Williams F1 Force Feedback Wheel: Is it worth it?

• Thread starter vtec_guy
  • 25 comments
Hi everyone,
I've been saving up for a Logitech Driving force wheel for the past 2 weeks but the shop that is selling it is shutting down before I can get the money to buy it. So i've had a look around and found this wheel which has a force feedback feature and, unlike the DF wheel, a stick shifter. Do you think it's worth it? if not do you know any other wheels with force feedback in a similar price range?
Here's a link to the wheel

Thanks in advance for any help,
Matt

Well, you can't beat the price, but is it compatible with GT4? Keep in mind that a very good wheel, the Momo, is 100% incompatible. GT4 doesn't even begin to recognize it. Could be the same with this one.

Damn, that's cheap. I've found another shop near me that sells the df but ill have to see which one i want once i have the money for the DF. It depends on my patience really.

One thing you might want to keep in mind: Apparently Logitech has revised the DFP, making improvements that address the many problems people have had with early ones. If you get one, you sure don't want to get a unit that has been sitting on a shelf for months. You definitely want to get the latest version.

How you can be sure of this, I have no clue at all, but its something you really need to look into.

vtec_guy
Damn, that's cheap. I've found another shop near me that sells the df but ill have to see which one i want once i have the money for the DF. It depends on my patience really.

Have patience dude, it's definitely worth it! The DFP is the best wheel on the market, its 900 degre radius and the awesome feedback and precision leaves no doubt. It's so realistic that it takes GT4 (and gaming in general) to another level! Try to control the Minolta on a straight in 275mph - it'll wear you out! Sweat, tired arms; just like it should be when driving that fast! It's simply awesome!
Or what about taking an Impreza (or basically any rally car) around the rally circuit Grand Canyon; you'll feel every single piece of gravel or dirt that touches your tires!

And why wait for shops to open/shut down/whatever, just order it online - that's cheaper aswell :)

I've got friends that never enjoyed car/racing games (even though I've tried to persuade them several times), but once they tried the DFP they were like "Just one more race before it's your turn!" :D

Save your money for the DFP; it's better to wait 1 month extra than to have to spend 1-2 years with a lesser wheel.

The DFP was made for gt4....y not just wait and get it....you won't be dissapointed with it...if u buy another wheel however....you will be...besides....it is reliable as hell i heard of other wheels breaking within a year...i have had my DFP for over 2.....(just because i was waitin for gt4...then they delayed a year....)

You won't regret it. My friend came over and played GT4 with a DS2 and he didn't like it (he was used to playing RD2 with a joystick on the computer). Once I got the DFP, He loves the game. The two things that sold it for me were the liscense tests on the unchicaned mulsanne in the Nissan LMP and the one with the M5 on Fuchsrohre and Adenauer Forst. You can really feel the cars speed and momentum. I can't imagine playing without the DFP.

I was thinking about getting the DFP but i heard alot of the pedals braking but ya if you slam on them i guse they would hugh? :dunce:

Remember that everyone who ever broke their DFP will come onto these forums and post about it. It's not uncommon for the 0.1% of a product's customer base that had trouble to get together and decide that 100% of the units must be broken and tell everyone so.

In short, you can't guage how widespread the problems are by reading forums.

If as many of the DFP's were defective as folks around here imply, the product would not have been successful on the market, and Logitech would have had to pull the product off the shelves to save themselves the cost of all the returns. A product can't stay afloat if a significant percentage of the units are defective.

Anyway, mine has worked fine since day 1. And it's seen a lot of use. And that will probably be most people's experience with them.

- Skant

I can only agree, wait until you can get a DFP. They don't all break and even if it does, it'll have a warranty period. Kudos to you for asking for opinions and being polite too, good luck and hope you get a reliable DFP and many hours of enjoyment from it.

I bought my DFP about 2 weeks after GT4 came out, and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. It's solid and accurate.

After having purchased a DFP with GT4, I don't think I could return to using the DS2 controller. The DFP simply gives so much more precision. I've even made the switch to manual transmission with it also. I'd have never tried that with the DS2.

My DFP has never broken, it has had weird moments in GT3. I recommend the wheel, its great, completly worth it!

Radicool02 i also live in Australia and i can't find anywhere that has the gran turismo steering wheel where did you buy yours?

Schumack

I have a serious question... I live with my dad and he really loves his living room.. to a point where installing a desk in front of the tv to fix the DFP would not be possible. Does that make it impossible for me to play? Does the DFP require any kind of flat and solid surface to fix it on to be able to play with it comfortably?

Best Regards,

Ed

YES, you will need something to mount it to. I hated my wheel until I set something up. However, look on eBay for this little number. I've heard good things about it and I was planning to buy one until I made my own stand. It looks compact and easy to put away.

ive now played one one and think that its better than the DFP proberbly a little ott but its a sweet wheel with the digital display and sequential shift style stick. im gunna be purchasing one on saterday.

I bought the williams wheel yesterday, it really is awesome and registers absolutely fine with gt3 and 4. It's just as good as a DFP and at only £49.99 it's much better value for money than the dfp. It's awesome, anyone who doesnt want to save for ages to get a dfp they should definately get this one. It's the same deal as the DFP but just a hell of a lot cheaper.

Back