Will the 1.06´s GPS Visualiser brings any improvement to the drifting scene?

Brazil
Porto Alegre
LazyLiquid
I got this:

"In the Sports Drive Logger, a real time communication system called the CAN (Controller Area Network) is used to record GPS Position, vehicle speed, engine revolutions, accelerator pedal stroke, steering angle, brake operation signals, etc, and this can be saved onto a USB memory stick. This in turn can be read in GT6, and converted into an accurate replay image inside the game."

What is curious for me is if there will be how to share and analise other driver´s performances inside the game based on these statistics. If so, it will be possible to understand better how people tame the car while drifting, specialy on wheels.

Am i right?

Do you mean, like real life drifters recording telemetry, and us watching the recreation in game, then learning from those recreations?

Not that, actualy. I mean ingame stats recording. Like i benchmark your performance and learn from it by watching your replays + gps analiser.

Ignore this thread if we already have this, cose i never saw it.

Not that, actualy. I mean ingame stats recording. Like i benchmark your performance and learn from it by watching your replays + gps analiser.

Ignore this thread if we already have this, cose i never saw it.

Well it could work if we use similar setups and input devices I suppose.

I am a keen advocate that you can only learn so much about drifting from reading and watching video's etc.

I could record all of my drifting showing wheel/pedals/ screen with the telemetry, you could study it for weeks, but you would still need to actually feel it yourself to start to understand properly, then building your own techniques and style.

As I say, it could help, if we used very similar setups etc.

You're not right. This may work for racing, but drifting is completely different. Different tuning, driving styles, etc. :)
Debatable, see above.

I am a keen advocate that you can only learn so much about drifting from reading and watching video's etc.

I could record all of my drifting showing wheel/pedals/ screen with the telemetry, you could study it for weeks, but you would still need to actually feel it yourself to start to understand properly, then building your own techniques and style.

Debatable, see above.

And that's where you are wrong. People will never use the same type of setups, simply because they don't like the feel. I couldn't use a grippy setup, so there is no point in comparing telemetry. Asking drifters to use the same setups is like asking professional cyclists like the guys from the Tour De France to switch bikes. It will never happen :D

Besides the fact that I already pointed out that not only our tunes are completely different, so are our driving styles.

P.S.: Data logger is used to help yourself, most of all. Not to teach other drivers.

And that's where you are wrong. People will never use the same type of setups, simply because they don't like the feel. I couldn't use a grippy setup, so there is no point in comparing telemetry. Asking drifters to use the same setups is like asking professional cyclists like the guys from the Tour De France to switch bikes. It will never happen :D

Besides the fact that I already pointed out that not only our tunes are completely different, so are our driving styles.

P.S.: Data logger is used to help yourself, most of all. Not to teach other drivers.

Here's my post again so you can read it properly.

Note the use of 'could' and 'if'.

I am not wrong.

It 'could' help, 'if' the person viewing my data is using the same setup.

Many setups are very similar.

All of my beginner tunes are very similar in feel..

I have one resource with a review. So that resource must have at least one person using the tune. I still use that exact setup, so if I record data and send it to him, he could learn from my data.

If you disagree you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

I never said anything about you and me using the same setup.

It is plausible however, that two drifters could use identical or very similar setups, due to the fact they have very similar, or identical driving styles.

Not impossible.

I agree telemetry data is primarily for self assessment, but it's not the sole use.

Last edited:
Here's most post again so you can read it properly.

Note the use of 'could' and 'if'.

I am not wrong.

It 'could' help, 'if' the person viewing my data is using the same setup.

Many setups are very similar.

All of my beginner tunes are very similar in feel..

I have one resource with a review. So that resource must have at least one person using the tune. I still use that exact setup, so if I record data and send it to him, he could learn from my data.

If you disagree you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

I never said anything about you and me using the same setup.

It is plausible however, that two drifters could use identical or very similar setups, due to the fact they have very similar, or identical driving styles.

Not impossible.

I agree telemetry data is primarily for self assessment, but it's not the sole use.

So, you are saying that in the small case there are people using the exact same tunes, have the same driving style, use the same kind of input device, etc etc... Maybe they could learn from this data logger.

I'm sorry, but that is one very big IF, and frankly, watching each other in a lobby is just as good, probably even better. Drifting isn't science mate, it's about feeling.

