Winners of the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge Announced

• Thread starter EL_ZISSOU
  • 28 comments
EL_ZISSOU
nws12666118611959203.jpg

Introducing the Winners of the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge
Feb 22, 2010

Last December, Polyphony Digital invited Gran Turismo fans in the US and Canada to test their skills in a demo featuring the latest iteration of Gran Turismo 5 to see who the best Gran Turismo players truly are. The dust has settled, the results are in, and now it is time to reveal the identity of the winners of the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge who will be making their way to the 2010 Indianapolis 500® Mile Race as VIPs this May.

The demo's advanced driving physics, built from the ground-up to replace the physics engine from Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, provided a high level of realism and challenge as players competed in time trial events with standard and tuned versions of Nissan's 370Z on a special layout of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Pulling ahead to take the top spot for all of the United States was Carl Posey from the great state of Kentucky. After some intense jockeying on the rankings chart, when the flag dropped he finished with the fastest time for all of the United States. His fastest time with the standard Nissan 370Z was 1'47.643, with a time of 1'35.608 for the tuned 370Z, and a combined time of 3'23.251 for the event.

Here is what Carl had to say about winning this great honor.

I want to thank Sony Computer Entertainment of America for organizing the GT5 Time Trial Competition and allowing people from all over North America and the world to compete in this event and get a glimpse of what lies ahead in Gran Turismo 5.

I would also like to thank Kazunori Yamauchi and the rest of the team at Polyphony Digital for creating such a great series of games, and for giving players from all over the world the opportunity to compete against each other. This event has been great fun.

In order to win the competition, first and foremost, I spent a lot of time practicing, using my Logitech G27 wheel.

I guess you could say that through a trial and error process, I eventually developed a few main strategies for both cars. I always tried to make a habit of minimizing tire spin/ squeal as much as possible. Generally speaking, if the tires are squealing, you are losing traction and losing time. At almost every corner, my aim was to use the absolute minimum amount of braking possible, and when I had to brake I made sure I did so as smoothly as possible. I use my left foot for the brake pedal, because it allows me to apply brake and throttle simultaneously when necessary. It also makes trail braking, a smooth braking technique, very easy to pull off. This helps the car turn better through the corner and helps keep the car more stable. The third main thing that really helped me was “slow in, fast out.” It’s simple and obvious, but it’s absolutely crucial to fast lap times.

I also like to race against ghost replays from faster times than mine to race against and keep me on my toes. Not everyone does this, but for me it kept me motivated and helped me know if I was having a good lap or not.

When I was "in the zone" I was able to remember these important tips, and they all helped me to achieve the fastest time in the U.S. Gran Turismo 5’s driving physics are very realistic, so my previous practice with other Gran Turismo games (I hold quite a few #1 lap times in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue) also helped prepare me to do well in this competition.

Representing Canada as the competitor with the fastest combined time in all of North America is Bruno Lafrance of Quebec. His fastest time with the standard Nissan 370Z was 1'47.676, with a time of 1'35.569 for the tuned 370Z, and a combined time of 3'23.145 for the event.

Here is what Bruno had to say about this great honor.

I am very thankful to have been selected as the Grand Prize winner for the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial challenge.

I think what helped me the most in being successful in this Time Trial is my past experience with the series. Gran Turismo 4 is the game that got me started, but the time and effort I put into Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was especially helpful. I never thought I could improve that much in one month by playing several hours a day on average. And I was even able to put skills learned and refined in Gran Turismo to use in real life, when I graduated from Bridgestone Racing Academy's "Advance to Racing" course, racing a 2008 Van Diemen formula car.

After the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge, I am very excited about Gran Turismo 5 and how it will help me become a better driver in the game and on the real track.

PlayStation and Polyphony Digital congratulate Carl Posey and Bruno Lafrance, and thank them and all of the participants who downloaded the Time Trial Challenge demo and entered the competition.

