Wired vs. Wireless + Cooling methods.

• Thread starter go6
  • 9 comments

go6

United States
New York
TEAMworkPLEASE
3 Questions
  1. Do you use Wired or Wireless internet connected to your modem or router?
  2. Whether you are Wired or Wireless, What are your DOWNLOAD & UPLOAD speeds?
  3. If your Playstation 3 becomes very hot while playing Gran Turismo 6, How do you cool it down so you can race for an extended period of time without lagging or freezing?

• Wired internet from my Router
    • (+-)14mb/s DOWNLOAD & (+-)1mb/s UPLOAD
    • I have my PS3 lifted slightly off the table with a CD case under it. Then I freeze water inside a soda can and place them all around the PS3 so it lifts the cool air under it and dessipated out the rear.
NO TELL ME HOW YOU RACE WITH GT6 HARDWARE SPECIFICALLY.

• I use wired connection right now.
  • Download/upload speeds are: 17.4mbps/3.5mbps
  • I have my PS3 sitting on a USB laptop cooler with an additional very small fan clamped to the desk aiming at the back left corner of the PS3. I have the fan angled in a manner so that it is blowing at an angle across the back of the PS3. (so as not to blow dust into the back of my PS3)
The fan was a recent addition just as a precautionary measure. I have been using the laptop method for about 4 years now with out a hint of over heating. My PS3 stays on anywhere from 8-10 hours a day, every day, again, without a hint of over heating.

As my friend @GTPorsche has said, get rid of the ice/water, you're just asking for trouble. My suggestion would be buy yourself a cheap laptop cooler, that should be all you need.

I can second the laptop cooler idea. I used one for a couple years when I had the space for it in my setup (now I use one of those external USB fans to keep heat from rebounding from the wall) and it always ran a single speed quieter. If your PS3 is no longer under warranty, I'd suggest looking up disassembly instructions for your specific model and thoroughly cleaning out the interior with canned air (don't use a vacuum). If it is still under warranty or you're not comfortable with doing that, just carefully direct canned air into the vents. Do not buy one of those external fans that clamp on to your PS3.

I can second the laptop cooler idea. I used one for a couple years when I had the space for it in my setup (now I use one of those external USB fans to keep heat from rebounding from the wall) and it always ran a single speed quieter. If your PS3 is no longer under warranty, I'd suggest looking up disassembly instructions for your specific model and thoroughly cleaning out the interior with canned air (don't use a vacuum). If it is still under warranty or you're not comfortable with doing that, just carefully direct canned air into the vents. Do not buy one of those external fans that clamp on to your PS3.

Yes, those are a bad deal. Like I said, the fan I have is just more or less blowing across the back of my PS3, dissipating the heat that builds up there.

EDIT: Here are some ideas for lap top coolers if you, or anyone else, would like to go in that direction.

http://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Cooling-Pads/SubCategory/ID-319

Last edited:
Yes, those are a bad deal. Like I said, the fan I have is just more or less blowing across the back of my PS3, dissipating the heat that builds up there.
I'll add to this, just to explain why the snap-on coolers are so bad. A properly efficient cooling system draws in about as much air as it expels. Cool air comes in and the hot air goes out at about the same speed. Too much air in and it gets bottlenecked on the way out after it gets heated. Too much air out and the air can't circulate between everything before being removed. It is the same reason that houses with central HVAC need blower vents and return vents. Most of the snap on vents simply blow more air into the system, and the ones that do both usually do it at a rate that is slower than the internal fan already does (meaning you can starve the system for air).
Which I suppose is better than the circa-2006 360 versions, which just tended to catch on fire.

The PS3 models have always been pretty good about getting the most efficiency of their cooling systems (40GB possibly excepting, since they cut down more vents and fan swept area then was probably advisable); so your best bet would be to make sure the system is clean and the vents are unobstructed then go from there with cooling pads and external air direction.

I have last gen of Slim PS3, and I never heard the fan running ( very quiet ). How many speed step does the fan have ? When it's on highest speed, is it loud like on big PC cooler ?

I have last gen of Slim PS3, and I never heard the fan running ( very quiet ). How many speed step does the fan have ? When it's on highest speed, is it loud like on big PC cooler ?

I'm in the same boat as you. I was aware, somewhat, that the PS3 fan did have different speeds, but mine is also very quiet and never really heard it kick into "high speed", except for maybe on start up.

@Tornado Great explanation 👍 and that is exactly why (along with the dust reason) I only have the fan blowing across the back instead of directly right at it. I also perform monthly cleaning maintenance that includes opening it up and blowing it out along with cleaning the lens. I'm pretty anal when it comes to keeping my electronics clean and new looking. :crazy:

One method I have used for cooling is to place your playstation on or near an air vent, only flaw is you need easily accessible air vents wherever your game setup is.

If you can deal with it, another method is to adjust the temperature in your house so that cool air is constantly flowing through your home.

Another method is to use a fan with a reasonable amount of power aimed at a frozen water bottle, placed parallel to your game system, there should be at least a foot of space, and the fan shouldn't be aimed at any vents.

One more technique would be to use a laptop cooling fan. While the benefits may be reduced since they are purpose built to math specific vents on laptops sometimes, it would still provide some cooling potential.

Back