So, in my opinion, it won't make any kind of addition. To GT6 drifting that is.

So, you are saying that in the small case there are people using the exact same tunes, have the same driving style, use the same kind of input device, etc etc... Maybe they could learn from this data logger.

I'm sorry, but that is one very big IF, and frankly, watching each other in a lobby is just as good, probably even better. Drifting isn't science mate, it's about feeling.

So, in my opinion, it won't make any kind of addition. To GT6 drifting that is.
Thankyou.

That is your opinion and your are entitled.

Doesn't make me wrong.

Re read my earlier post again and you shall see that I also think learning technique and establishing a style is all down to first hand practice.

Edit

And I think you would be surprised how many people run similar setups.

Thankyou.

That is your opinion and your are entitled.

Doesn't make me wrong.

Re read my earlier post again and you shall see that I also think learning technique and establishing a style is all down to first hand practice.

Edit

And I think you would be surprised how many people run similar setups.

The reason you are wrong, is by stating something, that practically every drifter will disagree with, and going for the: 'If you want me to admit im wrong, prove it' attitude used by religious people. :/

And what do you consider similar setups? The slightest changes to a setup can have HUGE impacts on handling.

The reason you are wrong, is by stating something, that practically every drifter will disagree with, and going for the: 'If you want me to admit im wrong, prove it' attitude used by religious people. :/

And what do you consider similar setups? The slightest changes to a setup can have HUGE impacts on handling.
Oh please.

You have disagreed with me.

Give it time.

The sheer fact someone made a thread about it insinuates that the OP thinks the idea has merit.

So he, presumably, agrees that some people could benefit. He started the thread to gain clarification on opinion.

We have given our opinion on this subjective matter.

Feel free to let someone else give theirs without telling them they're wrong.

You are wrong for saying no body could benefit.

If only one person benefits, that's somebody benefiting, proving you incorrect.

I like a stiffer, stable front end and a soft rear for lots of grip on the throttle.

As I said, some one is using one of my resource setups. That must mean they like the setup, and like a similar setup to me.

I'm not sure why its so hard for you to grasp?

Yes, some people like to run odd setups for whatever reason, but this doesn't mean everyone is running completely unique setups.

This is all subjective.

Neither of us can be wrong. It is our opinion, nothing more.

If ones setup won't work for other people, then why have I had multiple people personal messaging me thanking me for posting it and asking for my other setups? This technology can be used to help each other, as from it you can see how others are perhaps getting around a corner you have difficulty with. For example, let's say the last section of Willow with the tight bend that leads to the big right. It would be useful too see what kind of steering input and accelerator/brake input people are putting in. Now that you have a general idea of what to do, you can try replicate that to achieve similar success.

As for the system as a whole, I think it's completely unpractical as it would mean having to buy a GT86(If you don't have one already, obviously) and then paying to go to a track and recording your laps. It's only advantages to this niche segment of people and from it they can learn a lot about their setup and style of driving.

So... the treta has been planted?
Sorry, but that escalated quickly...

I think that FuzzyFez got my point, but Gonalez is also right about the "feeling" thing. Same setups, same devices, analising how he is modulating and turning while the car stills stabilized drifting around the corner. And even still, yes... there would be necessary to feel the real thing to do.

Because just looking at the videos of people showing their performances, it looks ridiculously simple, indeed. Yet still for me it s kinda abstract what angle and direction i am turning with all that wheelspins, and why or how the wheel is rebounding depending the situation.

I´m sorry, im just trying to have any faith on the game developement and trying to find a reason to stay here. Every week i access GTP expecting to see something related to the Track Creator or some new interesting cars. I just hope that 1.06 not be limitaded to this GPS feature only.

Oh please.

You have disagreed with me.

Give it time.

Yes, and I will always disagree on this point. There is nobody that will benefit from this. At all. Show me that person, except yourself or a troll, and I might change my opinion.

So... the treta has been planted?
Sorry, but that escalated quickly...

I think that FuzzyFez got my point, but Gonalez is also right about the "feeling" thing. Same setups, same devices, analising how he is modulating and turning while the car stills stabilized drifting around the corner. And even still, yes... there would be necessary to feel the real thing to do.