This coming May, both Carl and Bruno will be headed to Indianapolis, Indiana, receiving round-trip airfare and hotel accommodations for two (winner and guest) to attend the 2010 Indianapolis 500® Mile Race, a.k.a. the Indy 500®. Each will also receive a VIP package that includes two all-access passes for Carb Day® (final Indy 500® practice, pit stop competition, special concert festivities, special event car rides in a 2010 Indy 500® event vehicle), all-access passes to the garage, pit area, and Victory Lane for pre- and post-race celebrations for the race, and two VIP suite tickets to enjoy the race. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, especially for racing fans like Carl and Bruno.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5201.html

Great job Carl!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And likewise to Brock, who was sitting in your back seat (I didn't even know they made a 2+2 model)
badteethy.gif

Good job guys and congratulations to both!! 👍

Carl.. amazing speed and is great to see a GTP'ler to be in the top 2 👍

Some well-deseved recognition for one of the nicest guys in the entire GTPlanet community, a tremendous achievement.

Although I must say that quote only starts to sound like our boy Carlito from the 4th paragraph onwards ;)

All the best
Maz

Very well done Carl! Some seriously good laps there.

The trip to Indy sounds good - would be great to see some photos when you get back.

By the way, both you and Bruno look like you can hardly contain your excitement in those mugshots! :lol:

Congrats to Bruno and Carl for acheiving the fastest time in your respective countries.

I know Carl is an GTP member so I have to say thanks for representing GTPlanet in the best possible way.
Carl, any idea if you are related to Sam Posey at all?
It seems likely, due to being into racing, albeit virtual racing.
Have fun at Indy Carl, you deserve it.

Great job by all the GTP members in the top 21, including dramakid and of course a great 2nd place time by timeattack.
A personal congrats goes out to Superwally and EDK.

Thanks for the kind words guys. And to my publicist, EL_ZISSOU--the check is in the mail ;) :lol:

Seriously, when the person from Sony asked me for a statement, I first thanked my friends here at GTPlanet, along with my U.S. friends, Timeattack, drama-kyd, EL_ZISSOU, FASJ, and EERS4YEARS and congratulated them on their finishes as well, but Sony edited that out, as well as me saying hi to friends and family in Kentucky :indiff:

They then asked me to instead offer tips regarding how I managed my times, and the result is what you see in the statement above--with some heavy editing from Sony--which is understandable. And I actually had to take that picture myself :ill: as I didn't have any recent pictures to give them.

But I really wanted to say hi to everybody here at GTPlanet and thank my U.S. friends who made the competition so enjoyable :cheers: Especially Brock--our times were so close at the end, it could have just as easily been you winning this event 👍 In fact, on that last day or two, I was fully expecting you to overtake me, and I think if you had another hour or two, you probably would have. I'm just fortunate to have barely stayed ahead with the margin in the Tuned Z.

I guess I'd just like to thank everyone here at GTPlanet for making the GT games so much fun. The series is great on its own in single player mode, but without that sense of community and competition, the game just isn't the same. When I first started interacting with this community a little less than a year ago, I got a much needed reality check and realized how many truly great GT players there are around the world.

I knew then that if I wanted to compete with these great drivers, I would have to improve dramatically. But I wouldn't have been able to get better without the help of friends here at GTPlanet--like Brock, drama-kyd, CWR, LinPark, and EL_ZISSOU who were patient enough to wait on me during races while I was learning to use a wheel. And I also want to thank people like Dan Holland, Timppaq, FAK, Bruno and others, whose great replays served as valuable resources to learn how to improve my driving. The people here at GTPlanet are what really makes the GT series fun and worthwhile, and I'm very thankful to be part of such a great community :gtpflag:

@01GTP

As far as I know, I'm not related to Sam Posey, but Posey is not a very common name, so who knows?

Last edited:
Seriously, when the person from Sony asked me for a statement, I first thanked my friends here at GTPlanet, along with my U.S. friends, Timeattack, drama-kyd, EL_ZISSOU, FASJ, and EERS4YEARS and congratulated them on their finishes as well, but Sony edited that out, as well as me saying hi to friends and family in Kentucky :indiff:

They then asked me to instead offer tips regarding how I managed my times, and the result is what you see in the statement above--with some heavy editing from Sony--which is understandable.

