• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 6 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
On April 24, 1996; the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) was established. It has become the highest level of basketball for women in the United States. Many players and teams over the years have established themselves as some of the finest in the league. There were great teams including the likes of the Houston Comets (now defunct), Los Angeles Sparks, Seattle Storm, Minnesota Lynx, Washington Mystics, and many other teams. Many players have shown their strength the likes of Diana Taurasi, Swin Cash, Sheryl Swoopes, Candace Parker, Elena Delle Donne, Brittney Griner, Rebecca Lobo, and others.

Contrary to popular belief, you are not a joke just because you even mention the WNBA, let alone follow it in some capacity. Even if you don't think female basketball is as entertaining as when males play basketball, leagues like the WNBA are still competitive and entertaining sports leagues that deserve even a modicum of attention. So I have opened this thread in case we have any WNBA fans here on GTPlanet. It is also to help offer some extra discussion of sports topics. I thought of trying to come up with a thread for the 2020 season of WNBA basketball I have also wanted to start a WNBA thread on GTPlanet for the longest. For now, though, I decided to make this a general thread regarding WNBA basketball. We can still discuss the upcoming 2020 season as of the time of this post.

News of today from the WNBA include the WNBA recently agreeing to a collective bargaining agreement good through 2027. The salary cap was increased to $1.3M USD. There will be better pay for WNBA players with this new CBA. I think there will also be pay for athletes for players on maternity leave. Here is an article on Yahoo! Sports detailing some of the many things of note regarding the new CBA for the WNBA: https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-playe...e-family-benefits-with-new-cba-151309427.html

That's all. Now let's talk WNBA Basketball!

[UPDATE/OMISSION]
IMPORTANT DATES:
* May 15, 2020: Opening Day of the 2020 WNBA season
* May 15 - July 10 - Commissioner's Cup tournament
* September 20, 2020: Conclusion of the 2020 WNBA season

Last edited:
In recent WNBA news, I heard the league is considering expanding the regular season from 34 games to 36 games. There will also be a Commissioner's Cup tournament. You can learn more about recent changes to the WNBA by looking at this article:

https://www.wnba.com/news/2020-wnba...6-game-schedule-for-teams-and-more-abc-games/

I'm interested to see how this Commissioner's Cup tournament plays itself out and how it will be implemented. I have updated the opening post to reflect a few key dates.

The 2020 WNBA Draft will take place this Friday. I'm sure it will not be the usual sort of draft fanfare, but it will be a chance for these ladies to take part in the next WNBA season.

Former University of Oregon star player Sabrina Ionescu was drafted with the first overall pick to the New York Liberty. She also signed a deal with Nike. The 2020 WNBA Draft did not have the usual fanfare and social gathering thanks in part to COVID-19/Coronavirus. So this was all done virtually with loads of video conferencing. To see all of the results of the 2020 WNBA Draft, take a look at this page: https://www.wnba.com/draft2020/ .

I still am not sure about if or when the 2020 WNBA season will commence.

WNBA fans, get ready! Today is the debut of the 2020 season of WNBA basketball! The defending champions are the Washington Mystics. ESPN is set to show the Seattle Storm at the New York Liberty at the top of the hour. Sabrina Ionescu, who was awesome in college, will make her WNBA debut when she plays for the New York Liberty. Here is the schedule for today:

* SEA Storm vs. NY Liberty
* LA Sparks vs. PHX Mercury
* IND Fever vs. WAS Mystics <<< defending champions, WAS

Enjoy the 2020 season!

[UPDATE] Games at IMG Academy in Florida- no on-site places. Changes made.

Last edited:
We have a new Champion! The Seattle Storm swept the Las Vegas Aces in a best-of-5 series 3-0 to win the 2020 season of WNBA basketball. The Las Vegas Aces had an awesome season. However, Seattle was just that much better. All congratulations to the Seattle Storm on a job well done!

The 2021 season of WNBA Basketball began this weekend, or perhaps starting on this past Friday. Enjoy the 2021 season if you're following!

Latest Posts

Back