Will the PS4 support more cars on track, and will PD pursue adding them?

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 19 comments

Snaeper

Premium
United States
Phoenix, AZ
GTP_Snaeper
I'm not one to say that 16 cars isn't enough but I'd love to see a handful more to really get two well-defined class races.

And on tracks like Le Mans and the Nordschleife, it can get pretty lonely racing the circuit even with a full grid on the track.

So to re-iterate: Is the PS4 powerful enough to support more AI/Online opponent cars on the tracks at a single time and will PD look into adding them if the power is there?

(And if you're able to speak freely on the matter Yamauchi-san, how many would we be looking at?)

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
If I can comfortably race against up to 62 AI cars in 8 year old sim game GTR2 (track dependent) on a 4gb PC I'd be disappointed if a PS4 racer doesn't have at the very least fields of up to 32.

Last edited:
Well, if indication from another developer is anything to go buy, it looks like 16 is the max for online, offline might support more, so we'll see what happens.

You should probably head over to this thread and Like it as well. It even has a poll for how many more than 16 cars you'd prefer, and three pages of discussion. Maybe they could be merged.

Iracing is the only way to go for full field online competition.
EEEhm, topic asks PS4, Not PC.
A bit offtopic then?

Comparison. Short google search.
Ps4 8core 2.75Mhz cpu----------PS3 Single core 3.2Mhz cpu
800Mhz GPU 8GB GDDR5 Ram-----550Mhz GPU 256MB DDR3 ram

Ignoring harddisk speed, Yes, PS4 should be more than able to support that.
Depending on the game engine, It should.
BUT!! i see youtube clips for GTA5, They have those online races, i did not see a larger number of 16.
I dont know how many people can enter one GTA5 world. 16? 32? more?
Is that limit on purpose on the servers? to get more lobbies/worlds?

Offline, i don't think it would be a problem. Online? you get the server lagging issues and bad ping players( yes they still appear) if there are too many.What is the max count?
Is MMORG possible? (MMORG:Massive Multiplayer Online Racing Game)

But will PolyPhony support it?

Okay well, I have my source from pCARS, and you have a "no".

Sorry if you haven't changed my mind.

Your source is unconfirmed rumors that PCars will be limited to 16 players.
And even if this is true, it's a problem with how SMS has done things. We've already given plenty of evidence to support the fact that the consoles, both past and present generation, can support more than 16 players online.

Simply put. If Pcars can't handle more than 16 cars on track, be it offline or online. It's a result of SMS not doing a good enough job. Correct me if I'm wrong, but offline grids should require significantly more ressources from your system than online, as it has to calculate AI. It makes no sense if offline can have more cars on track.

I'm not familiar with console racers featuring more than 16 people at a time.

SMS has no problem putting 32 cars on track for online, since they can do it offline. The limiting factor isn't the hardware or the software, but internet connection speeds, which are still too inconsistent to capably handle more than 16 people.

I'm assuming the "examples" you're referring to are the open world shooters?

All I mean is that expectations should be for 16 people online. Id like my expectations to be exceeded, of course. But anyone putting the blinders on and thinking we can't possibly continue on with 16 cars risks running off the cliff of disappointment.

Except internet connection clearly isn't a limiting factor. As shooters do in fact prove.
With p2p, you can experience lag regardless of whether you have 4 people online, or 16. If one person has a bad connection, or lives across the world, it affects all of you. But on that same merit, if 16 players living relatively close to each other and with good connections are in the lobby, the experience should be lag free. Same goes for higher numbers.

We've already established that a singler player grid takes up more ressources. So if the single player grid is higher than the rumored online limit, something is wrong on the side of SMS.

There's also nothing stopping SMS (at least not from a technical standpoint) in having dedicated servers (Driveclub will have dedicated servers btw).

16 cars on track without any lag, frame drops, screen tearing etc would be a nice start. Only then should they add more cars, & I'd be happy with 24 or more.

Except internet connection clearly isn't a limiting factor. As shooters do in fact prove.

I still don't understand how you think that's proof. You're comparing two totally different games and expecting them to be able to do the same thing. It's a logical fallacy.

We've already established that a singler player grid takes up more ressources. So if the single player grid is higher than the rumored online limit, something is wrong on the side of SMS.

That's only assuming that single player and multiplayer use the same exact resources, which they don't since they're different game types.

And since GT hasn't used dedicated servers in the past, it would be unreasonable to assume that they'll start using them in the future. Would I like for them too? We all would. But I wouldn't expect them to if I were you.

So since SMS doesn't use dedicated servers and gets 16 cars online at the same time, and GT hasn't used dedicated servers in the past and have made no indication to do so in the future, it's safe to say that we'll likely continue to only see 16 cars online moving forward.

Again, I'd like to be wrong.

You should probably head over to this thread and Like it as well. It even has a poll for how many more than 16 cars you'd prefer, and three pages of discussion. Maybe they could be merged.
Replying because I made that thread ;) Hopefully the 'likes' here can 'like' there. Theyre very similar, and only 4 days apart from creation.

Back