Heh heh I was thinking it probably happened something like that, but I wanted to wait and hear from you before saying anything. Congrats again, and if you don't find a date for Indy I still have the dress Spyrrari let me borrow for speed-dating.
badteethy.gif

Congratualtions guys.

(Perhpas change the title to "...of the US gran tu...?)

Thanks for the suggestion- just so you know, I did consider the thread title carefully. I believe the Time Trial Challenge applies to North America, although I didn't notice any mention of Mexico in the article (perhaps since the 2 grand prizes only went to Canada and the US). I think elsewhere the demo is referred to as the GT Academy.

Congrats to the winners!

I'll have to get more track time if I want to be in their league!

I've got some catch'in up to do!

Does anyone know how many Canadian and U.S. entries there were in the 370Z Indy Road course Time Trial?

I want to know how bad I was!

Thanks for the suggestion- just so you know, I did consider the thread title carefully. I believe the Time Trial Challenge applies to North America, although I didn't notice any mention of Mexico in the article (perhaps since the 2 grand prizes only went to Canada and the US). I think elsewhere the demo is referred to as the GT Academy.
Fair point.

Thanks for the kind words guys. And to my publicist, EL_ZISSOU--the check is in the mail ;) :lol:

They then asked me to instead offer tips regarding how I managed my times, and the result is what you see in the statement above--with some heavy editing from Sony--which is understandable. And I actually had to take that picture myself :ill: as I didn't have any recent pictures to give them.

But I really wanted to say hi to everybody here at GTPlanet and thank my U.S. friends who made the competition so enjoyable :cheers: Especially Brock--our times were so close at the end, it could have just as easily been you winning this event 👍 In fact, on that last day or two, I was fully expecting you to overtake me, and I think if you had another hour or two, you probably would have. I'm just fortunate to have barely stayed ahead with the margin in the Tuned Z.

I guess I'd just like to thank everyone here at GTPlanet for making the GT games so much fun. The series is great on its own in single player mode, but without that sense of community and competition, the game just isn't the same. When I first started interacting with this community a little less than a year ago, I got a much needed reality check and realized how many truly great GT players there are around the world.

I knew then that if I wanted to compete with these great drivers, I would have to improve dramatically. But I wouldn't have been able to get better without the help of friends here at GTPlanet--like Brock, drama-kyd, CWR, LinPark, and EL_ZISSOU who were patient enough to wait on me during races while I was learning to use a wheel. And I also want to thank people like Dan Holland, Timppaq, FAK, Bruno and others, whose great replays served as valuable resources to learn how to improve my driving. The people here at GTPlanet are what really makes the GT series fun and worthwhile, and I'm very thankful to be part of such a great community :gtpflag:

@01GTP

As far as I know, I'm not related to Sam Posey, but Posey is not a very common name, so who knows?

Well you've already heard this from me...but congrats once again Carl 👍 :cheers: I'm glad Sony FINALLY contacted you btw! :lol:

It was a great pleasure competing against you in the US GT5 demo TT, as well as the few others that were nipping at my heels along the way :sly: :lol: Just being able to compete against folks that are as talented as you guys is a great joy for me, as I really enjoy bringing out the competitive/fighting spirit it takes to win 👍 (or to try to in my case :dunce: :lol:)

It's been amazing to see your progress in the past year or so...seriously :drool: Without a doubt in my mind, you've been the most improved GTplanet driver of 2009...so you ought to be very proud of your hard work, dedication, talent, and smarts to have gotten to where you are my friend :bowdown:

Well that's all from me - Have fun at Indy! And hopefully we can continue to have great battles in the future, whether it be here on Gtplanet or possibly in a future US/North American GT Academy event (I hope!) :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Congratulations, Carl - I didn't realize you were from Kentucky, so that was quite a pleasant surprise as I was reading the article there. Have fun at Indy!

