Windows 11 will not delete or copy files

• Thread starter Jezza819
  • 13 comments
United States
Alabamistan
I'm having a problem with my gaming PC. It's Windows 11. I tried to delete a file and copy another one and it would not perform either command. I just get this popup saying it's "preparing" and it will just sit there forever if you let it. How can I fix this?

Screenshot 2024-05-26 171114.png

The one I was trying to delete is 265mb.
Okay, not that big. I saw someone had a similar problem with very big files, but probably a different problem then.
You can try to delete the file by shift-delete, that should bypass the discovery part. But then the file is permanently deleted and you won’t be able to retrieve it from the recycling bin. And it doesn’t solve the copying problem.

Okay, not that big. I saw someone had a similar problem with very big files, but probably a different problem then.
You can try to delete the file by shift-delete, that should bypass the discovery part. But then the file is permanently deleted and you won’t be able to retrieve it from the recycling bin. And it doesn’t solve the copying problem.
Yeah it's very strange. I've never seen it before. I've deleted files 10 times that size and they just go instantly.

I tried it again today and it deleted it with no "preparing" so I don't know what got into it the other day.

I tried it again today and it deleted it with no "preparing" so I don't know what got into it the other day.
I've had files do something similar where they won't delete, a reboot of my PC has fixed it every time... so far.

I've had files do something similar where they won't delete, a reboot of my PC has fixed it every time... so far.
The PC I'm on now is my everyday old system that is Windows 10. Occasionally the Explorer box will hang up when trying to search for something and you can't close it without going into task manager to reset it. But I do restart it once every week.

The PC I'm on now is my everyday old system that is Windows 10. Occasionally the Explorer box will hang up when trying to search for something and you can't close it without going into task manager to reset it. But I do restart it once every week.
:eek: I restart mine every day... and it's not very old... but it is very, very full which slows it down a lot, and causes some hanging issues.

:eek: I restart mine every day... and it's not very old... but it is very, very full which slows it down a lot, and causes some hanging issues.
I was doing that until my power button failed a couple of years ago. That's I went to the once a week thing. It takes Chrome about 30 seconds or more to open up a new browser window so I know about the hanging up thing.

I had something similar for a couple of months, and I thought it was some kind of virus. Turns out, it was my SSD dying, which I couldn't guess until it completely died on me at one point. I realized this when I tried to reinstall the system on it.

Open up a command prompt with administrator rights.

type SFC /scannow

Let that finish.

type chkdsk /f

Command will likely say that it needs to reboot in order to do so. Do what it says on screen.

I was doing that until my power button failed a couple of years ago.

I got myself one of these because I couldn't be bothered racing down to my machine each time.

Back