Because just looking at the videos of people showing their performances, it looks ridiculously simple, indeed. Yet still for me it s kinda abstract what angle and direction i am turning with all that wheelspins, and why or how the wheel is rebounding depending the situation.

I´m sorry, im just trying to have any faith on the game developement and trying to find a reason to stay here. Every week i access GTP expecting to see something related to the Track Creator or some new interesting cars. I just hope that 1.06 not be limitaded to this GPS feature only.

First of all, its Gonales. ;)

Secondly, I sincerely hope you are right, about this not being the only improvement. The last patch was really good, with the new DT mode lobbies... It's made the game fun again, but there is still SO MUCH they need to improve. :s

First of all, its Gonales. ;)

Secondly, I sincerely hope you are right, about this not being the only improvement. The last patch was really good, with the new DT mode lobbies... It's made the game fun again, but there is still SO MUCH they need to improve. :s

Sorry, i have big fingers. :lol:

BTW, what is the magic to make the DT counter disapears?
Is there any other more viable option than just turn off the HUD?

Sorry, i have big fingers. :lol:

BTW, what is the magic to make the DT counter disapears?
Is there any other more viable option than just turn off the HUD?

Do sections. Or just have everybody (like usually the case on Stowe), go reverse. Tada! :P

Regarding the "1.06´s GPS Visualiser", my comment is; "What?". We ask for tracks, cars, liveries, free beer, world peace, and they give us a GPS Visualiser ? In my opinion, that adds exactly this to the drifting community.................wait, I'm thinking....
Regarding the drift points - and going slightly off topic - exactly as they said, Lazy, just do sections or go in reverse. If you open a lobby such as the ones I been doing entitled (or along the lines of) "NO POINTS, JUST TANDEM!", and, as usual, some "points drifter" (?) gets on your way...well...you i think you know what to do ;)

The data logger was in GT5...I never used it myself.

If I want to study other people's lines or inputs, I watch them, or save a replay of them.

As far as the GPS visualizer, as was pointed out by a few people on the main page in the 1.06 thread, this GPS Visualizer could be the first step along a path that will lead to the lines between virtual and reality becoming even more blurry (note that most people are speculating that this feature WILL NOT tie in with the GPS course maker, at least not directly, and not in the near future).

My problem with this, is it is a step down a path that, in order to fully realize it's potential, will more than likely take 10-20 years before it is accessible and useful for the average GT player....my guess, is due to the complexities, usefulness for drifting may take even longer.

As things stand right now, the feature will only useable on Tsukuba, Fuji, and Suzuka (maybe Motegi too, but I have yet to see mention of it).

I'm not sure about what cars will be able to use it...some seem to think only the Toybarus at the moment, and the Nismo GTR in the near future, while others feel that any car with a compatable CAN bus (or something like that...cannibus?) will be able to make use of it.

I will still wait until Apr 7 to make a final judgement, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm really hoping for some useful fixes, tweaks, and additions along with 1.06 (camber fix, online stability, wings on the RZ and GTS-T, removal of clicker in D-mode, off track TCS, etc), but again, not holding my breath.

OMFG!!!! I could kiss PD right now :D. Off track TCS is only active in grass and gravel!!!!!

I can drift on alllllll the pavement at Stowe!!! Let the madness begin :D

Edit: oh, and we can customize wings on a bunch of cars now :). Another cool feature (about time...)
That's what I'm talking about good job kaz, Time for more sections.

OMFG!!!! I could kiss PD right now :D. Off track TCS is only active in grass and gravel!!!!!

I can drift on alllllll the pavement at Stowe!!! Let the madness begin :D

Edit: oh, and we can customize wings on a bunch of cars now :). Another cool feature (about time...)

I must be drunk, stoned or something... but Willowspring has no TCS at all, including all the dirt areas!

I don't think it will change much for drifting or racing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use the GPS visualiser you need to have a Toyota GT86 in real life, get a data logger for it and you need to either go to Fuji, Suzuka or Tsukuba. Not many of us have access to all 3 of these things.

I don't think it will change much for drifting or racing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use the GPS visualiser you need to have a Toyota GT86 in real life, get a data logger for it and you need to either go to Fuji, Suzuka or Tsukuba. Not many of us have access to all 3 of these things.

Any car I do believe, but yes, the data logger sold by Toyota, and those three tracks.

Back