Winning the Formula GT Championship Series with a C-Class Race Car

• Thread starter cpp214
  • 11 comments

cpp214

Premium
United States
Kentucky
GTP_CarlPKY
If there is one thing I've learned since discovering GTPlanet a few months ago, it's that I am not nearly as good at the GT series as I thought I was :dunce:
However, I was curious if anyone has tried to win the Formula GT series with a C-class race car.

One of the things I prided myself on in GT4 was the fact that I was able to win the Formula GT series (not just one race, but the series) with a few of the C-Class race cars such as the Minolta Toyota, Sauber Mercedes C-9 and Pescarolo Judd. I used the search function to see if a similar thread had been started, and all I could find was an entry by someone who managed to win the 127 lap Motegi Speedway race in the Sauber Mercedes. So, if I have overlooked a previous thread that covers this in detail, please forgive me, and I will close the thread myself.

But, in case this is not redundant, I would be interested to see if there are other people who have undertaken this challenge and managed to do it successfully. If memory serves me, only about half of the races (at least for me) were winnable with a class C versus the F1's. The secret to winning the championship was just winning the ones that were winnable, and racking up points in the other races. I think Monaco in particular was one race that was nearly impossible for me to win.
Also, I'm fairly certain I was only able to be competitive with the F1 cars after making all possible upgrades to the race cars. For some, this may take away some of the sense of accomplishment. The only track you could possibly win a race in the Formula GT series with a stock C-Class car would be at Motegi Speedway (I think?).

Has anyone tried this, and if so, did you find this to be an enjoyable challenge? And also, are there more cars out there capable of achieving this, that I haven't mentioned above? I think I am going to fire up the PS2 tonight and see if I can knock off the GT5P-induced rust and try to do this all over again.

Last edited:
Class C cars in my opinion especially the Sauber C9 and the Minolta 88C-V are the best for the Formula GT. Yeah, their turn speeds may not be as high as the F1 cars but their top speeds when fully tuned are 250mph+. Speed is the key in the straights. As for tire wear, you can win the races just like that. The FGT cars all use Racing Medium tires. They will be pitting in every 6 to 7 laps in every race as opposed to 10 to 12 laps with the Class C cars. I highly recommend the Minolta 88C-V as it is the best handling Class C car.

Indeed, it is most certainly possible. I did several of the races in the series for 200 pointers in a black Mazda 787B with a Stage 4 Turbo and no oil change, which wasn't terribly hard, and there are certainly faster cars than that to use. The Chaparral 2J with a Stage 3 Turbo was my choice for the tracks with slow corners like Monaco and New York, because it has so much better speed in slow turns. All Group Cs and the fastest LMPs are capable stock, as long as you're a reasonably good driver. Motegi Super Speedway is actually just about the hardest, along with Tokyo and Suzuka, because of all of the fast corners where the superior downforce and lower weight of the FGTs comes most into play.

Thanks for the responses guys 👍

Once again, I realize that I haven't broken any new ground in the GT World :D
But that is a good thing. Hopefully this thread is not useless after all. Maybe some other people who are returning to GT4 (or still enjoying it) during the wait for GT5 (come on PD, soon, please :lol: ) have never tried winning the Formula GT Championship with anything other than a Formula GT car. At least now they will know that it is indeed possible, and fun too :)

Just booted up the PS2 now, and I am going to go back and try this one again. Hopefully it will be easier now that I have a wheel :lol:

Wondering if it would be possible with the Audi R8, that car seems to be so nimble and probably the closest to an f1 in handling out of the others, its a LMP not a group c but it still has nice tyre wear rates, and has a good top speed.

Of course it is; Greycap posted a link to a race report featuring the R8 in the championship and winning. I also know that a couple people swept the event in that car for 200 point races, meaning starting on R1s and not changing the oil, so it can most certainly be done. However, Group C cars would be faster, if perhaps slightly harder to drive than the beginner-friendly R8.

I'll definitely call it possible. No idea if I could do it myself or if you can do it but Old Geezer and Guyver 1 have done it.

A Broad Sword vs Five Rapiers
Completing F1 Championship with stock Audi R8

If the Audi can do it the Pescarolo should be more than capable. Very possibly the 88C-V and R92CP too.

mynameissport completed it in a Pescarolo.

I myself did all but Suzuka in a Black Mazda 787b for 200 points each.
If you check out the Stock Car Thread or Extreme and Special Conditions there are some valuable tips located in these two sections.

Hey Guys....

Question: Can one exit the F.Gt Championship and pick it up the next time Ps2 gets used again? or will doing this loose what races have been done?

Tks

:scared:

I posted this after completing the series in a stock Audi R8. No upgrades and no oil.

It's taken me a while, but I've finally completed the Formula GT for max points!👍

Extreme Hall: Formula GT - All Races
Car: Audi R8 race car '01 (R2/R2 or R2/R1) / MR / 770HP / 900kg / 1.2kg/HP / 200 A-spec

The hp-value shown is from after I'd completed the series, I never made a note of the original value, but the car was brand new with 0 miles on the clock when I started.
I used the settings posted by mynameissport for his Pescarolo, I found they worked just fine with this car as well. I started the series using an R2/R1-combo, but eventually settled for R2/R2.
The extra pitstops were more than made up for by the improved laptimes. This was especially noticable at Infineon and Suzuka, races mynameissport described as difficult, but I found them to be fairly easy with R2's at the back, being able to match or better the AI's pace in addition to making fewer stops.

The most challenging races were probably the Ring and Seoul, somewhat surprisingly. By the time I got to the Nürburgring, the car was fairly worn out, and was very difficult to keep under control. Had to let up on all the straights to prevent it from going off.
At Seoul, I was still using the R2/R1 combo, which produced a lot of oversteer that really crippled me on that track.

mynameissport

Settings:

Tyres: R2/R1 except Super Speedway where I did R2/R2

Springs: 12.0/12.2 (For bumpy/twisty go for 10.0/10.2 or 11.0/11.2)
Rideheight: 80/82 (For bumpy/twisty go for 90/92)
Damper Bounce: 3/3
Damper Rebound: 6/6
Camber: 2.0/1.0
Toe: 0/0
Stabilisers: 5/5 (For bumpy/twisty went for 5/4)

Gears: Used the tranny trick, move final to match each track's longest straight with some extra rpm’s to get slipstream in the FGT for extra speed

Brakes: 6/6

Driver aids: ASM 0/0 with some TCS

Downforce 63/88
LSD: 15/30/20

@stigmaxiii:
You can save between races, and turn off your ps2 safely.

Last edited:
Hey Guys....

Question: Can one exit the F.Gt Championship and pick it up the next time Ps2 gets used again? or will doing this loose what races have been done?

Tks

:scared:

..@stigmaxiii:
You can save between races, and turn off your ps2 safely.

Dont abondon the Championship, after saving, just exit. You will then get messages on screen saying your are currently entered in to that championship.

If you try to do something you are not allowed, it will give you a warning saying you are currently in a championship.

When you boot up again you can enter the hall you are completing in and it will ask you do you want to continue.

Back