opinion, the answer to your question is 'yes'.
I think the driver rating you are given will only be affected in Sports mode events.
Driver rating being a combination of Driver Class (race speed/results) and Sportsmanship (race etiquette)

But I wouldn't be surprised to see this as an option when setting up online lobbies, in the same way the room owner can determine many other restrictions.
Which, to me, sounds pretty good if you set your lobby up for the general public to access.

I'm sure PD has plenty of stats regarding online lobbies and would recognize that many lobbies aren't just hardcore, serious racing.

On another note, I'm not sure why you would want to avoid Sports mode.
I picture most of Sport mode, apart from the FIA events, taking over from Quickmatch events.
In fact I doubt we'll see a 'Quickmatch' mode in GTSport.
Essentially a pre-determined online race, but with the added advantage of grouping drivers into individual abilities and styles close to your own.
I realise this isn't racing with your mates in a private lobby, but for those times when that isn't possible, I see the regular Sports mode events being extremely popular.

Last edited:
As above, the simple answer is we don't know, they've given no indication on it and haven't talked about the 'normal' online mode at all, those screenshots we've seen are the only evidence it even exists.

I'd also guess it only applies to Sport Mode or at the very least if it's available in normal online, it would be optional. So if you wanted to enter an unranked lobby that didn't affect anyone, that would be up to you. Who knows though, except PD.

As above, the simple answer is we don't know, they've given no indication on it and haven't talked about the 'normal' online mode at all, those screenshots we've seen are the only evidence it even exists.

I'd also guess it only applies to Sport Mode or at the very least if it's available in normal online, it would be optional. So if you wanted to enter an unranked lobby that didn't affect anyone, that would be up to you. Who knows though, except PD.
Yeh, I would anticipate that there is some sort of algorithm (right term?) that determines what influences these ratings.
And I can't see that happening across the board otherwise even Arcade racing would influence the stats.

So they, I assume, must be able to 'switch on or off' when your ratings are effected depending on the game mode you are playing.

But time will tell.

My guess would be no, it won't even be an option in open lobbies. I think they'll keep it exclusive to Sport Mode because it's a much more controlled environment.

Because I'm incredibly inconfident, Serious online racing intimidates me and that I'd rather cruise and show off liveries and etc. in online open lobbies ;)
Ah, I see.
More a cruiser than a racer. 👍
Cool.

Hopefully the livery function lives up to your expectations. :)

Because I'm incredibly inconfident, Serious online racing intimidates me and that I'd rather cruise and show off liveries and etc. in online open lobbies ;)

you don;t have to be fast, to be clean and a good racer.

with the way the online ranking system should operate is that you will be matched with other similar drivers,
Based on your overall speed and ranking for each race.
but also on how clean or dirty you race,

so it you're happy to hang back and drive around at 90%, but not drive off the road or crash into anyone, your Sportsmanship Rating will be very high.
but you will be matched with other drivers who aren't that fast either.
The more you race (participate), the more you will be matched with other drivers doing the same

Hopefully the livery function lives up to your expectations. :)

Once you've seen my livery, you've seen all my cars. My Chris Lebleu livery (The character in my GTP profile picture) is the only one I excel at.

I'm expecting reactions of every colors when people see it, from "That livery looks awesome!!" "Aw, cute livery!" "Great, I'm racing against a Pokemon, I can now die happily..." or simply "What the 🤬 is that!?"

I'm expecting the latter two to happen often.

Back