Will you dare to try it (cobra / economy tires)?

France
Dijon, France
URBANCOCKPIT-1
Here is the recipe for this almost impossible challenge:

Arcade mode - one of the real circuits - one cobra (shelby, yes the sick one in blue) - no drivers aid at all - difficulty: 0 - power unchanged - weight unchanged - and finally economy tires.

I started it this morning:

Infineon: 6th (and messy)
Fuji 80': 4th :) (that was so hard to do)
Suzuka: 5th but I pushed :(
Tsukuba: 5th (clean, clean !)

This is funny to see the I A cars having a real hard time too to stay on the track...

I will continue when I have time to go thru all the real circuits and try to have the best place I can have (only one try).

And what about you ?

I think I'd cut out the middleman and shoot myself in the face.

The real-life Cobra was never equipped with "economy" tires (trust me). I'm sure Shelby and/or original Ace creator AC wanted to be more prepared on the racing tracks. Even in the 60s!

You might need some serious therapy, nurburgring. It is okay to feel the urge to set yourself up for failure! Just don't blame "mom" or any of the other typical Freudian scapegoats.

Just kidding. This sounds like quite a headache, but at least you're not wasting time driving a Dodge Ram into minicars, so more power to you! :lol:

Last edited:
The real-life Cobra was never equipped with "economy" tires (trust me). I'm sure Shelby and/or original Ace creator AC wanted to be more prepared on the racing tracks. Even in the 60s!

YOu might need some serious therapy, nurburging. It is okay to feel the urge to set yourself up for failure! Just don't blame "mom" or any of the other typical Freudian scapegoats.

The economy tires in this game reflect well the fact that even sport tires in the sixties were very bad compare to now... This car is well knowed to be overpowered compared to his suspension and tires combination. It was a little bit better when properly prepared for racing...
Mechanics who delivered this cobra version were used to do bet about when the car will returned to the factory in a crashed status, because the new owner was unaware of the difficulty to ''handle'' this kind of car.

For sure I dont like easy challenges... and this is the perfect therapy for what I have ! :)

N1s are probably about right to, if anything, a little MORE grippy than what the car would've had for RACE duties in the 60s.

So anyone of you had a least try to be better that what I did until now ?

Because I am not done with this yet...

Until now this is the best moments I lived with this game (excepted the great LAN parties I played a year and half ago).

Unrealistic grippy cars are not my cup of tea anymore.

I've won at all four Fuji tracks and Suzuka with no shortcutting (and have not tried the other tracks yet), and trying to keep the AI contacts to a minimum. I'm doing 2-lappers with a closed roof (five opponents). It's really pretty easy when you figure out how to drift and slide this beast around the turns.

Edit: I've also won the Infineon tracks, the Suzuka short courses, Tsukuba, Tsukuba Wet, and Sarthe I. I have yet to try Sarthe II (I suspect winning is impossible hear without blatant cheating), Laguna, Nurburgring :scared:, and the Motegi road tracks. The Motegi oval was very difficult and I've only managed fourth, but I think it's possible to win there with impeccable car control.

Last edited:
Now THIS is a challenge.

I didn't have alot of time, but I managed a 3rd at Nurburgring the other night.

I've won at all four Fuji tracks and Suzuka with no shortcutting (and have not tried the other tracks yet), and trying to keep the AI contacts to a minimum. I'm doing 2-lappers with a closed roof (five opponents). It's really pretty easy when you figure out how to drift and slide this beast around the turns.

Edit: I've also won the Infineon tracks, the Suzuka short courses, Tsukuba, Tsukuba Wet, and Sarthe I. I have yet to try Sarthe II (I suspect winning is impossible hear without blatant cheating), Laguna, Nurburgring :scared:, and the Motegi road tracks. The Motegi oval was very difficult and I've only managed fourth, but I think it's possible to win there with impeccable car control.

Wow... I can say that you have a perfect control of this well-named ''beast". I would loved to be as good as you. The most difficult for me is to not release too quickly the gas pedal (car will slide more from the rear wheels, due to the huge amount of torque).

I do every time 4 laps closed top, looking at the Mercs sliding... I finished 3th on Suzuka (very happy except for one 360... on the track). And 5th on Infineon. And 2nd on Laguna Seca (others cars have a really hard time, except for the Viper and AC Cobra ???).

What is your feeling about this kinf of challenge ?

I feel it very rewarding, because I need to be 100 % right. You have to be perfect, with the car almost always sliding, and better that the AI cars that have traction control and ASM. Riding an M3 GTR on Nurburgring on difficulty 10 is so easy compare to that...

Last edited:
Now THIS is a challenge.

I didn't have alot of time, but I managed a 3rd at Nurburgring the other night.

Continue to try, this is very rewarding...

Happy that you qualify this as a challenge ! :)

By the way, I have a home made cockpit with logitech (the one before the G25), with an old steering wheel that you could find in the old Cobras... take a look at my sig.

This is the perfect combination for an addictive way of driving.

Last edited:
No, I don't think it's that I'm so great with the car. If you are doing 100% clean races, then your achievement is far greater than mine. I try not to hit the AI but it's often unavoidable (Suzuka West!), and I usually have a couple contacts per race and sometimes an off into the grass or sand as well. Perhaps the AI is slower for me too because I have tire wear on (and so the tires are cold for the whole race). I'll try to win the remaining tracks soon if I can.

Edit: Now I've attempted them all, and have won each track except Nurburgring (close second), Super Speedway (close second in 8 laps), and Sarthe II (distant third - I hate the gearing).

Last edited:
Well, the tires it came with were still probably worse than the economy tires in game.

Hmmm, I disagree. Even for the '60s, the Cobra would have had the top-line tires available....customized just for that car. Tire technology for street cars sucked back then, but it was starting to develop on specialty cars, and I believe Shelby would have been interested in cornering better than the competition.

I would guess at least N3-quality on the Cobra road-car version. 💡

Last edited:
lmao this is so weir youre actually steering the car with the rear, its fun, did a race at infineon, finished second by .003, got too wide in the haripin, and got passed

Hmmm, i disagree. Even for the 60's, the Cobra would have had the top-line tires available....
Which would be roughly equivalent to the crappiest tires available today.

Remember, the S3 tires are supposed to be equivalent to something like Michelin PS2s or something.

Which would be roughly equivalent to the crappiest tires available today.

Remember, the S3 tires are supposed to be equivalent to something like Michelin PS2s or something.

Is that so? Where did that info come from? I'm curious cuz I've always equated N3 tires with summer radials and N2 tires with all-seasons. N1s are those really crappy tires that last like 6 months and have a generic name you've never heard of! :lol: They're so cheap, I wouldn't even know where to shop for them. Costco maybe.

Last edited:
Back