Carl, did you not tell them Kentucky is abreviated KY? :lol:

But seriously, congratulations, Carl. You are a bad dude, It wasn't even a year ago when me and you became friends, and started battling each other for 20th-30th spot on the GT5P TT boards. :) How times have changed! A good prize for an excellent driver. But you, and TA, are both very deserving of a shot at the GT Academy. 👍 Enjoy Indy, make sure you get your GoDaddy gear ready for Danica!

Congratulations again Carl on your well deserved win. :bowdown: btw what is this "special event car ride in a 2010 Indy 500 event vehicle"?....:dunce::)

Congratulations, Carl - I didn't realize you were from Kentucky, so that was quite a pleasant surprise as I was reading the article there. Have fun at Indy!

Hey, thanks Jordan, and thanks for giving us all such a great forum to get together and talk :cheers:

Carl, did you not tell them Kentucky is abreviated KY? :lol:

But seriously, congratulations, Carl. You are a bad dude, It wasn't even a year ago when me and you became friends, and started battling each other for 20th-30th spot on the GT5P TT boards. :) How times have changed! A good prize for an excellent driver. But you, and TA, are both very deserving of a shot at the GT Academy. 👍 Enjoy Indy, make sure you get your GoDaddy gear ready for Danica!

Thanks man :) you are a pretty excellent driver yourself 👍

Congratulations again Carl on your well deserved win. :bowdown: btw what is this "special event car ride in a 2010 Indy 500 event vehicle"?....:dunce::)

I don't know exactly what this event ride is going to be. My guess is it will be in a pace car maybe? If it's in a two-seater open-wheel car that would be awesome. Actually, getting a ride in any relatively fast car around Indy would be great :)

I'm really busy this week but i just wanted to come by quickly to congratulate Carl, Timaattack, El Zissou, Z06fun and the other guys for a great event 👍

I had a blast and hopefully we will all be eligible for GT Academy the next time.

:cheers:

:gtpflag:

Well now, I wonder how our man Carl is doing? I saw a picture of Kim Kardashian riding in a two seat Indy Car that looked rad. I assume Carl and Bruno got a ride too. I can't wait for an update from the virtually fastest guy in America...

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I just want to again thank Sony and everyone at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for being so nice and helpful and making it possible for me to get to see a real track up close and in person. I'd like to also say hi to the Canadian--and overall North American winner--Bruno and his Dad 👍 It was great to get to meet you in person.

The highlight for me was getting a two lap ride around the track.
We didn't get to ride in the Camaro pace-car :( but we did get a very nice ride around the track in a Chevy Impala :).
I think the lady who drove us around was named Jill? I'm sorry if I've gotten it wrong, I'm bad with names to begin with, and I was working on zero sleep Friday morning.

sdc19358.jpg

That's me by the Impala.

sdc19341.jpg

Camaro Pace-car up close

sdc19342.jpg

Interior shot of the Impala

sdc19353.jpg

Heading down the start/finish straight at about 105mph

sdc19346.jpg

Turn 2 at about 90mph

sdc19359.jpg

Me and Bruno

sdc19384.jpg

The Delta Wing prototype

sdc19362.jpg

Inside the suite where we got to see the events

sdc19415.jpg
]
A view of Hullman Blvd in the infield

sdc19425.jpg

Turn #7 in the infield

sdc19381.jpg

Victory Lane/Podium

sdc19393.jpg

Indy Lights car up close

sdc19390.jpg

Cockpit of an Indy Lights car

These are the best pics I have. Again, thanks to everyone involved who made this possible. And thanks to everyone at Indy who was so nice and helpful :cheers:

Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us what looked to be a great time, Carl. 👍

You worked hard for a grand prize and I too would like to thank Sony for giving us the chance to compete for a real prize.

And if Bruno is lurking, congrats to you too buddy. ;)

Looks like you had a great time Carl! Thanks for sharing and :cheers:

Jerome

Back