Wings...stock versus aftermarket

Parnelli Bone

www.gtcarreviews.com
Premium
United States
Columbia, MD.
Parnelli_Bones
I'm just trying to see if anyone has any opinions on how wings are set.

In other words, when you buy a wing, it has numbers that go from 0 to 30. But if a car has a wing that operates as default, usually the numbers are different...like maybe they're set at 08 and 12 at the lowest, and can be raised to 13 and 18.

Does that make any sense?

So if i set an aftermarket wing (from GT Auto) to 13 and 18, does anybody think it equals .13 and .18 on a car that has modifyable aerodynamics when stock? Any opinions?

Last edited:
I would say that the best way to double check is to see what the A-Spec rating of the car was in each circumstance.

I think they'd be the same ... but you can never be too careful with anything involving software :D.

Great topic as always Parnelli. :D

While in most principles it would be the same, there does seem to be some differences between the two. Best example would be using the Lotus Esprit V8's. The Sport 350 has an adjustable wing as standard but the SE & GT models need the GT Auto wing to get downforce. The handling differences can be best felt between them.

What I'm actually more curious to know is the differences between the straight type and 3D type wings, and finding out are specific wings better for some cars and worse for others. Like, will a straight type CB Wing be better than the 3D Type CB Wing around a circuit, 1/4 mile or 1000m use, etc.

Sukerin: interesting. I'll try that. :)

mafs: well a wing shouldn't influence a short acceleration run...the difference could be felt perhaps when doing a run around the entire Test Course (the car with stronger downforce should in theory be slightly slower).

...i'll have to test this later. Unless someone isn't busy this after noon ;)

mafs: well a wing shouldn't influence a short acceleration run...the difference could be felt perhaps when doing a run around the entire Test Course (the car with stronger downforce should in theory be slightly slower).

No, even within 400m, a wing will influence times by up to 3/10th second regardless of the drivetrain. It's how it's set along with the other parts (suspension, gearing, ballast, etc.).

Great topic as always Parnelli. :D

While in most principles it would be the same, there does seem to be some differences between the two. Best example would be using the Lotus Esprit V8's. The Sport 350 has an adjustable wing as standard but the SE & GT models need the GT Auto wing to get downforce. The handling differences can be best felt between them.

What I'm actually more curious to know is the differences between the straight type and 3D type wings, and finding out are specific wings better for some cars and worse for others. Like, will a straight type CB Wing be better than the 3D Type CB Wing around a circuit, 1/4 mile or 1000m use, etc.

Most of the curved wings I think would allow for some kind of lift to get in the pocket's of air? I would think the straight wings would be the best? I'm not sure if the curved one's would cancel it's self out either?

No, even within 400m, a wing will influence times by up to 3/10th second regardless of the drivetrain. It's how it's set along with the other parts (suspension, gearing, ballast, etc.).

really? :boggled: damn, i learn something new everyday!

Great topic as always Parnelli.

Seconded. Even though I have no knolwedge or input for the topic this is pretty fascinating stuff. Pls keep going.

EDIT: Requesting names of a few stock cars with adjustable wing, for anyone that has the time. You haven't given us any examples Parnelli for comparison.

But I already did you convict, use Lotus Esprit V8's. :P;)

Ah sorry squire, we poor folk don't gets to see these fancy machines often. I reckons you make magic in that engine-box-thing.

Serious though, any others? I believe I used the word 'comparison'? You'd need to check the variation on times for different wing settings on at least two cars to do this properly.

To tell you the truth mate, I think Greycap would have a better idea off the top of his head than myself. I knew the Lotus was one instantly, but there's a couple of others I can't think of right at the moment.

I'd try this out myself, only prob is i'm too busy doing the tc4 judging that MAFS recuited me for! :lol: I only got 7 days to finish testing as many rear-drive cars as i can! :crazy:

Back